Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pre-Cowboys Pantera?

Go down 
+12
TheGooch
Troublezone
Lurideath
Temple of Blood
Required Fields
nevermore
kmorg
DallasBlack
Mglaffas81
Fat Freddy
caniplaywithmadness?
Tall Tyrion
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 8:05 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Phil admitted in early videos and interviews that PRIEST/Halford/"Unleashed in the East" was a huge influence on him.

I've never heard him say a word about QUEENSRYCHE.

Maybe he tried to sound like Halford but it came out like Tate. Razz
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:18 am

I've heard this stuff, and though it really doesn't sound like the post "Cowboys " Pantera it really isn't all that bad. There is some really top-notch guitar work on them. Like someone posted on the first page, this is true to the 80's sound. Just a sign of the times and then they moved on. I remember seeing these on vinyl back in the day in the record stores but never bought one of any of them (which is strange 'cause I bought most anything that looked metal". I thought they had cheesy covers and therefore got passed by. I've only heard any of them for the first time last year. Wish I had stopped and bought them now, the real discs are probably worth quite a bit to collectors. The curious will just download them.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 10:13 am

Here is a link to a page with complete songs from the first four lp as well as the other releases by them.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.vdopantera.com/albums/pitj/pitj.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.vdopantera.com/listening_area/&h=334&w=340&sz=109&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=NDRSaHoFsbeu7M:&tbnh=117&tbnw=119&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dprojects%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bjungle%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

I lived in Arlington, Tx in 85' and became pretty friends with Darrell. Before splitting in 86', I had seen them play ALOT. They were one of many great bands in a really kewl music scene. I still have a red sleeve jersey from Projects In The Jungle era, a Metal Magic Mystery Tour shirt from I am the night era, and after being back in So. Cal. for over a year. I was sent a Rock The World t-shirt and a vinyl copy of Power Metal. I also have the first three on vinyl.
My opinion for what it is worth calls the songs hit and miss but they improve from lp to lp. I enjoy melodic hard rock / metal alot. Image has always been silly to me and any death / black metal band has just a strong an emphasis on image as any glam band. Perhaps if I hadn't saw them onstage so much and rode go karts with Darrell just about every week end. I wouldn't think as much of them. They were young folks having fun playing music and hanging with buds. The most ironic thing pertaining to that era of Pantera was that labels told them they would never get signed with Terry on vocals and he split...he joins Lord Tracy and they get signed and release a lp on a major label long before Cowboys.

Hope the link gives folks a heads up on what it was all about !

Laterz
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 11:29 am

Quote :
All of them have been bootlegged onto CD at one time or another since Pantera got huge though. Makes you wonder why Vinnie doesn't just package them all together in a little box set ("Pantera -- The Early Years" or somethin' like that) and make some of that cash for himself. There's obviously demand for'em.

I'd buy that.

I think that will happen someday. One day Vinnie's gonna be cleaning out the basement and decide to release it in "honor" of his brother. Despite what Pantera became and how they've distanced themselves from those early releases, it still has Dimebag's musical stamp all over 'em.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 11:30 am

He's gotta get all the old appliances out of his house first. Anyone know how much that oven went for?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 11:32 am

spectrefate wrote:
He's gotta get all the old appliances out of his house first. Anyone know how much that oven went for?

Somewhere in the neighborhood of $575, I believe...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 11:33 am

I think all four are excellent. Vinnie needs to re-release them all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 5:24 pm

Definitely dig the first four, though i dont own any of them but my gf has em all so im good lol one of the better Glam bands out at the time. I LOVE their CFH-RTS stuff though as well as many of their side projects such as Down, Superjoint Ritual, Viking Crown, Rebel Meets Rebel, Crowbar and Damageplan. all of which my almost unhealthily obsessive gf has.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 4:05 am

Funny how they're four entire albums, I guess about 40 original songs written, recorded and released; and the band will travel miles to hide them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 2:06 pm

pijuyo wrote:
Funny how they're four entire albums, I guess about 40 original songs written, recorded and released; and the band will travel miles to hide them.
Nonsense. Prove this silly theory. Don't just repeat lame rumors, go out and find where the band "travels miles" to hide their past. The net is deep with information.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 2:09 pm

i have heard a few songs from these early albums but i dont own any as copies are pretty much non existent in england but from what i have heard it was good but far removed from the pantera we know and love
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:04 pm

It's in the internet somewhere. What I mean by "travel miles" is that the band are actually ashamed of them or hide them purposely in order not to affect their current image. I'll try to find an interview with Vinnie Paul and a comment about Phil's reaction to a question about it. Meanwhile, take a look at this:

http://www.pantera.com/releases.htm

What's the reason not to include them there? About Forty songs just totally ignored.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:06 pm

probably cos they did not fit in with the hard image. maybe also cos they were a rival to grunge after hair died and did not want people to associate them with hair based on image
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:48 pm

pijuyo wrote:
It's in the internet somewhere. What I mean by "travel miles" is that the band are actually ashamed of them or hide them purposely in order not to affect their current image. I'll try to find an interview with Vinnie Paul and a comment about Phil's reaction to a question about it. Meanwhile, take a look at this:

http://www.pantera.com/releases.htm

What's the reason not to include them there? About Forty songs just totally ignored.
Pantera are not the only band out there that doesn't include their indie releases in their discography. It happens all the time.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 11:25 am

Here is another page with complete audio clips to every studio lp they ever did, as well as that live thing.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.vdopantera.com/albums/pitj/pitj.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.vdopantera.com/listening_area/&h=334&w=340&sz=109&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=NDRSaHoFsbeu7M:&tbnh=117&tbnw=119&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dprojects%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bjungle%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pre-Cowboys Pantera?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3