Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beatles fans here?

Go down 
+20
DeathCult
criss3o
Neuropete
King D
QuothTheRaven
assault_attack
tohostudios
stevegarveyfan
Schbopo
Addy
MetalRob331
manny
XYZ
MetalGuy71
spiritoradio
EvyMetal
DallasBlack
stepcousin
Tall Tyrion
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2007 5:27 pm

John had a wicked sense of humor.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 8:28 pm

Big Beatles fan here. Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road are some of the greatest albums ever.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 9:34 pm

defender_of_the_faith wrote:
The Beatles still had a profound impact upon metal!

I agree with statement 100% the Beatles impact on rock is enormous. They were first self contained unit, thou other early rockers such as Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, and Jerry Lee Lewis wrote their own songs, this was not the standard practice of rock musicians til the Beatles started doing this. Prior to this musicians had to have the record company or producer find songs for them. Also the Beatles were a self contained unit meaning that when you bought a Beatles album you heard the actual Beatles not studio musicians backing Paul or John. They were also innovative musicians in the studio. The Beatles along with George Martin utlilized the studio as another instrument, doing this before 1967, albums such as Revolver and Rubber Soul were innovative in terms of sound, use of tape, backward recording, using different tunings etc. This in turn would go on to influence Jimi Hendrix who turned influenced just about every guitartist that followed including metal heavy weights such as Tony Iommi, Glen Tipton, and Alice Cooper. That being the case than I would say the Beatles had impact on the musicial genre known as heavy metal. Also I agree that other bands such as already mentioned Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly etc where playing heavier music than the Beatles, but neither of thoses bands wrote a song as good or even as heavy as " Helter Skelter" which was covered by both Motley Crue and Aerosmith, or " I Want You (She's so Heavy)" maybe the first example of stoner metal which was later covered by Coroner. I have made my case why I feel the Beatles had an profound impact on heavy metal.

Now thoses who stated otherwise, counter arguments please.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 3:30 pm

The Beatles imo came out at just the right time and became what I call the first pop band. I also don't think they had any effect on the Metal world. I would go as far as to say they are #1 on my worst bands ever list. Out of all the material they have i maybe like 1 song. To each there own, but an average band with below average songs imo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 3:35 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
I also don't think they had any effect on the Metal world.

You of course are entitled to your opinion, but this statement is 100% wrong. Who do you think people like Ozzy, Halford, and Cooper (to name just a few) listened to that influenced them to be rock stars? The Beatles, of course. Saying they had no effect on the metal world is like saying ice cream has no effect on fat women.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 3:47 pm

spectrefate wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
I also don't think they had any effect on the Metal world.

You of course are entitled to your opinion, but this statement is 100% wrong. Who do you think people like Ozzy, Halford, and Cooper (to name just a few) listened to that influenced them to be rock stars? The Beatles, of course. Saying they had no effect on the metal world is like saying ice cream has no effect on fat women.

My way of looking at this is if I were influenced by a guitarist say, i would try and base my playing on his style. I don't think those you mentioned sound anything like the Beatles. I understand the huge impact they had on the rock world, i just don't think the Beatles influenced the metal genre. Maybe to start a band but i'm looking at it as a music outlook
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 4:05 pm

I think even from a musicial outlook they influnenced heavy metal, they like I stated before wrote their own songs, which was not common place in the early 60's for recording artist to do, also they way they used the studio as another instrument and their exploration with sound, tapes, and instrumentation.

Heavy Metal bands are known for the care and time they take in the studio to craft their albums. As a matter heavy metal is one of few genres where fans speak openly about an album's production etc.

Just because you are influenced by a band or an artist does not mean you wish to sound like them, it just means they influenced to pick up an instrument or to try to write your own song. Sonic wise listen to Helter Skelter or I want you (she's so heavy) it may not be Slayer but it was heavy for its day.

As far as the statement that the Beatles were a pop band, FALSE!!! They may have had top ten singels etc, but that does not make them like Herman's Hermits or whoever was big at the time. Great band.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 4:11 pm

Ozzy is a HUGE Beatles Fan!!!! He's even said so not to mention he's covered "In My Life" and John Lennon's "Working Class Hero"

I think the beatles influenced music worldwide but IMO theyre not the best band ever!

Each member is a good song writer in his own right
Im a fan of John and Paul's solo stuff, especially John he tapped into some raw emotions in his songs
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 5:07 pm

007 wrote:
Nope. Although I'm not denying their impact on music, I can't stomach their stuff. It's just stuff I could never get into

Same here. I really like the George Harrison solo stuff though.
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 8:22 pm

I don't care whether or not they influenced metal. I LOVE 'em and always have. Some of my earliest memories involve The Beatles. Possibly the best band ever, in my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 8:31 pm

I can't stand the Beatles. The most overrated rock group in history IMO.

