Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amy Winehouse

Go down 
+16
metalmaniac122
shamgar75
Mortuary
TheGooch
DallasBlack
White_Mage
Smindas
MetalGuy71
Wargod
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Troublezone
Shiney
EvyMetal
scottmitchell74
rattpoison
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 pm

Eyesore wrote:
White_Mage wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
White_Mage wrote:
I respect that someone would make a thread about her on here takes sum balls mate
If you've not noticed, most of us are pretty big music fans here.
Yeah but "Popular Music" Usaully takes a pretty big beating on here.
Only a few, and they generally don't know anything about the bands they're beating on. Laughing

True that

(100 POSTS) 🤘
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 7:42 am

Shiney wrote:
I don't mind it....reminds me a bit of MACY GRAY...I'm a sucker for that type of female voice....

Macy Gray's voice to me is like nails on a chalk board (IMO she can't sing worth a crap). So I doubt I'd like this woman. Just goes to show you how out of the loop I am with mainstream, I never heard of her til I saw this thread, the only reason I reply on this thread now is that I saw her on MSN.com (my home page) and remembered her being mentioned here. A shame that she has so much fame and fortune but like too many people in the world of mainstream music throws it all away on drugs like that. She ain't half bad to look at either (except when she shows her teeth...yikes!!!).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:08 am

Amy Winehouse - Page 2 BeehiveDM3009_468x466

Marge Simpson and Amy Winehouse - separated at birth??

You gotta admit, the hairstyle similarity is startling...and they have the same bug-eyed facial expression!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:50 am

I caught her performance on the Grammys last night. Sounded good, but I think she's crazier than a sh*t-house rat. She was very twitchy and was nervously looking around like a loon. Too bad, casue she has a great voice. Seriously, if it wasn't for the singing, if you saw her on the street, you'd think she was a crazy bag-lady.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 11:06 am

Amy Winehouse sucks and is a raging crackhead. i have no respect for her or her small amount of talent that gets blown otu of propertion

i would like to see her get on stage and try to play some metal guitar

(oh i could not do it but i admit that)
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:34 pm

You wanna know where Amy's look and music come from, look no further than those myrmidons of melodrama the Ronettes. Amy takes her cues from the original 'bad girl of rock n' roll' Ronnie Spector (Centre).

Amy Winehouse - Page 2 The_ronettes

You know i look for common threads/links in music rather than see differences, and Amy is definately rock n' roll with nary a guitar in her music! It's rock n' roll at its roots, its so totally different than anything out their at the moment. She bucks trends and music business convention in this age of safe homogenised music.

The music is total 60's Ronettes and Shangri-Las throwback. Two groups i love and whos music came out so obviously in the sound of the Ramones, The New York Dolls, Hanoi Rocks etc.

Another side to the music other than 60's girl groups is the classic soulful R&B. Coming off more classic Otis Redding than modern day slick plastic psuedo R&B. I love Otis and classic R&B, which had a huge influence on my fav bands the Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Aerosmith, The Black Crowes etc.

Amy's vocal style is a great deep soulful croon and never gives in to useless vocal gymnastics employed by pop divas Christina Aguilera etc. I love the vocals in the way i love Doug Pinnick and Phil Lynott's soulful singing. She is a mega talent.

It's not only people in the mainstream that have addiction problems many of our fav performers have their own. Man most of Aerosmith in the 70's must of been knockin' on death's door.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:38 pm

That pic is amazing. That's EXACTLY the hairstyle Amy had at the Grammys.

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:41 pm

TheGooch wrote:
Amy Winehouse sucks and is a raging crackhead. i have no respect for her or her small amount of talent that gets blown otu of propertion

i would like to see her get on stage and try to play some metal guitar

(oh i could not do it but i admit that)
Why even bother? Do you like making an ass out of yourself?
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 12:17 pm

Gooch man, do you realise how many rock / metal musicians are 'raging crackheads'? Look past the waste of a person and look at the music ;P

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 5:15 pm

She does have a great and unique voice. Smokey....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 11:48 pm

She's probably not that bad of a musician but her attention seeking fads discourage me from checking her out.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 11:51 pm

pijuyo wrote:
She's probably not that bad of a musician but her attention seeking fads discourage me from checking her out.

Attention seeking how? Media seeks her out and plasters her all over the front pages of tabloids. Alot of musicians have drug problems but Amy's have been singled out like no one elses by the media.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 10:05 am

Why is it that musicians always have drug problems??
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 11:42 am

defender_of_the_faith wrote:
Why is it that musicians always have drug problems??

I'll go one further on that. Why is it that famous people always have drug problems? It seems that you have these people who have the world handed to them on a silver platter and they throw their lives away by living in excess.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 8:21 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Why is it that famous people always have drug problems? It seems that you have these people who have the world handed to them on a silver platter and they throw their lives away by living in excess.

Handed to them on a silver platter! The reason most people are famous (ie actors, musicians etc) is because their talented and hard working at what they do.

Drug problems and the resulting struggle with said problem have whether you want to admit it or not produced some of the best music. The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, New York Dolls, The Stooges, Janis Joplin, The Doors etc all had extreme drug problems but through it all produced some of the greatest music. Amy is another one to add to that list.

Struggle through excess makes great music and we consume that music despite our condemning of those excesses. So its a bit rich to point the finger at 'famous' people when some of our favourite artists have the same problem.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 2:51 am

rattpoison wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Why is it that famous people always have drug problems? It seems that you have these people who have the world handed to them on a silver platter and they throw their lives away by living in excess.

