Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Skyclad

Go down 
+13
tohostudios
ensiferum2k
stormspell
Temple of Blood
Smindas
EvyMetal
Fat Freddy
SAHB Healer
SideShowDisaSter
scottmitchell74
Olafsto
mc666
ultmetal
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:26 pm

ensiferum2k wrote:
k...what Pyogenesis albums are worth getting. I'm liking their sound on the first few songs of that video.
I would say Ignis Creatio, Waves Of Erotasia, and Sweet X-Rated Nothings definitely (and any demos you could find before Ignis Creatio). Twinaleblood is likely as far you could go, but even that album is a bit much to take. After that I'd just completely avoid everything unless you like punk pop nonsense.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 9:04 pm

Eyesore wrote:
No way, man. Pyogenesis did nothing like the other bands did. Those bands evolved into something different, but really no stretch of the imagination. With Twinaleblood they sort of went toward that experimental heavy goth metal sound like Paradise Lost (in a poppier manner), but after that they just took a left turn and floored it... Check that out! Haha. Unbelievable.

I disagree. The only difference I see between Paradise Lost and Pyogenesis is that Pyo went from doom-death to brit-pop, while Paradise Lost to new-wave. Both distances are about the same stretch to me. Pyo's road was a bit more gnarly and they stepped on some ska/punk "stones" along the way, while P. Lost had more smooth, straightforward approach to becoming the new Depeche Mode, that's all I can see really.

Then again quite a lot of the original doom-death bands evolved drastically. Just look at Therion, or my favourites Atrocity with their obssession of butchering the 80s disco scene through industrial prism, before returning to their doom-death rots with Atlantis in 2004.

If I wasnt so busy I could make you an "evolution" clips of all aforementioned bands which could be as striking as pyo's or even more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 11:55 am

Back to Skyclad, I got Vintage Whine in the post today (won me a nice digipak version of it off eBay - the only extra being a cool live video of "Building a Ruin" from Wacken '98). I've only given it one possible listen through at the moment, but what a fantastic album. It's weird, instead of becoming even more traditionally folk like they had done with prior releases, things became quite heavy on Vintage Whine. But then, they didn't lose the very prominent folk feelings of The Answer Machine?, so you get both extremes on one album, melding together very well. Sort of like Prince of the Poverty Line, although with a more significant use of the fiddle. It works well, I'm enjoying it.

I also ordered Burnt Offering For The Bone Idol the other day (I found ti only for £8, which considering it's rarity, is a steal), but it'll be a while before that arrives. Should be an enjoyable CD though!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 1:29 pm

My favorite by Skyclad is Folkemon.

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 2:22 pm

I'm still digesting all that I bought off Locky. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I will be forever bitter that you got in there before me. Any favourites thus far, as you got them quite a while ago I remember?

Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 7:27 pm

To anyone whose just getting into Skyclad, I'd highly reccomend their compilation disc Old Rope. It collects material from their first four albums, and is a good example of how they used to be.

It's hard to pick a single album as the best, though, as each album has its own personality.
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 11:37 pm

I have several discs by these guys and they are just...weird. Not my thing at all... I might just send them to you Ult, if I don't eBay them.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 2:39 am

Eyesore wrote:
Let me help you with that, you look full
Back to top Go down
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 2:40 am

arttieTHE1manparty wrote:
I have several discs by these guys and they are just...weird. Not my thing at all... I might just send them to you Ult, if I don't eBay them.

Arttie

which ones do you have :>
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 3:04 am

tohostudios wrote:
My favorite by Skyclad is Folkemon.

Mine too! ...Well it's the only one I have, but I love the song "Polkageist".

Does anyone know which cd Emerald (the Thin Lizzy cover) is on?
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 5:10 am

Tracks From The Wilderness, which is an EP as opposed to a full-fledged album. Such a great Thin Lizzy cover.

Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 9:25 pm

I know for sure that I have "Silent Whales of the Lunar Sea" and "Prince Of The Poverty Line". I think I have two others, but can't remember their names off the top of my head.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 7:53 am

If you want to get rid of Silent Whales, perhaps we can arrange something *nudge, wink*

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 9:47 pm

Quick question: Does anyone know which one of these is more rare? This is The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea.

Skyclad - Page 2 Skyclad_whales

Maybe neither is rare. Who knows. The copy I had is on the left; I just found the copy on the right. Pretty lame that for years I could never find any Skyclad around here, so I buy a bunch from Locky. Now I'm seeing cheap used copies all over the place! Haha.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 10:22 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Quick question: Does anyone know which one of these is more rare? This is The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea.

Skyclad - Page 2 Skyclad_whales

Maybe neither is rare. Who knows. The copy I had is on the left; I just found the copy on the right. Pretty lame that for years I could never find any Skyclad around here, so I buy a bunch from Locky. Now I'm seeing cheap used copies all over the place! Haha.

The one on the left will be slightly more rare (but still fairly easy to find) as it's the first edition Noise release. The one on the right is the second Noise press run. Any time you see the circular Noise logo, it's the second or third run, whereas the blocky looking Noise logo is almost always from the first press runs.

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 12:24 am

Oh, cool. Thanks! I didn't think either was very rare, but figured I'd keep the rarest for myself and trade the other.

Thanks, bro!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 12:37 am

Reviving an old thread here.

I picked up Skyclad's debut Wayward at my local record store a couple of days ago, on my way back home.

Very good album. Not too folky, which is what I am enjoying about it the most.

Also saw a deluxe edition of Vintage Whine sitting on the shelves. Would you recommend it?
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 1:24 am

Gilbert wrote:
Reviving an old thread here.

I picked up Skyclad's debut Wayward at my local record store a couple of days ago, on my way back home.

Very good album. Not too folky, which is what I am enjoying about it the most.

Also saw a deluxe edition of Vintage Whine sitting on the shelves. Would you recommend it?

If you're more into the thrash sound they have on Wayward Sons, go up to Prince of the Poverty Line. That's probably the last album from the earlier run that still has thrash elements floating about.

Wayward Sons and A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol are probably the most thrash metal of their releases.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 6:28 am

Was just going through my shelves and it turned out that I also own tracks from the wilderness on cd.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 7:11 am

I've got them all. And whatever live, acoustic, EP's and compilations I've managed to get my hands on.

I've seen them live three times. Always a joy. I wish they'd do a big show with Martin as a guest, a nice DVD with the concert, promo videos and interviews. Would be perfect.

I love the band. You can see my album ranking here:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Larmer28/ranking_skyclad_albums/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skyclad - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skyclad
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2