Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster

Go down 
+3
MetalGuy71
Mglaffas81
ultmetal
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Empty
PostSubject: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 8:53 am

Anyone purchase the remastered, "expanded" edition of The Song Remains the Same soundtrack? What are your thoughts on it?

I think the remastering is great. Really improved the overall sound quality. The added songs are a nice bonus as well. I love the raw, loose, rock and roll feel of this album and always have.

It's just a shame that the powers that be felt it necessary to edit some of the songs, omitting parts they felt unnecessary. To me, it's sort of annoying knowing that the original vinyl release had more music in some songs than is available here. It's not uncommon for this to happen though. Angel's "Helluva Band" had some edits made from CD to vinyl as well with an entire intro being omitted.

Thoughts?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 10:40 am

I pretty much agree with you, all though I was never much to soundtracks. But really, I think it is very bad to "edit" the songs, and take parts of the original sound away...it's like it loses some of the nostalgic feel...same goes for the remastering in general - The sound is great, but it sort of just loses that nostalgic feel...I don't know, I am just a very Nostalgic and traditional person.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:24 am

I seriously considdered picking that up yesterday when I was in Best Buy with a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. I never owned that soundtrack in any form. I decided against it, not knowing about the edits. That's kinda weird that they did that. Was it done for time-restraints?
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:26 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I seriously considdered picking that up yesterday when I was in Best Buy with a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. I never owned that soundtrack in any form. I decided against it, not knowing about the edits. That's kinda weird that they did that. Was it done for time-restraints?

I don't think so...I don't know, maybe they thought it sounded better, or something...well...it did not work.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 12:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I think they took out parts they didn't feel were "good enough" or weren't essential to the song. One part had Bonham and Jones doing a drum and piano jam just before Page's guitar solo in "No Quarter". This has been removed completely.

I mean, as it stands, this CD sound fantastic. If you aren't ultra familiar with the songs as they were on vinyl, you won't really notice the edits. I bring up this complaint, but overall, I think it's a fantastic CD capturing a legendary band during a legendary time.

nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 4:13 pm

the film has been released in a two disc edition in the uk so i dont know about elsewhere but i already have the film on dvd so i am not rebuying it
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 10:14 pm

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I think they took out parts they didn't feel were "good enough" or weren't essential to the song. One part had Bonham and Jones doing a drum and piano jam just before Page's guitar solo in "No Quarter". This has been removed completely.

I mean, as it stands, this CD sound fantastic. If you aren't ultra familiar with the songs as they were on vinyl, you won't really notice the edits. I bring up this complaint, but overall, I think it's a fantastic CD capturing a legendary band during a legendary time.

I had no idea about the edits, is it the same for the DVD. I was planning on getting this. I had the vinyl of this. I think it is a great live album even thought many feel it wasn't their best.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 8:03 am

journeyman wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I had no idea about the edits, is it the same for the DVD. I was planning on getting this. I had the vinyl of this. I think it is a great live album even thought many feel it wasn't their best.

I don't know about the DVD. I haven't seen it. I think if you get an original CD copy of this, rather than the remaster with the extra tracks, it is unedited.

ult

Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 7:29 pm

I just recently picked this remaster up, but I haven't listened to it all the way through yet. I didn't know that there were parts edited out. I kept my original version also, since that is the one that I grew up with and I love that version dearly. If I had gotten rid of the original and then found out that some of the material on the new one was edited, I would have been pissed indeed!

I also have the orig. version of the movie on DVD, but I want to pick up the new one also to check out the extra footage. Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster 309780
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 10:46 am

Trog, did you ever get a chance to hear the remaster? What did you think? Notice anything missing?

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 10:50 am

I've been meaning to pick this up, but I'm waiting because I'd like to get the 5-LP edition instead of the CD.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:01 am

I have the remastered CD version of " The Song Remains the Same" I did not notice the edits but my friend did immediatly, despite the fact of the edits I loved the remastered version, the sound quality is better and I love the fact they added "Since I've Been Loving You" one of my fav Zep classics.
Why they edited it I have no idea, the interviews Jimmy Page gave at the time made no mention of any edits.
My one complaint is that my remastered copy was not in a jewel case but one of thoses eco-friendly paper cases, I am all for the enivorment but I thought landfills are filled with jewel cases since most people I assumed keep them.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:21 am

ultmetal wrote:
Trog, did you ever get a chance to hear the remaster? What did you think? Notice anything missing?
I haven't had a chance to listen to it enough yet to notice. I think I only played it all the way through once so far, but I do think I remember hearing a couple of things that were slightly different.
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 10:50 pm

is the two disc dvd version any better than the one disc edition. the two disc edition is cheap at the moment so i might pick it up if it is better
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster   Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same remaster
Page 1 of 1