BUT...

I do think they influenced metal. Motley Crue covered Helter Skelter. Saigon Kick has a major Beatles influence present on their S/T, and I'm currently listening to a 3 disc Wildhearts retrospective which includes the song "My Baby Is A HeadF...." which breaks into a re-creation of the "Daytripper" riff in the middle of the song.

So, IMO, to say the Beatles didn't impact metal denies the obvious.

Maybe the Beatles had no impact on the harsher subgenres of metal (black, death, industrial, thrash, etc), but I definitely think they impacted the more mainstream metal genres.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 8:46 pm

Holy crap! I just listened to Helter Skelter, and it really does sound like metal! Shocked

Wow, I think I like the Beatles now.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 8:49 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Holy crap! I just listened to Helter Skelter, and it really does sound like metal! Shocked

Wow, I think I like the Beatles now.

Schumo listen to the White Album, Sgt Pepper's and Abby Road, not heavy metal but all great albums and I can almost guarantee you become a Beatles fan for life.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 9:28 pm

I've heard Abbey Road, and....not really my thing, but the few songs I've heard off the White Album have all been choice cuts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 2:16 pm

I LOVE THE BEATLES!!!! Everything from Help! onward is amazing!!! Early stuff is great, essential Pop Rock,...but they tapped into the magic starting on Help!...
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 5:48 pm

"I want You (She's So Heavy)" Has the heavy guitar sound that you know Tonny Iommi listened to. And yes Helter Skelter. 🤘
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 5:55 pm

I can't stand The Beatles but I appreciate their influence on many bands. I'm listening to one right now; Ginger of The Wildhearts specifically names them as an influence on him.

Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 9:21 pm

Love me some Beatles! One of my favorites. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am certainly not going to try to convince anyone that my view is right, but I think that the Beatles influenced almost everything in music, either directly or indirectly, that came after them. As others have mentioned, they were a complete package (one of the first) that wrote their own stuff and actually played it on their records, and could play it live. Love 'em!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 10:24 am

Strawberry Fields Forever
Across the Universe
Foot on the Hill
Here Comes The Sun
Elanor Rigby
Norweigian Wood
Penny Lane

thats just a few off the top of my head
Back to top Go down
King D
Metal novice
Metal novice
King D

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 4:02 pm

I'm definitely a Beatles fan!! Growing up, my Dad always had them on in the house, in his car, etc; so it rubbed off on me. Smile My favorite albums by them are probably Revolver and Rubber Soul. The mid-period stuff. I like all of it, though.

And Helter Skelter is friggin' HEAVY for 1968! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 7:53 am

Huge Beatle fan! I think even people that do not like their music acknowledge their impact in music. Frankly, I do not know if we will ever see something like them again. Yes, I know folks get tired of hearing how great they were. But, in my own humble opinion, you can never say too much about them. I own everything they have recorded, and could sit an listen to them all day long.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 3:51 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I can't stand the Beatles. The most overrated rock group in history IMO.

BUT...

I do think they influenced metal. Motley Crue covered Helter Skelter. Saigon Kick has a major Beatles influence present on their S/T, and I'm currently listening to a 3 disc Wildhearts retrospective which includes the song "My Baby Is A HeadF...." which breaks into a re-creation of the "Daytripper" riff in the middle of the song.

So, IMO, to say the Beatles didn't impact metal denies the obvious.

Maybe the Beatles had no impact on the harsher subgenres of metal (black, death, industrial, thrash, etc), but I definitely think they impacted the more mainstream metal genres.

Was listening to the cable tvs arena rock channel and they were playing RATT and it said for those factoids that one of the members i cannot remember who claims the Beatles as an influence and I thought of this discussion when I saw that
Back to top Go down
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

Number of posts : 176

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 10:56 pm

I LOVE The Beatles! I own every album and movie! Personally, I think they influenced everyone how came after them be it directly or indirectly, but the bottom line is I LOVE their music!!!
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 6:39 pm

I've been listening to quite a bit of The Beatles lately, mostly in anticipation for the new remastered box set.

I've heard a few tracks on various Beatles radio shows, and the remastered stuff sounds amazing.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 6:42 pm

I'm starting to get more and more into the Beatles. I've got four of their albums so far, in addition to solo stuff by George Harrison and John Lennon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beatles fans here?   Beatles fans here? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beatles fans here?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next