Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Skyclad - In the... All Together

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Skyclad - In the... All Together Empty
PostSubject: Skyclad - In the... All Together   Skyclad - In the... All Together Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 6:31 am

Just got this in the mail today. Anyone else heard it?

I absolutely loved A Semblance of Normality, it's probably in my top 3 albums of the decade.

I'm giving the new one its first listen right now. Hard to say anything yet... my expectations are high and this is not an instant pleaser, but it certainly does seem to have a lot of potential.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Skyclad - In the... All Together   Skyclad - In the... All Together Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 7:28 am

I listened to the stream of the album on their Myspace and was a bit less than enthused. I will undoubtedly pick it up in the next few weeks, but it didn't bowl me over immediately like Semblance did. And of course, being a Walkyier fanboy, Martin's presence is sorely missed on my part.

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Skyclad - In the... All Together   Skyclad - In the... All Together Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 8:50 am

I've had this for a week now and I've given it about eight or nine spins so I think I can now say it's not up to the standards set by the previous Clad release. I still like Kevin Ridley's vocals, but I don't know if he's playing to his strengths anymore - a lot of it sounds like he's trying more to sound like Walkyier than Ridley. And as charismatic and good as Walkyier is, Ridley is equally good in his own style. No need to change too much.

The guitars and fiddle and compositions all around are solid Skyclad. I love that strange little laid-back solo on Hit List. You don't always need to shred, if the song doesn't require it.

The songs are quite good, and I keep changing my favourites quite often. Actually, the only ones I've constantly not liked are the Ridley penned tracks, 5, 8 and 10. The rest is very good. Just not A Semblance of Normality good. Overall it's quite heavy, and no more orchestration, which I think was the point -> a stripped down album - Skyclad in the altogether.

So the album is 'OK', but it definitely does feel damn good to have a new Skyclad album to listen to! It's been a long wait.

Favourites: Hit List, Modern Minds, Still Small Beer, A Well-Travelled Man
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Skyclad - In the... All Together   Skyclad - In the... All Together Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 2:25 pm

I was gonna get this last week but I have to hold back on the spending a little.

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Skyclad - In the... All Together   Skyclad - In the... All Together Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 5:51 pm

I saw Skyclad last night. Apart from the classic set they played the first four songs off the new album (Words Upon the Street, Still Small Beer, The Well Travelled Man and Black Summer Rain).

I talked a little with Kevin Ridley after the show and he said since it's the 20th anniversary of the band this year, there are plans to re-release the back catalogue. Great news for those like me having trouble getting those old albums. Right now I only have six of their albums.

The show was good. The band was received well and people really took into the drinking songs. Maybe a bit too much, I'd say. Bal-Sagoth headlined. This was the third time I've seen Skyclad.

Here's a picture of me and Steve Ramsey from last year.

Skyclad - In the... All Together Img2269k
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skyclad - In the... All Together   Skyclad - In the... All Together Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skyclad - In the... All Together
Page 1 of 1