Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ultimatum review

Go down 
+5
Olafsto
Rex
ultmetal
Mglaffas81
kmorg
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Ultimatum SCREAM MAGAZINE review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 6:14 am

Scream Magazine reviews Into The Pit in their December issue. They gave it 4/6, and that is from one of the most "diffucult" reviewers!! I'll translate the thing for you later.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 5:49 am

Sounds good! 🤘 ...right when you mentioned the "difficult" thing, it reminds me of how hilariously laughable some reviewers/metalheads are. They are so narrow-minded, especially when it comes to albums like the Black Album, the "loads" and stuff like that. Without even listening to it proporly, they bash it all they can, and use it as excuse to belt out as many insulting jokes as humanly possible, just to try and come off as funny *COUGH* King God-Space *COUGH*. Ahh, heck. Looking forward, if it is in Norwegian, send it! me understand Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 8:51 am

Cool. So it's a halfway decent review?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 10:38 am

I would say it's a good review, but he felt a little nice giving it a 4. A 3 out of 6 would be more like him. Still, a 4 it got!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 10:46 am

Did they mention the artwork?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 11:30 am

Rexorcist wrote:
Did they mention the artwork?

sorry, no.

Administrator
ultmetal

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2007 11:39 am

Ugh! Dying to know what they said. Can you just give me some of the basic positives and negatives?

ult

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 12:04 pm

Scream Magazine, 4/6, reviewed by Leif Kringen

"Dette er den fjerde fullengderen til Ultimatum, men vi må helt tilbake til 2001 for å finne forgjengeren. Amerikanerne fremfører kraftfull thrash metal med et markant heavy metal-element, noe som blant annet kommer til utløp i en versjon av Iron Maidens "Wratchild". Litt skjematisk kan bandet kanskje beskrives som en blanding av Exodus, Overkill og Metal Church. Ingen dårlig attest det, men Ultimatum er selvsagt ikke i nærheten av nivået disse aktørene holder på sitt beste. Likevel er det en hel del å glede seg over her. Vokalist Scott Waters bjeffer og snerrer seg pågående gjennom skiva, og tilfører litt snert til et album som nok er kledd i en lyddrakt som, til tross for (eller kanskje på grunn av) at den er kraftfull, fremstår som en smule for klinisk. Låtmaterialet er jevnt over bra, kanskje med en ekstra pluss til "Deathwish" og den herlig banale "Heart Of Metal", hvor bandet klart får utløp for de nevnte heavy metal-tendensene. På plussiden nevnes også en del riktig så fine soloer. Jeg føler meg litt snill som gir en firer, men luker en bort de mest midtempoorienterte stakattopregede riffpartiene og får til en noe skitnere produksjon neste gang, kan dette virkelig bli noe."

"This is the 4th full-length album from Ultimatum, but we have to go as far back as to 2001 to find its predecessor. The Americans present powerful thrash metal with a marked heavy metal element, something that for example comes across in a version of Iron Maiden's "Wratchild". A general outline would maybe be to describe them as a mix/blens of Exodus, Overkill and Metal Church. Not a bad testimonial, but Ultimatum are of course not even close to the level any of these acts are on when they are at their best. Still there is plenty to be happy about here. Vocalist Scott Waters barks and sneers aggressively throughout the album, and adds some pizzaz (sp?) to an album that might be clad in a sound that, despite (or maybe becasue of) being powerful, comes across as a little too clinical. The songs are evely good throughout, maybe with an extra plus to "Deathwish" and the delightfuly cheesy "Heart Of Metal", where the band clearly gets an outlet for the mentioned heavy metal tendencies. Another plus is also given to some great guitar solos. I do feel a little nice to give the album a 4, but if they can weed out some of the more midtempo-oriented staccato-like riffs, and creates a "dirtier" production the next time, they a definitly on to something."

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 12:05 pm

A pretty word-forword tranlation, so the English might not be good. But you get the idea.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 12:15 pm

I subscribe to Scream Magazine, and it was a pleasure to read a review of Into the Pit in the biggest Metal mag in Norway!
You guys should be very proud of it too, this reviewer does not give out to many high scores, so giving it 4 of 6, means that he really likes it!
Well deserved, hopefully it will get you some more Norwegian fans.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 1:40 pm

Right on. Thanks for translating that Kmorg.

Wow, if that is a glowing review by this reviewer Id hate to see what a bad review is. Regardless, hope it will bring some sales in Europe.

ult

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 1:48 pm

Nice Review,but I disagree with him on one thing.About not being on the level with Exodus or Overkill.I think Into the Pit put them right up there with the big boys.Just my two cents
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 1:59 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Nice Review,but I disagree with him on one thing.About not being on the level with Exodus or Overkill.I think Into the Pit put them right up there with the big boys.Just my two cents

Thanks thrasher. Several others have said that as well. However, you also have to remember that most new bands will never live up to the bands we hold onto from our youth. Nostalgia is powerful and often makes us remember things in a much better light than they actually are. Therefore for some people we will never live up.

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 2:08 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Nostalgia is powerful and often makes us remember things in a much better light than they actually are. Therefore for some people we will never live up.

I know this isn't the point of your post, ult, but Into The Pit is leaps and bounds up the thrash food chain from an album such as Fabulous Disaster. Some people are just closed minded to stuff. Like me for example, I refuse to eat oysters.

