Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amy Winehouse

Go down 
+16
metalmaniac122
shamgar75
Mortuary
TheGooch
DallasBlack
White_Mage
Smindas
MetalGuy71
Wargod
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Troublezone
Shiney
EvyMetal
scottmitchell74
rattpoison
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 11:03 pm

Okay so sometimes there are artists that come along that are so good that they make you drop your snobby guarding of your musical mircro-culture and just make you submit to their musical brilliance ala Prince.

Well Amy Winehouse is one of those rare artists. Imo she is the best thing to happen to music this decade/century/millenium. And the album Back To Black (2007) is the 00's best music album!

Its just a great timeless classic that marries and recalls the best elements of Jazz, Soul, R+B and 60's Girl Groups. The arrangements and production provided by Mark Ronson are classic, it doesn't have that slick modern day production that renders most pop music useless it sounds raw, organic and as if it came from the 60's. Mark Ronson being a modern day Phil Spector or Shadow Morton in his classic brill building approach to pop.

I guess i was always going to be sucker for this album because of its large Shangri-Las and Ronettes influence, two of my fav groups.

Lyrically Amy touches on boozery, sleaze and bittersweet love. Lyrics that you would expect to find on any period Rolling Stones album.

And that voice! I'm still wondering how they were able to fit a big southern black women into a skinny white girl from London!

Forget the copious tabloid headlines about her private life, this is classic pop music with a rock n' roll attitude to believe in!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Evil or Very Mad no, no, no
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 11:36 pm

She still in rehab?
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 8:34 am

I don't mind it....reminds me a bit of MACY GRAY...I'm a sucker for that type of female voice....

I can only take this style of music in small doses....

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 9:30 pm

Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 9:34 pm

The British Britney Spears IMO...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 9:49 pm

tohostudios wrote:
The British Britney Spears IMO...

Maybe in tabloid headlines. But Britney's more crass american white trash with a mental problem while Amy's more classy english 'Keith Richards' elegantly wasted in her decadence, you know bottle of wine in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

But one produces vapid artless pop music.

And the other produces honest, timeless, influential music.

Amy Winehouse is the Janis Joplin of now, in that her amazing talent and music are counter balanced with her predilection for rock n' roll excess.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 9:55 pm

No offense meant man.

And I agree, at least Amy Winehouse produced decent music.

I just meant that it seems eerily similar that these women seem to be travelling similar paths.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 10:04 pm

tohostudios wrote:
No offense meant man.

And I agree, at least Amy Winehouse produced decent music.

I just meant that it seems eerily similar that these women seem to be travelling similar paths.

The (mis)'Fortune Of Fame' i guess.

Although the best music is made during struggle i think, so many examples over the years. Amy being one of them.
Back to top Go down

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 10:36 pm

Winehouse is no Britney Spears. Britney is an entertainer only. She's not a musician and she's hardly a singer. I'm not a fan of Amy Winehouse, but there's no denying that the woman is a great talent. Too bad she'll likely be dead soon.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 10:37 pm

I was just reading about this woman in today's paper... apparently one of the British tabloids caught a photo of her taking a hit off of a crack pipe? Niiiiice.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 10:52 pm

I hate it how the headlines overshadow the music, tabloids are mercenary bastards.

The fact is Amy is one of the most vital music artists now and over time history will confirm this.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Nope don't care for it all that much!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 2:52 pm

rattpoison wrote:
The fact is Amy is one of the most vital music artists now and over time history will confirm this.
Overstating much?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 3:58 pm

From the little bit of her music that I've actually heard, it's not bad. Not really my cup of tea, but interesting. Especially in this day and age of pre-programmed pop and American Idol garbage. Sadly, I'm more intrigued by her off-stage antics than the music.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 10:22 pm

Eyesore wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
Overstating much?

Sure my effusive praise borders on obsession but i genuinly believe that in 10-20-30 years from now when people look back at some of the greatest/classic artists and albums from the 00's decade that Amy's name and album Back To Black will be mentioned.
Back to top Go down

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 10:28 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
Overstating much?

Sure my effusive praise borders on obsession but i genuinly believe that in 10-20-30 years from now when people look back at some of the greatest/classic artists and albums from the 00's decade that Amy's name and album Back To Black will be mentioned.

Mmmmm. nah. She will still be mentioned though in 20 years as that crazy crack whore who made an Ironic one hit wonder titled "Rehab". She will be a footnote on a VH1 show. Ms. Winehouse is the Kajamagoogoo of the '00s. Trust and believe.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 10:34 pm

spectrefate wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
Overstating much?

Mmmmm. nah. She will still be mentioned though in 20 years as that crazy crack whore who made an Ironic one hit wonder titled "Rehab". She will be a footnote on a VH1 show. Ms. Winehouse is the Kajamagoogoo of the '00s. Trust and believe.

I'd hate to know what VH1 resembles in 20 years time considering it's sudden quick fall into suckiness.
Back to top Go down

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 10:36 pm

...aint that the truth...if Brett Michaels is a figure that is keeping your network afloat then maybe it's time to re-evaluate. Smile
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 5:43 am

As a musician, I think she's good. Great voice, well written songs, what's not to like? Well... her, really. When someone is paraded in the tabloids constantly for basically being in a very bad state, it gets annoying. I think someone above said Amy is 'elegant' in her debauchery. Far from it, she's an absolute mess, which is a shame. Whilst it is somewhat amusing to see her drunk on nearly every TV appearance (clip below... it's awful but great at the same time), it doesn't seem like she's going to live for a huge amount longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vfdl7-E80Q

What is she saying!

But yeah, the music's good. I like it.

EDIT: I swear I embedded a video in to this post? Clearly not I guess! Fixed now, anyway.

Last edited by on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 8:19 pm

Smindas wrote:
As a musician, I think she's good. Great voice, well written songs, what's not to like? Well... her, really. When someone is paraded in the tabloids constantly for basically being in a very bad state, it gets annoying. I think someone above said Amy is 'elegant' in her debauchery. Far from it, she's an absolute mess, which is a shame. Whilst it is somewhat amusing to see her drunk on nearly every TV appearance (clip below... it's awful but great at the same time), it doesn't seem like she's going to live for a huge amount longer.

What is she saying!

But yeah, the music's good. I like it.

Tabloids are pathetic leeches but they sell cause everyone loves a tragedy!

But you know the Rolling Stones, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Aerosmith in the 70's, Johnny Thunders etc all went through probably worse than Amy with addiction and all that came with it but they were never scrutinised to the extent Amy has been. The thing is media exposure has magnified exponentially on 'celebrities' nowadays.

The Music is way more powerful then the copious headlines, so that's what gets my attention. She is the UK's best singer since Elkie Brooks! And thats why i love 'er.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Personally I'm not a fan but that my opionion

She is miles away from being like Spears She actully has some talent

I respect that someone would make a thread about her on here takes sum balls mate
Back to top Go down

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 7:33 pm

White_Mage wrote:
I respect that someone would make a thread about her on here takes sum balls mate
If you've not noticed, most of us are pretty big music fans here.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 7:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:
White_Mage wrote:

Yeah but "Popular Music" Usaully takes a pretty big beating on here.
Back to top Go down

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 7:47 pm

White_Mage wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
White_Mage wrote:
Yeah but "Popular Music" Usaully takes a pretty big beating on here.
Only a few, and they generally don't know anything about the bands they're beating on. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Amy Winehouse Empty
PostSubject: Re: Amy Winehouse   Amy Winehouse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amy Winehouse
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: