Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

.38 Special

Go down 
+6
metalinmyveins
the sentinel
stepcousin
ultmetal
tohostudios
DallasBlack
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 3:31 am

Any fans? I love the music of .38 Special from the early southern rock to the AOR pop and back to the southern rock. The only full albums I have at this time are the s/t debut and Bone Against Steel. I have also had other albums in the past but not on CD. Until I can expand my collection I have Live In Sturgis to hold me over. If you everl liked these guys then you'll want to check out Live In Sturgis (I also have the concert of tape-wish I had it on DVD-which includes a medly and two covers). For those who only like the early southern rock, the last two albums they did was a return to form. Bone Against Steel is one of my favorite non-metal albums of all time and while it has many of the AOR elements of the min-late 80s material it also has quite a few southern rock numbers. Judging from the concert tape I have, this band would be awesome to see live-these guys put on a good and fun show. Danny Van Zant and Don Barnes have amazing voices and Barnes and other guitarist Danny Chauncey can play the hell out of their instruments.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:56 am

Yep. Love them, especially the early stuff. Saw them on a bill with Def Leppard and Jefferson Starship back around 1980. Talk about a strange concert pairing.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 8:11 am

They are one of those bands that I think are OK. If they come on the radio, I can enjoy the song and don't switch stations. However, when I get hold of their CDs they tend to bore me and I have traded them all off. A bit too light, AOR, poppy for me most of the time. I love Southern Rock, so their earlier stuff is better IMO. However, when it comes to Southern Rock, I'll take Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 8:14 am

Or The Outlaws.

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 7:12 pm

Fav of the Southern rock bands. All the Van Zants (sp?) were cool, but I got hooked on 38 Special after seeing the movie "Teachers" (I am a Crispin Hellion Glover slut!). One of the best soundtrack tunes EVER!

On a side note, Daughter Saxon's first concert was 38 Special! We brought her downtown on a wonderful summer evening, the smell of ribs in the air, and she was too short to see anything! She still has the t-shirt, although she probably could not name one song! I guess I have better memories of that night than she does. haha

I also saw them open for Bon Jovi at the old Met Center - skipped BJ and scadaddled across the street to the Carlson Celebrity Ballroom to see Quiet Riot (with Chuck Wright - QRIII, I am pretty sure). That was weird. Seeing QR whilst sitting at a table.
Back to top Go down

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 7:16 pm

I have one of thier cds (title not coming to mind right now), but last time I checked it was selling for about $80! Apparently it has not seen re-issue, IE: Billy Squier - Signs of Life (ebayed that just in time - about a month before the re-issue - gross $87!)
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:56 pm

I like em, especially their early stuff. After a while they started writing nothing but love songs..."she left me, dont leave me, why did you leave me, I left her, I should leave her, come back to me, go away from me......" It gets a bit tiresome. But ive always loved their guitar oriented sound.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 12:48 pm

I have been hearing them a lot lately since we have been playing the "arena" rock channel on satellite at work. I have started picking up cds of bands from the eighties that I grew up with on the radio but never owned the music. Since it was always on the radio, I figured why buy it. So I have picked up some reissues of bands like .38 Special, Triumph, Foreigner, Loverboy, Night Ranger, and other slick AOR type stuff. It's been a nice change from Heavy Metal in the car, Thrash/Death Metal in the gym, Power/Progressive on the computer while I am online at night. Peace.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 9:17 pm

I don't mind their southern rock style, but it was definitely more of their pop/radio top 40 stuff that got me interested in them. I love songs "Caught Up In You", "Hold on Loosely", & "Like No Other Night".

I saw them in the summer of 93 with Marshall Tucker Band for free: My motto with probably everyone else out there is, "Free is good"!
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 9:22 pm

My brother played them way too much when I was growing up. But I still enjoy Tour De Force though.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Listened to Resolution (the re-union album with Don Barnes) the other night and have no idea why I got rid of it the first time. This is a great album that shows a band that has matured over their long carreer. Gone was the 80s pop sound (which may be what turned me off the first time) and in it's place is a good balance of southern rock and blues based rock. Don Barnes and Donnie Van Zant's voices are amazing and so is the guitar work of Danny Chauncey. If the pop sound they became known for turned you off from them, check this album out (you could probably find a cheap used copy somewhere). I will be listening to this CD on a regular basis from now on.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 6:22 am

They played a free concert in my town a few months back and I was front row for it. I had never seen them before, but I love their music. They put on a fantastic show, I would definitely see them again.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 6:55 am

Been on a 38 kick lately. This is prime melodic, southern rock! My favorite songs are... Hold On Loosely, Rockin Into The Night, Caught Up In You, Chain Lightnin', Rough Housin', Second Chance and Wild Eyed Southern Boys. Great band, need to see them live.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 2:43 am

What movie was their song "Back To Paradise" from? It was a movie with either Chevy Chase or Rodney Dangerfield i think.
Back to top Go down

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:28 am

Troublezone wrote:
What movie was their song "Back To Paradise" from? It was a movie with either Chevy Chase or Rodney Dangerfield i think.

Couldn't find the soundtrack listing online, but the song was written by Bryan Adams (!)
Back to top Go down

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am

Troublezone wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:
"Back to Paradise" is also featured on the Revenge of the Nerds II soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:44 am

38 Special also did a cool theme song for the Nick Nolte flick "Teachers" (one of my old favorites)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:45 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
38 Special also did a cool theme song for the Nick Nolte flick "Teachers" (one of my old favorites)

In 5th grade my lip-sync band (it was all the rage in '85) "The Zeetaz" did that song in class one day. Smile
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 7:05 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

I heard about that, i should see that movie.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 8:40 am

Troublezone wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I heard about that, i should see that movie.

It was a pretty good flick for the time (84 or '85)... haven't seen it in years so I'm not sure how well it's aged though. It's noteworthy because JoBeth Williams (a.k.a. the MILF from "Poltergeist") has a nude scene. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:25 am

And Crispin RULES!! [as always]
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 5:16 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
And Crispin RULES!! [as always]

Especially in Rivers Edge.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 7:54 pm

I really like the ballad Second Chance. A song that until recently I didn't know it was them, I heard it a million times but never noticed who did it. Great song.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 8:30 pm

spiritoradio wrote:
I really like the ballad Second Chance. A song that until recently I didn't know it was them, I heard it a million times but never noticed who did it. Great song.

That was after Don Barnes left and was replaced by Jeff Carlisi for many years (88-97) so many people probably didn't realize it (i.e. me).
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 8:46 pm

My favorite 38 Special song is from Rock N Roll Strategy. "Little Sheba"; I just never tire of that song.

That said, I'll aways have a fond spot in my heart for Rockin' Into The Night because of my college days. Good times!

.38 Special Empty
PostSubject: Re: .38 Special   .38 Special Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

.38 Special
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next