Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So I started working out

Go down 
+6
mc666
iamrockerfun
Thrasher73
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
kmorg
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

So I started working out - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Mr. Blob Boy in the morning of my wedding day. Not huge but definitely a chubster. This is about how I looked when I graduated from Rookie School as well....

Budding man boobs and a heart attack gut

So I started working out - Page 2 SCAN0003-1

So I started working out - Page 2 SCAN0005

Now.....Mr. Not There Yet but getting closer and better by the day.

So I started working out - Page 2 IMG_0227

So I started working out - Page 2 IMG_0224
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 12:43 pm

Scott (Douglas/Mitchell),

At what times of the day do you eat these?

The rest of the day will look like this:

One can of Chunky Soup. I always get a kind that the full can is under 300 calories.

Protein supplement. 16 oz of skim milk and 1 1/2 scoops Musclemilk. This is post-workout

One bag of coleslaw cabbage and maybe just a wee bit of chopped meat or some nuts for flavor and texture. I fry the cabbage in Zero calorie butter flavored Wal-Mart brand spam. The whole bag is 100 calories and fills me big time. I get some ruffage, too. You can replace the cabbage with a bag of frozen veggies, a couple cans of green bean or whatever non-starch veggies you like.

Two fruits per day. Banana, apple, orange etc.....

One can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup. 150 calories and filling.

Protien bar OR another Veggie and meat meal. This will have much more meat but still keep it lean.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 12:49 pm

It depends. For me I like to have my heavier or heaviest meal about 2 hours before I know I'm going to lift. I can't do it on an empty stomach ( I prefer to eat RIGHT before lifting, running, playing but that messes up my routine)

SO, it depends on when I train. If I'm going to lift at 2:30 the protein drink will be around 3:00 (right after) and thus my highest caloric meal (besides breakfast) will be at 12:00.

I shoot for this general pattern concerning meal plans.

6 - 9 - 12 - 3 - 6 - 9

If you rise later just alter it but if you do the 6 meal/every 3 hour thing it could be 7-10-1-4-7-10.

I also drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day and schedule them too! They help give my mouth and stomach something to do in between meals. It's all part of my rhythm. I thrive on ritual.....

I also comine the smaller items into one meal to get roughly 250-350 calories per meal. Nothing exact but I try to be even. So with the Chicken soup I might have a banana and with the cabbage an orange. Something like that...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 12:54 pm

I have to get moving and eat right. As for lifting, I don't see that happening, but I want to get in some sort of shape for the first time in my life.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 12:59 pm

i need to too dude! Lets do it.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 1:00 pm

i eat about 5 or 6 times a day. i never was a fatty, so i don't have any particular diet. i just avoid junk/fast foods for the most part. i've been working out with weights & running since i was a kid, so i've never really been out of shape. of course, i'm not quite 30 yet, & your metabolism changes in your 30's & 40's

T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 1:02 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Mr. Blob Boy in the morning of my wedding day. Not huge but definitely a chubster. This is about how I looked when I graduated from Rookie School as well....

Budding man boobs and a heart attack gut

So I started working out - Page 2 SCAN0003-1

So I started working out - Page 2 SCAN0005

Now.....Mr. Not There Yet but getting closer and better by the day.

So I started working out - Page 2 IMG_0227

So I started working out - Page 2 IMG_0224
but.....my budding man boobs "look" like impressive pecs when wearing a t-shirt?!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 1:03 pm

T-Roy wrote:
i need to too dude! Lets do it.

I agree, Troy. I just have to get in the excercise habit. I tend to plan on doing it all the time and end up never doing it. I get so frustrated with myself.

mc666 wrote:
your metabolism changes in your 30's

No lie, I gained 25 pounds shortly after becoming 30. It's been downhill since then for me.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 1:05 pm

Put your shirt on, man! You're hurting my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!

In envy, that is! Laughing

Anyways, I'm not really fat, and I'm certainly not overweight. I think I weigh in at around 85 kilos (about 170 in your measures?), and I am 181 cm long (have no clue how to "translate" that, look it up!), so that's not bad. BUT, however, recent studies have shown that it's not always the weight that is the problem. It's the body mass! And there lies my problem. I have this good year blimp I need to get rid of. Now, I already eat moderatly healthy. In Norway the bread we eat daily is already with way more grains that the average English white bread, or sandwich bread. And on top of that , I love the whole grain stuff, so that is what I eat. We also eat fish at least once a week, and we try to have vegetables of some sort (or a salad) for each dinner. We are also very big on fruits, so we each eat at least 1 or 2 sorts of fruit each day (apples, bananas and pears most usually). I also make my own "treat", made of yoghurt, cereals (the raising and fruit mix, with NO sugar)) and a touch of honey.