I think a CT Scan is order for me.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 2:50 pm

spectrefate wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Nostalgia is powerful and often makes us remember things in a much better light than they actually are. Therefore for some people we will never live up.

I know this isn't the point of your post, ult, but Into The Pit is leaps and bounds up the thrash food chain from an album such as Fabulous Disaster. Some people are just closed minded to stuff. Like me for example, I refuse to eat oysters.

I think a CT Scan is order for me.

Thanks. 🤘

Metal student
Metal student
ultrametal

Number of posts : 192

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2007 9:09 pm

Neato!
Back to top Go down
http://www.burnlounge.com/desertriomedia
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 11:05 am

ultmetal wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

Thanks thrasher. Several others have said that as well. However, you also have to remember that most new bands will never live up to the bands we hold onto from our youth. Nostalgia is powerful and often makes us remember things in a much better light than they actually are. Therefore for some people we will never live up.

Very true Ult!
Personally I think you do live up to their level!!
The more I listen to Into the Pit, the more I like it!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 11:18 am

Olafsto wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

Very true Ult!
Personally I think you do live up to their level!!
The more I listen to Into the Pit, the more I like it!!! 🤘

Thanks. I like it a lot too. 🤘

Administrator
ultmetal

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 10:15 am

A similar review on PowerMetal.dk
http://www.powermetal.dk/reviews07/ultimatum_review.htm

Ultimatum
Into the Pit

80/100

The North American band Ultimatum started in 1992. I must admit that I don't know their earlier records, but I will look for them in the future. The band started with a demo called: "Fatal Delay” in 1993. The first record was completed in 1995 called: 'Symphonic Extremities". In 1998 they released their second album called: "Puppet of Destruction". Their third album: "The Mechanic of Perilous Times" was issued in 2001. The EP "Till the End" came out in 2006. And now there is their new one: "Into the Pit".

The band is a band with Christian lyrics. I hear you thinking, oh no... But I must admit, when you are not so narrow minded, this isn't a problem at all. They do not overdo it like Stryper does. I don't think they will be throwing Bibles into the audience like Stryper.

Ultimatum is: Robert Gutierrez - lead and rhythm guitars, Scott Waters - vocals, Rob Whitlock - 4 & 8 string bass and Alan Tuma - drums. Some drum parts are played by Sean Diego. But the most important thing is what their music is like!

Expect a mixture of speed/trash like bands such as Overkill, Exodus and Vengeance Rising (especially the vocals) played in their earlier days. You can say that the band plays old school thrash. The vocals are a mixture of Udo Dirkschneider and Exodus-like vocals. The numbers are played fast and tight. Although I must say that the songs don't have the quality of Exodus. One song I must mention is the Iron Maiden cover “Wrath Child” - they play that song in their own style, it sounds good, but they don't beat the original.

Final conclusion: a good speed/thrash album worth listening to.

Reviewed by: Reinier de Vries

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 10:37 am

A good review....glad to see you guys doing well. The album deserves it....
Back to top Go down
fishingd
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
fishingd

Number of posts : 297

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 10:43 am

ultmetal wrote:
A similar review on PowerMetal.dk
http://www.powermetal.dk/reviews07/ultimatum_review.htm

Ultimatum
Into the Pit

80/100

The North American band Ultimatum started in 1992. I must admit that I don't know their earlier records, but I will look for them in the future. The band started with a demo called: "Fatal Delay” in 1993. The first record was completed in 1995 called: 'Symphonic Extremities". In 1998 they released their second album called: "Puppet of Destruction". Their third album: "The Mechanic of Perilous Times" was issued in 2001. The EP "Till the End" came out in 2006. And now there is their new one: "Into the Pit".

The band is a band with Christian lyrics. I hear you thinking, oh no... But I must admit, when you are not so narrow minded, this isn't a problem at all. They do not overdo it like Stryper does. I don't think they will be throwing Bibles into the audience like Stryper.

Ultimatum is: Robert Gutierrez - lead and rhythm guitars, Scott Waters - vocals, Rob Whitlock - 4 & 8 string bass and Alan Tuma - drums. Some drum parts are played by Sean Diego. But the most important thing is what their music is like!

Expect a mixture of speed/trash like bands such as Overkill, Exodus and Vengeance Rising (especially the vocals) played in their earlier days. You can say that the band plays old school thrash. The vocals are a mixture of Udo Dirkschneider and Exodus-like vocals. The numbers are played fast and tight. Although I must say that the songs don't have the quality of Exodus. One song I must mention is the Iron Maiden cover “Wrath Child” - they play that song in their own style, it sounds good, but they don't beat the original.

Final conclusion: a good speed/thrash album worth listening to.

Reviewed by: Reinier de Vries

WOW!!! That is a killer review 🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 10:58 am

Yup, not bad. Very Happy

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
fishingd

Number of posts : 297

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:12 pm

Not bad??? Very Happy Very Happy Be in the Company of Overkill, Exodus and Vengeance Rising Thats killer 🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 12:23 pm

fishingd wrote:
Not bad??? Very Happy Very Happy Be in the Company of Overkill, Exodus and Vengeance Rising Thats killer 🤘

Yes, but this line sort of killed it:
Quote :
Although I must say that the songs don't have the quality of Exodus.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 2:45 pm

Only about 3 lines out of 12 actually are about the album. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ultimatum review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ultimatum review   Ultimatum review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ultimatum review
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Band Forums :: Ultimatum-
Jump to: