Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Electric Light Orchestra

Go down 
+10
tohostudios
the sentinel
TheGooch
SAHB Healer
stepcousin
TrogDawn
thejokeriv
spiritoradio
Mglaffas81
EvyMetal
14 posters
AuthorMessage
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Electric Light Orchestra Empty
PostSubject: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 2:21 am

Anyone else like these guys? For a while, they were my favorite band. I still bust out some of their stuff once in a while.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2008 3:22 am

I love 'em!! ...wow, I had totally forgotten about them. I need to dig out some of my old cd's. They rule! 🤘
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 1:16 pm

I love ELO. Great band. I only have one album from them, but its really the best one, compilation-wise. Strange Magic: The Best of Electric Light Orchestra, it is fantastic, definitely worth getting if you are a new listener to the band.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 8:12 pm

They are OK, not one of my favorites, I don;t collect their CD's but they are talanted. My wife loves the Xanadu soundtrack
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 12:09 am

spiritoradio wrote:
I love ELO. Great band. I only have one album from them, but its really the best one, compilation-wise. Strange Magic: The Best of Electric Light Orchestra, it is fantastic, definitely worth getting if you are a new listener to the band.
Yep, that's a great collection - I have it too. cool

I recently picked up their s/t debut also. It contains my fave track from them, "10538 Overture".
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 4:06 am

TrogDawn wrote:

I recently picked up their s/t debut also. It contains my fave track from them, "10538 Overture".

Overall, how is the debut, I saw it and was gonna pick it up, but saw something better on my want list.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 4:12 am

It has that early, string based, pseudo classical-pop rock sound they had before Roy Wood left the band and Jeff Lynne took over. Possibly an acquired taste, but I like it.
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 7:37 pm

In their hey day they were a bit overplayed but they were doing stuff nobody else was doing and doing it well. They have song legendary music.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 2:51 am

Yes, I like them a lot. Their previous incarnation "The Move" was good too, and actually pretty heavy toward the end of their run.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 am

used to me one of my fave bands when i was at school. i have all their albums on vinyl
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 4:16 am

I absolutely love these guys. Listening to the Face The Music album right now!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 6:21 pm

If you like the Roy Wood ELO stuff or 70s glam rock at all, I'd recommend his next band Wizzard.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 6:39 pm

I like ELO until that album with the dreaded "Mr. Blue Sky" came out (Out of the Blue?) I loved "Fire On High" which was used as the theme song for the old CBS Sports Spectacular show.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 1:56 am

tohostudios wrote:
I like ELO until that album with the dreaded "Mr. Blue Sky" came out (Out of the Blue?) I loved "Fire On High" which was used as the theme song for the old CBS Sports Spectacular show.

Oh, man. I am so glad someone else remembers that. None of my friends believe me!!!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 8:46 am

the sentinel wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Oh, man. I am so glad someone else remembers that. None of my friends believe me!!!

That's also one of the first instances of backmasking I recall hearing. That song starts with some really creepy sounding backwards talking. I used to spin the turntable the other way to hear what it was really saying which was something like "The music is reversible. Turn back, turn back, turn back".

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 4:29 pm

It's my favorite ELO song, but it gives me the creeps no matter how many times I hear it. According to wikipedia, it says "The music is reversible, time is not. Turn back, turn back, turn back." Awesome tune. I think that Poker and Nightrider are so underated from that album. Peace.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 11:27 pm

I have been binging on these guys big time the last few weeks. I have found that ELO are one of those bands whose hits are great but when you listen to their albums as a whole, you really get a sense of how brilliant these guys are.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 3:16 pm

I like their early prog stuff, but their pop stuff was pretty good as well.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 3:57 am

I think they are unique with a weird vocal sound like the BeeGees. I actually thought that one of their songs was a paul McCartney tune at first.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 12:16 pm

troublezone wrote:
I think they are unique with a weird vocal sound like the BeeGees. I actually thought that one of their songs was a paul McCartney tune at first.

Really? Which one?
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 3:21 pm

the sentinel wrote:
troublezone wrote:

Really? Which one?

I agree that some of their stuff sounds a like The Beatles.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 10:45 am

Sad news for fans:

ELO bassist Kelly Groucutt has died after suffering a heart attack at age 63.
A statement on Groucott’s official website says:
‘It is with great sadness that I have to inform the fans that Kelly Groucutt died on the afternoon of 19th February 2009 of a heart attack.
‘Our hearts and thoughts go out to Anna and Kelly’s family. He touched all of our lives with his love, kindness and generosity as well as his talent for music and song.
‘He was a true and wonderful friend who loved every second of life and he will be greatly missed by us all.’
Groucutt was bassist for the Electric Light Orchestra between 1974 and 1983.
The first Electric Light Orchestra album to feature him on bass guitar and as a backing vocalist was 1975’s Face The Music.
He continued contributing on the following albums A New World Record (1976), Out of the Blue (1977), Discovery (1979), Xanadu (1980) and Time (1981).
He is credited with playing bass on 1983’s Secret Messages, although it has been stated from an official source that he only played on four songs.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:07 pm

saw them Live 1.12.08 here, it was good. glad to see 'em.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:35 pm

Man, a lot of band members are dying this time of year. What the heck?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electric Light Orchestra   Electric Light Orchestra Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Electric Light Orchestra
Page 1 of 1