And here is the problem I'm batling: SWEETS and SODA. I am quite the Cocaholic, and used to drink in-between 1,5 and 2 litres of Coke each day! Now I'm down to maybe 1/2 litre or a little over, and I've switched to Cola Zero. Still not good enough, but better than the sugar with flavor that is Coke. And I also used to be a sucker for something sweet every night, bee it chips or cheese doodles or some candy. In fact, I stopped eating the evening meals, and switched to candy bars or whatever! Now this had to stop, but I have still a long way to go. Now I try to eat my home made "treat" instead, or maybe some fruits, or nuts. I've discovered a nuts and dried fruits mix that I really like. But *I have to be careful with this too, as it seems they have added sugar to the dried fruits, and nuts actually have quite the amount of fat in them!

I had my second day at the gym today, and although I did the same routine (almost anyway) today, as I did on Saturday, it was a little harder today. I think it is becasue I was already more tired after work. I also got to work way more on my brething techniques. But I think this could become a habit. I had my p3-player withme, and nothing beats looking lean, mean and powerful (or weka and feeble, like me) when listening to Ultimatum, Running Wild and Nevermore!!

Now this might be the longest post I've ever posted here!!!! Shocked

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 1:10 pm

kmorg wrote:

Now this might be the longest post I've ever posted here!!!! Shocked

...and it completely made sense. Laughing

I wish you all the luck in the world, kmorg. I hope you get fit!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:10 pm

Kmorg - 5' 11'' (about) and 187-88 pounds (a lot of powerlifting is done metrically so I've got the formulas vaulted)

Kmorg it's a wonderful start. Knowing yourself and your weaknesses is the biggest thing.

You too Spectre. You know you don't like/want to lift? So don't! If there's something physical you do like - do that! That's what I meant by "moving". We just have to mimic our ancestors way of life which was work, work, work.

Well, if we don't work we can do something else that gets us up and moving. Walking, biking, hiking, some ball game, a part time job that's hard, something.

Spectre - I applaud you for your admissions. Corny to say, but that's the first step. Find that "carrot". Make a HUGE bet (your CD money goes to your wife by June 1st if you don't drop 15 pounds by then!). Very Happy

I'm an incredibly lazy bum. No lie. I HAD to be drastic at first to jump start my lifestyle. That's why I do those extreme bets. I don't like to go running ( I HATE cardio) but there's NO WAY IN HELL I was giving my spending money to my Mom or my Wife. Now that I've been doing it for so long it's a lifestyle. A habit. I now plan ahead and take protein bars or drinks or fruit or granola bars with me because I KNOW.....KNOW!!! that if I'm out and about and get hungry I'm NOT ordering a salad with fat free vinagrette! I'm eating garbage. So I plan ahead.

I do the groceries and I do two things:

#1 - MAKE A LIST

#2 - Go on a full stomach!

My bane is chocolate and baked good/pastries and ice cream. IF IT'S IN THE HOUSE I'M EATING IT!! SO, I go to the store with a list and a full stomach and those things don't come home with me.

My brothers, it's not easy. Look at Blob Boy on his wedding day. I've been in your shoes and I was only 25 years old in that picture. I even STILL HAD A metabolism then!!! I ate like a wild animal. I lived in an apartment and I remember many a day taking a tube of chocolate chip cookie dough (2000+ calories) - frying it in a pan and making a giant cookie and then eating it in one sitting!!!!!!! My caloric intake for a day now I'd eat watching a movie!

It was HARD to stop doing that but - and you don't really know me - but I have an addictive personality and food is one of my struggles - so I 100% understand the plight.

PM or Email me if you want to dig deeper. I'm no expert per se but I've been there and I love to see people taking these steps in their lives.

Maybe you can make your "carrot" bet with ME!! I'd love to take your CD money!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil (or applaud you when you get to keep it!)

Later guys!!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Quote :
I've discovered a nuts and dried fruits mix that
I really like. But *I have to be careful with this too, as it seems
they have added sugar to the dried fruits, and nuts actually have quite
the amount of fat in them!

That's great snack! But I too had to watch my nut intake (leave it alone, fools!!). They are calorie dense and though they have good fats - it's still fats - and they can sneak up on you quick. It goes back to moderation (which I can tell you're learning already).

At the CMR we have a "Weight Room" where we talk about this stuff, share ideas and some of us post our training routines - for accountability and just to share - and I like that. I go there and the Metal room the most.

