Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!

Go down 
+11
Vordul
DallasBlack
stormspell
Thrasher73
EvyMetal
Fat Freddy
nevermore
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
Smindas
mc666
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Empty
PostSubject: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 12:13 pm

This was today's mail:

Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Mail

lol!

I should buy my mailman a ticket to Cancun, I think. Haha. I don't get this much mail every day, but I generally get at least one package or oversized envelope. Do you guys tip your mailman? I've never even thought to do it until I read about a month ago that people actually do this.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 12:25 pm

he gets paid to do his job. i never tip for anything.

i get about that much in mail & packages weekly most weeks. not daily though.

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 12:41 pm

mc666 wrote:
he gets paid to do his job. i never tip for anything.
Same here, except at resteraunts. I tip waiters, and well, if they're good. This thing about tipping the mailman seemed odd to me. They get paid decent money, why tip? I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 12:43 pm

There's no chance of me tipping my post man. Royal Mail is so obscenely unreliable a service at the moment.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 12:43 pm

Quote :
i never tip for anything.

Not even wait staff at restaurants?

Eyesore...I've always tipped the mail carrier. Nothing major but a token of appreciation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 12:47 pm

Smindas wrote:
There's no chance of me tipping my post man. Royal Mail is so obscenely unreliable a service at the moment.
Dude, Royal Mail sucks! I had so many packages arrive opened and cleaned out while I lived in the UK I can't even count! Bunch of damn theives! I once won something for like three pounds on eBay, the seller was in the UK so I just sent off a padded envelope with three coins taped to the inside of the envelope. It showed up to him open, money gone. Terrible.

I was disgusted with the Royal Mail.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 12:50 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
do they not receive a paycheck? i can't remember tipping my janitor each time he empties my waste basket, so i'm not going to tip a waitress each time she refills my coffee.

scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 12:57 pm

They are amongst the few (if only) workers who have wages based on the expectation of tips. Their employers are allowed to pay then lower than minimum wage because the expectation of tips is built into their pay scale. SO, I never skip tipping but will leave very token amounts if service is poor. Concerning other professions like Postal Carrier, Car wash, ect...you're right. I only tip exceptional service in those cases...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 1:05 pm

What is this Reservoir Dogs? Mr. Pink, throw in a buck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 1:21 pm

mc666 wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
do they not receive a paycheck? i can't remember tipping my janitor each time he empties my waste basket, so i'm not going to tip a waitress each time she refills my coffee.
You deserve a smack then. Haha. Those waiters make about $2 an hour. You're supposed to tip them. I hope you're not a regular anywhere, because if you are you've eaten a lot of piss, spit, pubes, and buttcrack lint.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 1:24 pm

Eyesore has nailed it. That's not WHY you should tip waitstaff...but that's liable to happen if you don't . They actually do depend on tips as part of their earnings...
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Quote :
do they not receive a paycheck?

Why? Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 1:31 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Eyesore has nailed it. That's not WHY you should tip waitstaff...but that's liable to happen if you don't . They actually do depend on tips as part of their earnings...
There are a lot of people out there that don't understand this. What people also don't understand is that if these waiters made a normal rate of pay, all the prices on the menu would go up to compensate. And not only do the waiters rely on tips for income, but they often have to share a percentage (usually 10%) of their tips with the busboys, line staff, and bar staff (if there is a bar).

Trust me, I've been a waiter many times in my life, and those people that don't feel they need to tip don't always get what they order. Laughing Waiters in MA make $2.65 an hour. A 10-hour shift will get them about $24 in regular, non-tip wages. Tip them! And $2.65 is a high standard because it's Taxachusetts. Down in Arkansas it's probably still under $2.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 1:46 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
do they not receive a paycheck?

Why? Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?

...and now for a little Dickens
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 2:03 pm

No tips for my mailman. The guy can't lose my bills and brings me junk mail to make up for everything else. So I think me and the mailman are even.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 2:04 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Smindas wrote:
Dude, Royal Mail sucks! I had so many packages arrive opened and cleaned out while I lived in the UK I can't even count! Bunch of damn theives! I once won something for like three pounds on eBay, the seller was in the UK so I just sent off a padded envelope with three coins taped to the inside of the envelope. It showed up to him open, money gone. Terrible.

