Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anthrax - Sound of White Noise

Go down 
+19
manny
metalinmyveins
mr.electric39
Olafsto
Thrasher73
Todd Jaymz
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
7thSecond
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
ultmetal
mc666
shamgar75
nevermore
EvyMetal
caniplaywithmadness?
Temple of Blood
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Empty
PostSubject: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Sitting here right now at my desk at work listening to this CD. Killer stuff! I bought this CD when it was new back in 1993 or 1994 or whatever it was, and it was my first introduction to Anthrax.
Consequently I like the John Bush Anthrax stuff WAY more than the Belladonna stuff.

Has anyone else had this happen? Not necessarily with Anthrax, but with any band that you get into at a later point than what most people consider their "glory days" or "classic lineup" or whatever.

A few other examples: I like James Murphy in Testament more than Alex Skolnick, probably because I got into Testament with the "Low" album when it was new. I also prefer Ripper to Matt Barlow in Iced Earth, again most likely because the first IE album I bought was "the Glorious Burden." And I prefer Carcass' "Heartwork" and "Swansong" to anything else they did for the same reason.

Maybe there's someone out there who got into Iron Maiden with the Blaze albums and prefers him to Bruce!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 1:38 pm

I like the Blaze albums more than the post-reunion Bruce albums because the songs are better.

I liked the way James Murphy played Alex's old songs just fine but I didn't like the solos he wrote or the studio album he was on. I'm really glad Alex is back now.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 3:54 pm

sound of white noise is a good album. my fave bush era album is we've come for you all
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 5:16 pm

the only Anthrax album I don't have
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 5:23 pm

Sound Of White Noise is a great album. Probably my favorite of the Bush-era Anthrax. I still prefer John Bush singing for Armored Saint.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 10:31 pm

I agree. Sound of White Noise is a great album and the first album I listened to from start to finish. Good stuff. John's voice fit well with the new sound.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 1:10 am

this ties with Persistance Of Time as the two best Anthrax albums in my book. i love them both. best of Joey & best of John.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 8:16 am

Love Sound of White Noise. I remember being really bummed that Joey Belladonna was given his walking papers, but when I heard SoWN, I was pleased. "We Have Come For You All" is equally as good IMO.

As for the question,
I got into Iced Earth around 1998. I picked up "Something Wicked" as a new release, then soon after picked up "Dark Saga". Matthew Barlow was the man IMO. As much as I love "Ripper", he just cannot replace Barlow in that band for me. However, having said that, I love Iced Earth's first demo and self titled release.

With Iron Maiden, I was into them very early on. The self titled and "Killers" were high school favorites. However, when the brought in Bruce Dickinson, I cannot say I was disappointed. He was a powerhouse. Even though we all loved DiAnno, I don't remember any of us being disappointed with Bruce either.

I hated the Blaze albums when they were first released. However, after a couple years, and some prompting by King Fowley, I gave "The X Factor" a fresh listen and like it quite a bit more than I did when I first purchased it. I think it was the initial shock of hearing a darker Iron Maiden with a completely different vocalist.

With Judas Priest, I got into them in the very early 1980's, when I was in high school. I am a huge fan. When Halford left, I was bummed. However, upon hearing and advance single of "Bullet Train", I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked "Ripper". I liked the stuff Ripper did with them, including Demolition. I don't think either of the Ripper studio albums are quite as good as the band's classic catalog, but at the same time feel they are decent albums.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 9:01 am

When I got into Savatage it was Gutter Ballet I heard first. But not many years later, I also got into Edge Of Thorns, and for whatever reason, I at first didn't even notice that they had changed singers! (man was I retarded!). So now I like both.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:06 pm

SOWN is an awesome album. It was the first Anthrax cd I bought. Soon after I bought up all their older albums. I like both eras of Anthrax they are totally different from one another. I tend to lean more towards the John Bush Anthrax though. Im very interested in seeing how the new singer will be since he is sort of a mix between both John and Joey.

My favorite band is Helloween and some consider keepers 1 and 2 their best albums. Even though Michael Kiske is one of my favorite singers I think Helloween is better now with Deris than they ever were with Kiske. I like every Helloween song good or bad but since Deris has been with them each album as been better than the last.

The Iron Maiden changes didnt bother me too much. I liked something from every album.

I cant think of the vocalists names but Dark Moor is a great band and I like their newer stuff more than with the older singer.

Savatage I got into them when Zak was in the band but I never bought anything. I heard Hall of the Mountain King on a college radio station and went out and picked up some Savatage cds. I like both eras as well. The only album I wasnt too crazy about with Jon was Poets and Madmen.

Gamma Ray is much better with Kai. Sheepers was good but I always missed Kai singing.

Pink Cream 69 is better without Andi.