What about doing that here? It doesn't have to be a weight room (Arttie is a BIG weightlifter guy) but it could be a fitness room. Though I LOVE lifting I struggle with eating and don't like cardio so I can use on-line partners too. Just a thought.....

BTW - I hope Arttie sees this thread. He's a fount of knowledge and can help you guys out a bunch as well, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 5:56 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

BTW - I hope Arttie sees this thread. He's a fount of knowledge and can help you guys out a bunch as well, I'm sure.

Nah, let's hope he doesn't, as he will only post some obnoxious shirt-less pictures of himself too! Laughing very hard

just kidding

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 6:58 pm

Quote :
What about doing that here? It doesn't have to be a weight room (Arttie is a BIG weightlifter guy) but it could be a fitness room.

I already have a fitness room

So I started working out - Page 2 DSCN1040

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:01 pm

Smart guy!! angry

But hey, that's a nice set up you got. Perfect, actually. For general fitness you really don't have to get very elaborate.

I have a more "pit" type arrangement in my garage but I REALLY need to start doing cardio. I lift fast with little rest and use that but I still need some cardio.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:10 pm

There's also a TV with DVD player in front of the eliptical so I can watch whatever I want. Nice change from the gym.

Of course, this setup is why I went crazy with DVD box sets. With the Twilight Zone and MASH box sets, I should have enough to get me through my cardio well into the summer.

Then comes that original Star Trek box set...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:12 pm

BTW, note the Godzilla wall hanging. There are 3 other Godzilla movie posters around the room. Nothing says "Lift that weight!" like a firebreathing giant lizard!

One more thing. That eliptical was the best health investment I've ever made. Regardless of the weather, I can do cardio. Bored? Go do some extra cardio. Plus since I don't have to drive anywhere, I'm much more inclined to do it. I've skipped one day in the past 6 months and that was only because I had a really bad cold. I usually hit it twice a day at least 3 times a week. 30 minutes a pop.

Last edited by on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:14 pm

Quote :
Then comes that original Star Trek box set...

cheers cool greedy

My excuse for not doing cardio is lame-o. We have a treadmill and a stairclimber at work with a TV right in front of them. I can't StairClimb. I luckily have good joints and all so far but climbing stairs does something bad to my left knee.

Treadmilling is fine. I've added running in the past and once I get into a rhythm I actually like it some. However, sickness, vacation - anything that gets me off track for more than 4-5 days - then I find it hard to start up again. I like lifting so that's not hard to get back to but running's a different story.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:15 pm

And the Mighty King Ghidorah!!

Awesome poster!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:17 pm

I hear ya. I still can't say I enjoy cardio but the eliptical is perfect as far as my joints goes. I have really bad ankles (one broken 3 times the other twice) and the eliptical is completely stress free on both my ankles and knees. Damn thing cost an arm and a leg but I've already gotten my money out of it.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:18 pm

So I started working out - Page 2 Celebrators_Of_Becoming

There's also a huge framed poster of the cover of Therion's Celebrator's Of Becoming album!

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:25 pm

(In my best Butthead voice)

You're a nerd!

(You should see my garage - geek heaven. Just oozes geek. My prize is a framed poster of The Kramer. Nothing gets more attention when people are over)

"He sickens me, yet I can't look away"
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 9:32 pm

Coincidentally, I just ran across this article. Most of this seems right to me but others more into it than I might want to weigh in (pun intended).

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/WorkoutMistakes.htm

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 10:47 pm

That's a good article!

It reminds me somewhat of one I read a while back that said "There's no magic diet or program!! You have to eat less then you burn to lose weight!"

That's what people simply don't grasp often. A guy on another Realm just recently wrote "Diet and exercise has never worked for me". angry angry I struggled really hard with responding. I left it alone because I knew where it would go.

Lot's of people, myself included (but others have it worse - sometimes much) have a harder time than others and keep or add weight more readily but it's just 1st Grade Math!! Ingest LESS than you burn and you'll lose. Ingest MORE than you burn and you'll gain. Find your balance and you'll maintain. Humans as of yet don't absorb nutrients from the atmosphere so there's NO ONE for whom the phrase "diet and exercise have never worked for me" is true. Harder for some? Of course! But not anywhere near impossible.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 5:20 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Yeah, do not—I repeat, DO NOT—leg press over 800lbs just to see if you can do it. Well, not unless you want to be able to walk, or even stand up, two days later.

I leg pressed 1000 pounds a year ago when I was in high school. No joke. Did it twice. The second rep was the scariest moment in my life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I started working out   So I started working out - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So I started working out
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2