I was disgusted with the Royal Mail.
Wow, that's abysmal. Not only are Royal Mail useless, they're bad people.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 2:34 pm

That reminds me Eyesore, your package went out in the mail today.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 2:52 pm

ill tip the mailman by offerin him a soda or something of the sort IF its a hot day
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 5:58 pm

I'd never tip my postman. He shoves things in the mailbox that don't fit. If something is to big to shove in there he honks his horn for 10 minutes, if no one gets to it in time he throws the box over the fence into the yard. He screams and yells if one of the neighbors parks in front of the mailbox and tells me he will never deliver mail again if I don't get someone who I don't know and have no idea who it is not to park there.

I'd complain but then I'd never get anything in the mail again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 6:27 pm

firestar wrote:
I'd never tip my postman. He shoves things in the mailbox that don't fit. If something is to big to shove in there he honks his horn for 10 minutes, if no one gets to it in time he throws the box over the fence into the yard. He screams and yells if one of the neighbors parks in front of the mailbox and tells me he will never deliver mail again if I don't get someone who I don't know and have no idea who it is not to park there.

I'd complain but then I'd never get anything in the mail again.
Wow! What a dick. One night earlier this month I had stuffed a towel into the mail slot because it was drafty. The mailman opens my door the next day, I hear him say something, then the door closes. No mail came through the slot. So I'm in the living room, get up and open the door. No mail in the door either. I see him walking away with a huge stack of mail and some bubble envelopes. I stopped him, and he complained about the towel! Haha. I was like, "It's just a towel, not a wall. Just push it in."

Maybe I shouldn't tip him. Laughing
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 7:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I hope you're not a regular anywhere, because if you are you've eaten a lot of piss, spit, pubes, and buttcrack lint.
lol, you are probably right about that. sick

luckily, we only eat out while traveling. usually thats just some cheap fast food place where tips aren't required. it's rare that we waste money dining out. if you hadn't guessed... i'm a cheap bastard.

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 7:12 pm

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I hope you're not a regular anywhere, because if you are you've eaten a lot of piss, spit, pubes, and buttcrack lint.
lol, you are probably right about that. sick

luckily, we only eat out while traveling. usually thats just some cheap fast food place where tips aren't required. it's rare that we waste money dining out. if you hadn't guessed... i'm a cheap bastard.

yeah,I think we've figured that out lol!
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 7:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
This was today's mail:
Do you guys tip your mailman? I've never even thought to do it until I read about a month ago that people actually do this.

I use a P.O. Box coz my mailman proved to be a dyslexic and never learned that 422-6 is NOT 426-6 or 426-2 or any other random combination of those numbers, which happen to be my condo address. So after months of having my neighbours showing up on the door with my packages (and me distributing the wrong ones from my mailbox to their rightful owners) I went and got a P.O. Box - problem solved!

I do, however, give small tokens to the lady clerk at the post office. She collects small obejcts from bizzare places, so I always bring her some trinkets after I return from my European trips. She adores them and always makes sure my packages are safe and secure humble
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 7:55 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
They are amongst the few (if only) workers who have wages based on the expectation of tips. Their employers are allowed to pay then lower than minimum wage because the expectation of tips is built into their pay scale. SO, I never skip tipping but will leave very token amounts if service is poor. Concerning other professions like Postal Carrier, Car wash, ect...you're right. I only tip exceptional service in those cases...

When I came here to USA it amazed me (and still does) how some companies have found a way of passing their responsibility of paying their employees to the customers.

Saying that, I always leave tip in restaurants, but to be expected to pay 10-15% tip REGARDLESS of the service is very wrong to me.

Tipping should be a VOLUNTARILY act of appreciation for the good food and service. If it is considered mandatory, nor the cooks, nor the waiters will make any effort whatsoever of earning it.

I'm still so much used to the slow, leisure European style pubs where you sit and until you are not finished and call for the bill, NO ONE comes to rush you out or try to take your glass and utensils away so you have to leave... here in places liek Applebees, Omaha Steaks, or any other "restaurant" of that sort I always feel smacked into some fast-paced routine: sit, order drink, order food, drink refill, desert - yes/no and being given the bill without asking for it... notto mention the owner's desire to put as many tables and chairs as possible in a room, so you feel like canned fish when seated.

I understand restaurants are businesses and have to make profit, but some places have pushed it way too far in my opinion, and more often than not I leave the place dissatisfied. So having to pay "mandatory" 15% tip is like insult to the injury to me

Last edited by on Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 8:04 pm

Stormspell......I would LOVE that leisurely European pub style service and there's only one place in my town that has that at some level. It's modeled roughly after that pub type set up and the spacing and lighting and decor gives that feel. I agree with you...the rush-rush pace here is annoying!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!   Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dear Collectors, Give Your Mailman A Christmas Gift!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next