Nocturnal Rites, Sentenced, and Stratovarius are all better with their current vocalists.

Only band that I think just didnt work is Judas Priest. Ripper is awesome I liked him with Iced Earth sometimes a little more than I did with Matt but Ripper just didnt sit well with me in Judas Priest.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 2:02 pm

I really wish I hadn't traded this one away a few years ago. I liked it but just couldn't get used to Anthrax without Joey. Now I'm having a hard time finding it new unless I want to order it online and pay a good bit.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 2:04 pm

This was the beginning of the end of this band to me. I didn't like this album much at all except for a few songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Lurideath wrote:
This was the beginning of the end of this band to me. I didn't like this album much at all except for a few songs.

I second this emotion.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 2:09 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

I second this emotion.

I third it. The John Bush era of Anthrax just left me cold. I guess I was ticked off that Armored Saint got reduced to side project status.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 2:09 pm

Bush isn't a thrash vocalist in my mind. He just sounds perfect in the Saint.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 2:12 pm

I didn't get into Maiden until Fear Of The Dark and it is still one of my favorites though most people count in as one of their least. Also while I don't HATE the Blaze or DiAnno eras IMO Bruce and Maiden were meant for each other.

I didn't get into Savatage until Edge Of Thorns and prefer later stuff to older stuff though I like it all.

My first introduction to Metallica was The Black Album and I still love it (hate anything after it) even though a large amount of hardcore Metallica fans hated it when it first came out.

I only know current Nocturnal Rites, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, and others so I can't say I prefer it or not.

Though I like Jugulator and the Ripper era Iced Earth albums, I prefer Halford with Priest and Barlow with Iced Earth.

I acutally like the Deris Helloween more than Kiske (the only Kiske ones I listen to are the first three). Keepers Pt. 2 is my favorite Helloween album but the places after it are dominated by Deris stuff.

Sound Of White Noise is my favorite Anthrax I've ever heard however, after that I prefer the Joey stuff.

I prefer old Testament stuff more than the later stuff (see poll), the darker Amorphis than the ligter stuff, Sentenced-Amok more than the others.

Though most prefer the classic Queensryche over Empire, I prefer Empire.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 3:04 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Though most prefer the classic Queensryche over Empire, I prefer Empire.
Empire was classic Ryche. At least to me and every one I knew. It was the last classic Ryche album though.
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 3:11 pm

I remember when this promo came in, I was surprised because to me it didn't sound like Anthrax anymore. Kind of like when Metallica's Black album was released-TJ
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 3:27 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

I second this emotion.

I third it. The John Bush era of Anthrax just left me cold. I guess I was ticked off that Armored Saint got reduced to side project status.

I'll Fourth it!
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 4:01 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

I second this emotion.

I'll Fourth it!

I`ll fifth it then! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 7:24 pm

I'm gonna take SOUND OF WHITE NOISE out and give it a spin, thanks to this thread. 🤘

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 8:00 pm

Olafsto wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

I second this emotion.

I'll Fourth it!

I`ll fifth it then! Smile

SIXTH iT... LONG LIVE ARMORED SAINT !!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:42 pm

I saw my first Anthrax show on this tour. They toured with Quicksand and White Zombie. I had the closest seats that I've ever had at a show (8th row). The band totally rocked. They played almost everything that I wanted to hear inlcuding "Thieves" by Ministry and a great cover of the Beastie Boys "Watcha Watcha Want". At the end of the show, my friend Joe Smart dove into the scrum for Charlie Benante's drum stick that was launched from the stage. Somehow he came out of that pile with the stick, and immediately shoved it down his pants. I guess he figured no self respecting metal head would go for the stick after that.

I gave this CD a ton of play, and I though Jon's vocals went very well with the band. Long live Anthrax!!!!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:59 pm

My favorite line up of Anthrax is with John Bush, a killer voice. IMO Bush is a better vocalist than Joey Belladonna, Sound of White Noise great album. It also helps that I was a fanboy of Armored Saint at the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 10:02 pm

I always thought Belladonna was the "weak link in the chain" for Anthrax...although I admit liking quite a few of the albums he was on, his voice just never did it for me. So when Bush joined I was pretty excited.

I loved Sound Of White Noise when it first came out, but it wasn't long afterward that I stopped listening to metal for almost a decade. I finally got another copy of this one recently and it's a KILLER record.

I also love the Greater Of Two Evils record with Bush, not all of the versions work, but there's some serious ass-kickin' going on. I actually don't have any of the others at this point. The only other Anthrax CDs I still own are Armed & Dangerous and Persistence Of Time (my favorite).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anthrax - Sound of White Noise   Anthrax - Sound of White Noise Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anthrax - Sound of White Noise
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next