Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Avantasia - The Scarecrow

Go down 
+13
assault_attack
MetalRob331
GrandNational
Smindas
A Handful of Wayne
Wargod
tohostudios
exact33
scottmitchell74
Metal Misfit
DallasBlack
kmorg
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Avantasia - The Scarecrow Empty
PostSubject: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 1:20 pm

Listened through the disc today. It's not as good as the first 2, but it is still a geat CD, with lots of great songs. I also think Jørn Lande is stealing the thunder from the rest of the performers. Great Alice Cooper appearance though. Favorite track so far: "The Scarecrow"

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 1:44 pm

Towards the end of this month (or beginning of next) I will be getting it along with the new Ayreon disc. I can barely wait, I really love Lost In Space.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 2:19 pm

kmorg wrote:
Listened through the disc today. It's not as good as the first 2, but it is still a geat CD, with lots of great songs. I also think Jørn Lande is stealing the thunder from the rest of the performers. Great Alice Cooper appearance though. Favorite track so far: "The Scarecrow"
I agree. I actually think the album is great. I don't care much for the talk about its musical style. Yeah, it's not like the first two—so what? It's a great album, either way.

And yes, "The Scarecrow" is a brilliant tune. One the best songs I've ever heard, I think. Not kidding, either.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 1:37 pm

kmorg wrote:
Great Alice Cooper appearance though. Favorite track so far: "The Scarecrow"

I'm an Edguy fan, I can't compare it to the first two Avantasia albums, because I've only heard bits and pieces but this a GREAT album that will be making my Best of '08 list. I've been listening to it nonstop since buying it a few nights ago. Sammet has one of the best voices in metal.

'The Scarecrow' is also my favorite. I get pumped up over that one. Cooper on 'The Toy Master' is really good too. It sounds like an Alice Cooper song and it could easily fit on Hey Stoopid.

Other highlights:
'Twisted Mind', 'Carry Me Over' (YES THAT'S RIGHT), 'What Kind of Love', 'I Don't Believe in Your Love', and 'Lost In Space'

I'm laughing at all the flack Tobias is catching for this album & for his career supposedly going the "Bon Jovi" route. Avantasia - The Scarecrow Jerkoff Get over yourself. What's wrong with writing catchy tunes? They obviously aren't listening to the rest of the album because the metal is still there.

Can't wait for the new EDGUY!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 1:51 pm

I just got this and haven't gotten through it yet but what I've heard sounds great. Thought to myself as I was listening "Tobias has more talent in his pinky....." that guy's quite the musical Savant. I like everything he's done...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 2:03 pm

I just put it on special order with the new Ayreon disc. The guy said it will be a week which I'm willing to bet will feel longer. Patience has never been one of my strong suits. I know how good Tobias is so I don't even need to hear the praise to know that I'm going to like it. Now I play the waiting game.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 2:06 pm

I am hoping my copy comes this week too so I can chime in!!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 2:31 pm

Same here.

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 3:23 pm

Quote :
I also think Jørn Lande is stealing the thunder from the rest of the performers.

Been listening to this some more and the ^^^ above is very true. To me Jorn Lande is one of the 2-3 best Metal vocalists ever. Especially when the material suits him. His ability to really belt 'em out while being smooth and melodic is amazing. His voice is like an extra instrament.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 4:25 pm

My copy came today. Haven't listened to it yet.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 4:42 am

Metal Misfit wrote:

I'm laughing at all the flack Tobias is catching for this album & for his career supposedly going the "Bon Jovi" route. Avantasia - The Scarecrow Jerkoff Get over yourself. What's wrong with writing catchy tunes? They obviously aren't listening to the rest of the album because the metal is still there.

Can't wait for the new EDGUY!

You know, I just read an interview with Tobias where he states that if he was ever ging to relese a solo album, using his own name only, it would be in the Bon Jovi category! His dream is to release his own pop metal album, stating Ratt, Poison and Bon Jovi as influences.

And I agree, what is wrong with writing catchy songs?

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 9:13 am

I bet if Tobias did do such a thing - with modern production and sensibilities - it would be outstanding!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 12:19 am

Tobias is the man, thats all I can say.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 12:35 am

kmorg wrote:

You know, I just read an interview with Tobias where he states that if he was ever ging to relese a solo album, using his own name only, it would be in the Bon Jovi category! His dream is to release his own pop metal album, stating Ratt, Poison and Bon Jovi as influences.
Oh I would LOVE that! I love the classic Bon Jovi stuff, so even if he really had gone "Bon Jovi" on us with this album (which he didn't), I wouldn't have a problem with it. You can hear the hair metal in Edguy's last album (which I also understand longtime Edguy fans weren't happy with) and they're pretty darn great at it.

I really hope this happens now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:51 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Tobias is the man, thats all I can say.

Avantasia - The Scarecrow Tobias_funke

I agree. Smile
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 6:34 pm

This could very well be the best album of the year (and it's only Feb. and I'm only 6 songs into it). I think that after it's over I'll listen to it again.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 6:53 pm

The Alice Cooper track is killer!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 6:54 pm

I've heard this 3-4 times now and it's flat out spectacular!!

I'm not sure Jorn Lande has ever sounded better and that's saying a lot.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 6:59 pm

Still haven't listened to this yet. I just have to be in the mood for the over the top, bombast that is Avantasia.

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:02 pm

It has its moments but it's not as bombastic as the others, I'd say. Tobias is growing up!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:03 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Is "The Scarecrow" not one of the best songs you've ever heard?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:05 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

I'm about to listen to it again in just a few minutes. I'm even going to put it on my playlist for tonight. This is the best album I've heard since Allen/Lande-The Battle and Circle II Circle-Burden of Truth. And count me in with the comments on Jorne Lande, he never ceases to amaze me and he steals the show on this one. What I wouldn't give to be able to sing like any of these guys, but I must work with the voice God gave me ( Sad ).
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:17 pm

The new album is awesome. I actually think it blows away the other ones esecially part 2. I cant think of the girls name right now but she sings one of the slower songs, she sounds almost exactly like Celine Dion but in a cool metal way. The only performance I wasnt too crazy about was Michael Kiske he doesnt sound into it anymore and I think it shows. Kiske is one of my all time favorite vocalists but he kind of slacked a little. Has anyone heard the extended version of Lost In Space with the alternate Kiske vocals? Maybe im just used to the Tobias version but Kiskes voice makes me cringe on that version. Otherwise the album is awesome!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:18 pm

This is a great album ! I picked it up over the weekend with a gift card from FYE (a Valentines gift from my wife). I had never heard anything by them but thought it might be worth a listen to. I scanned it at the sampler and listened through it. I decided to go with it and I'm glad I did.My favorite songs are the Scarecrow and the Toy Master (seems to be the general consensus). Now I have to hunt down their other releases headbanger
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:25 pm

007 you won't be dissapointed (as long as you like the more Powermetal sound). The other ones have that Edguy sounds a little more (for obvious reasons). Still tons of melody and ALL the vocals guests just flat out rock!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avantasia - The Scarecrow   Avantasia - The Scarecrow Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Avantasia - The Scarecrow
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next