Handed to them on a silver platter! The reason most people are famous (ie actors, musicians etc) is because their talented and hard working at what they do.

Yes but many just are at the right place at the right time. They either have a look or have the right connections. What I mean by handed to them on a silver platter is that famous actors, athletes, and musicians/performers get royal treatement, they don't have to pay for their hotel rooms, they get whatever they want and are treated as better than everyone else because they're famous. They become so wrapped up in the glamour that they forget how to be real human beings. If they get in trouble they feel that they should get special consideration because of their stature. Yes many are very talented individuals but they waste it on excess instead of using it for good. Many start off as normal, talented, hard working individuals but once fame sets in they become spoiled, lazy, and selfish. I guess you think that I have no respect for peoples talents but that is not the case. Good for them, I think it's wonderful that they have a purpose in life (we all want to have that). I enjoy movies, music, etc. by these celebrities but that does not excuse bad behavior. Yes many of the musicians we love have the same problems. Does that make it right? No, I condem bad behavior from people no matter if I'm a fan or not. Plus there are many who don't struggle with those problems who produce good music so your logic, IMO, is flawed.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 7:09 pm

I'm not saying its necessary for struggle through addiction to make great music, but alot of great music has come from that.

Music would be poorer for it if musicians didn't suffer from excess/addiction. It's something that has happened for years and it will continue for years to come.

The Music is way more powerful than that musicians personal life. Leave the gossiping about celebrity personal lifes to the women who read those trashy magazines and who have know particular interest in the art.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:10 am

rattpoison wrote:
Leave the gossiping about celebrity personal lifes to the women who read those trashy magazines and who have know particular interest in the art.

I agree most strongly with that statement. I could care less about the personal lives of celebrities. What they do behind closed doors is none of my business. I have better things to do than waste my time learning the latest Hollywood gossip (like watching a DVD that I've seen over and over again or watching paint dry). Those magazines and tv shows that promote this crap make me want to sick .
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:14 am

rattpoison wrote:
Music would be poorer for it if musicians didn't suffer from excess/addiction.

Sorry, I can't agree with that at all. They have the talent and the ability as a natural part of who they are. I believe it is a mistake to believe that talent and ablitliy in enhanced in any way by excess/addiction (that misguided logic is what drives most of these people to that state, they feel that they can't write good music or lyrics unless they're high or plastered).
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:29 am

DallasBlack wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
Music would be poorer for it if musicians didn't suffer from excess/addiction.

Sorry, I can't agree with that at all. They have the talent and the ability as a natural part of who they are. I believe it is a mistake to believe that talent and ablitliy in enhanced in any way by excess/addiction (that misguided logic is what drives most of these people to that state, they feel that they can't write good music or lyrics unless they're high or plastered).

Maybe not musically but lyrically (cause lyrics are 50% of the music).

Look at Alice In Chains Dirt. Its chilling and dark and takes you through the gamut of emotions through the human psyche when crippled by heroin addiction. If Layne hadn't suffered addiction the album would not nearly be as good as it would be.

Other examples are Lou Reed's classic Berlin, while not as explicit as Dirt it goes through the same themes and emotional baggage that goes along with heroin abuse.

Its about life experiences, not having to be high when writing a song.

Last edited by rattpoison on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:12 am

Dallas, whilst I understand and agree with aspects of your point, I don't think you can disagree that addiction and vice has had strong creative result on the works of many musicians. Yes, the talent was there before the drugs or what have you, but the inspiration wasn't. And without the inspiration, that talent would amount to nothing and the musician would only be a mess of potential. Of course, this does not apply to all musicians - undoubtedly, you can make an amazing album sober - but in some cases, the music just wouldn't be the same without the debauchery that has been happening in the lives of the band. As rattpoison said, it's about the 'life experiences' - they're the inspiration. And often, those 'life experiences' come through battling, or even giving in to, addictions.

Also, I don't think there are many musicians who think "if I get a heroin problem, I'll be able to write the greatest record in existence". You can't just... force 'inspiration' like that, which I'm sure they'd be aware of.

Last edited by Smindas on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 1:15 pm

Smindas wrote:
Also, I don't think there are many musicians who think "if I get a heroin problem, I'll be able to write the greatest record in existence". You can't just... force 'inspiration' like that, which I'm sure they'd be aware of.

That as may be, but I think it is a very good theory as to why some of these people do get hooked on that stuff. It would explain a lot wouldn't it? Also, never underestimate the stupidity of people (yes, even the highly educated people-educate an idiot and all you have is an educated idiot).
Back to top Go down
Mortuary
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Mortuary

Number of posts : 498

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 1:40 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Amy Winehouse - Page 2 BeehiveDM3009_468x466

Marge Simpson and Amy Winehouse - separated at birth??

You gotta admit, the hairstyle similarity is startling...and they have the same bug-eyed facial expression!!

They're identical twins... Shocked
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 4:06 pm

I remember hearing this album for the first time back near Memorial day weekend last year. I was visiting my brother in law in Minnesota and he was playing this album. It definitely was one of the better CD's I had heard in a while. Her voice is incredible and the music was tight. It is good stuff, although she seems to be a little crazy.

Rehab is a great song.

Cool
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 6:15 pm

Does she play an instrument or does she just sing?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amy Winehouse
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: