Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Judas Priest - Jugulator

Go down 
+16
Troublezone
MoonChild
the sentinel
skullsmasher
candlemass
ultmetal
DeathCult
Mglaffas81
Thrasher73
TheGooch
martinsane
Skysplitter
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 12:14 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Jugulator was good, but its obvious that Ripper is stretching it a bit. He's TRYING to sound like Halford.

He didn't have a choice!! It's pretty obvious when you listen to it that he was handed a script and told "there ya go son, just sing it like Rob would"

Exactly, I mean they picked a guy from a Judas Priest tribute band for a reason.

I saw his tribute band ("British Steel") in a little dump club near my house in '94, maybe early '95... they were quite good...when the news broke a year or so later that he was the "new guy" in Priest, at least I knew he could handle the classic stuff.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 5:00 pm

I didn't get to say it the first time around so: I really like Jugulator it's in my top three of JP albums so there. Whew, I feel better.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 7:46 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Jugulator was good, but its obvious that Ripper is stretching it a bit. He's TRYING to sound like Halford.

He didn't have a choice!! It's pretty obvious when you listen to it that he was handed a script and told "there ya go son, just sing it like Rob would"

Exactly, I mean they picked a guy from a Judas Priest tribute band for a reason.

I saw his tribute band ("British Steel") in a little dump club near my house in '94, maybe early '95... they were quite good...when the news broke a year or so later that he was the "new guy" in Priest, at least I knew he could handle the classic stuff.

What was the name of this dump, I saw the tribute band once, but I saw Tim many times, in U.S. Metal, Seattle, Brainicide, and Damage Inc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 11:15 am

I really liked the Ripper stuff, not as much as Halford but I still think it is good. I never got the 98 Meltdown album though. I think I will now just to hear it and compare. I picked up Jugulator several years after it was released thinking that Priest couldn't be any good without Halford but was really surprised that I liked it as much as I did. I don't play it as much as the classic Priest but I still do every now and again.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 12:00 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
martinsane wrote:
I really dug this record. The title track and Blood Stained are stand outs for me. The 98 Live Metal Meltdown cd with Owens is a great live record and The Ripper tears up some Priest classics...

98 LIVE MELTDOWN kinda bugs me when I listen to it. Ripper sounds great (and I suspect that the main reason it was even released was to prove to the doubters "Yes, the new guy can sing the old stuff!"), but the songs don't sound quite "right" to my ears. I think the JP guys down-tuned their instruments more than usual in order to match the "brutal" tone of the JUGULATOR material, so that stuff sounds fine, but then all the classic songs sound like they're off key. Or is it just me?

I agree 100% with that assessment.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 9:14 pm

candlemass wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

What was the name of this dump, I saw the tribute band once, but I saw Tim many times, in U.S. Metal, Seattle, Brainicide, and Damage Inc.

It was a little dive in Wallington New Jersey that I frequented in the early to mid 90s, it was first known as "Rock The House" when I first started going there, then they changed it to "JR's Paradise Club," then later on it became "The Wreck Room." I'm honestly not sure which name it had on it when I saw British Steel there anymore. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 12:15 pm

I like Ripper years...... very much.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:44 am

Cathedral Spires is a great song! I'd even say it's one of their best.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 1:33 pm

I love 'Cathedral Spires', 'Bullet Train', and the title track. A lot of the album takes Priest-lame-lyrics to a whole new level, but at least it doesn't sound like they're trying to poop out tr00 metal so hard it brings constipation, like on 'Painkiller'. But most of 'Jugulator' is pretty terrible all the same. I didn't bother listening to 'Demolition'.
Back to top Go down
Velvet Creation
Metal student
Metal student
Velvet Creation

Number of posts : 126

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 10:23 am

I think Jugulator is huge! So many good tracks! Burn in Hell, Deathrow, Abductors, Bullet Train.... This might sound weird, but I'd say that I like this album more than any other JP release with Halford. Of course there are classic older songs but I think Jugulator in a whole has more good songs than any other JP album, that's what I mean.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 12:34 pm

I had mixed feeling on Jugulator, I was glad in some ways to see the Priest continue, but in my mind the identity of the band was tied up with Rob Halford, I had a hard time accepting new singer. I think Tim Owens is a great vocalist and not many people can sing in that style, as far as the cd itself, in looking back and listening to it, I feel it is a great cd but at the time of its release I did not really appreciate it. It is only in hindsight due I feel it is the most overlooked CD in the Priest discography, and Owens was really the only person who could have stepped into Halford's boots due the credible job that he did, but I don't feel that he was allowed to develop his own identity during his time with the Priest, at least IMO
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 1:12 pm

Velvet Creation wrote:
I'd say that I like this album more than any other JP release with Halford.

I wont dare to say that, but I love the Ripper years, and especially Jugulator album. Surely have an awesome track list. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 11:22 am

This album would've been stronger if they had included "Kill or be Killed" on here from Tipton's solo album w/ Ripper singing and maybe dropped "Decapitate". It's a great song.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 11:26 am

Yeah, "Decapitate" is the only song on JUG that I don't really care for. The lyrics make me cringe:

"DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-CAPITATE!
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLK THRU HELL'S GATE!"

Not that the majority of the lyrics on the rest of the album are Shakespeare, but that one just makes me go "ugh."

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 11:32 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
This album would've been stronger if they had included "Kill or be Killed" on here from Tipton's solo album w/ Ripper singing and maybe dropped "Decapitate". It's a great song.

ToB I will have to go back and listen to Glenn Tipton's solo album, it has been ages since I have given that disc a spin, and also give a fresh spin to those Ripper Owen discs it has been awhile since I listened to those discs also.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 11:47 am

The music on Tipton's solo album is solid (as you'd expect) but its downfall is the vocals. Someone should've told Glenn that he couldn't sing his way out of a paper bag. Ugh.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 11:50 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
The music on Tipton's solo album is solid (as you'd expect) but its downfall is the vocals. Someone should've told Glenn that he couldn't sing his way out of a paper bag. Ugh.

That was main problem with the disc was the vocals, he should of done what Yngwie does, and hired a vocalist, and I do not have the disc in front of me, but I believe Cozy Powell played drums on this disc.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 11:52 am

manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

That was main problem with the disc was the vocals, he should of done what Yngwie does, and hired a vocalist, and I do not have the disc in front of me, but I believe Cozy Powell played drums on this disc.

You might be thinking of Tipton's 2nd solo album, which was released under the name of "Tipton, Entwistle and Powell"

Glenn had a rotating cast of backing players on his first album (BAPTIZM OF FIRE) and Cozy might be in there someplace but I don't think he played on the entire record. But like you, I don't have the damn thing handy right now to look at the credits and tell for sure.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Yeah, Cozy was one of the drummers on "Baptism" and he did all the drums on the other Tipton disc.

Yeah, Glenn's vocals aren't stellar, but just imagine Ripper tearing it up on "Kill or be Killed". It would've been one of the stronger tracks on "Jugulator".

Trivia: Did you guys know Chris Kontos from MACHINE HEAD/TESTAMENT was offered the drum position in JUDAS PRIEST around this time and turned it down?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Jugulator   Judas Priest - Jugulator - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judas Priest - Jugulator
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2