Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Skyclad

Go down 
+13
tohostudios
ensiferum2k
stormspell
Temple of Blood
Smindas
EvyMetal
Fat Freddy
SAHB Healer
SideShowDisaSter
scottmitchell74
Olafsto
mc666
ultmetal
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 10:53 am

I've heard very little by this band but many people have recommended them to me. What's everyone's take on this band?

ult

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 11:27 am

i only have Wayward Sons & Bone Idol. pretty decent stuff, although these earlier albums were thrashy than their later stuff.

Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 11:43 am

Great stuff if you like some folk in your Metal,
I prefer their earliest albums.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 12:00 pm

I have Prince Of The Poverty Line - Pretty good stuff all around. Thrashy folk tinged metal. Often angry, sarcastic, and sometimes anti-religion lyrics but nothing to get worked up about.
Back to top Go down

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 12:38 pm

I have loved what I've heard, but never found an album. Hopefully I'll be scoring a big lot of their stuff soon (nudge, nudge...wink, wink).
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 8:51 pm

Their early albums are pretty much folk-tinged thrash metal (from Wayward Sons Of Mother Earth to around Prince Of The Poverty Line). After that the folk metal sound took over almost exclusively. I really enjoy all of their early albums, not really big on their later stuff.

The Wayward Sons Of Mother Earth could have been the final Sabbat album (it sounded much more like the first two than Mourning Has Broken does (not knocking that album, though, as I do enjoy it)).

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 2:53 am

Kinda folky, punky, geeky, pagan. But heavy and very catchy. Sometimes I think they influenced certain SOAD songs. Maybe not.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 9:39 am

I've heard a few odd (and I DO mean "odd") tracks here and there from this band over the years on compilations and sampler CDs, but never a full album. They're pretty cool, if you can deal with the dorky humor. They're like Monty Python with a metal soundtrack.

They have some brilliant, word-twisting song titles though: my favorite is "Think Back and Lie of England," haha!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 11:15 am

can anybody provide a link to some good music by them? I am far too lazy to check 'em out on myspace.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 4:56 pm

The Youtube video links at http://www.last.fm/music/Skyclad are mainly album covers with songs on, so you can listen to quite a few songs there - the songs on the embedded music player are only the new stuff.

I'm quite a big Skyclad fan, and having recently been able to get my hands on Jonah's Ark and Prince of the Poverty Line, I'm finding it hard to stop listening to them. The music is great, it's unique, it's heavy and catchy and generally melds elements of metal and folk quite nicely (although in varying amounts). A lot of people tend to also mention Skyclad's lyrics and indeed, Martin's tenure in the band seems to be filled with intelligent and witty, if not extremely bitter, lyrics. I think the best way to define Skyclad would be 'pub-metal' - they really give off that miserably British, soused vibe. It's great!

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 5:16 pm

I should be getting the bulk of their discography soon...unless Locky skipped town with my money. =)
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 6:02 pm

That's pretty sweet. I'm struggling to find their CDs anywhere other than eBay, and even then it's a bit scarce. If you happen to have something you're not interested in (which I doubt), give me a bell ;P

Last edited by on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 6:08 pm

Way overrated IMHO.
Back to top Go down

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 7:20 pm

Smindas wrote:
That's pretty sweet. I'm struggling to find their CDs anywhere other than eBay, and even then it's a bit scarce. If you happen to have something you're not interested in (which I doubt), give me a bell ;P
I have wanted to hear a full CD from this band for years, but I've never once seen a disc around here; not even a really expensive used or import copy. That's always surprised me.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 6:07 am

From what I gather, Skyclad have been most succesful in Germany and their albums have been in best circulation there and around Europe. What I find ironic is how nearly every Skyclad CD bar A Semblance of Normality is nigh-on impossible to find in Britain, their homeland. If there ever was a band that embodided Britain, it was Skyclad IMO.

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 7:41 am

they used to be a great band. they had thrash elements but you could never label them as such(thrash were sabbat, walkier's previous band). after all steve ramsey and graeme english were in the mighty satan. from the olde stuff i love the vinyls of prince of poverty line, a burnt offering for the bone idol. but their greatest was irrational anthems. after that they went more folky and less metal. i saw them 4 times(one in dynamo, 3 in greece). pure metal for poor people with rich metal heart. martin is great lyricist definately.....

Life's really a chocolate box -
some do without - others have plenty.
It sticks in my throat - my stomach's in knots,
while your box is so full - mine's perpetually empty....

....If we'd played this riff more punk,
than may be we'd have had a million seller.
But this piper's tune is not for sale,
(I'm glad to say I'm not that kind of fella).

D.J.s, V.J.s, pimps and trollops,
never mind music - this is bollocks.

...She said to me "Lad, if you'll be a musican,
go out and be one - but one with conviction.
If there's just one lesson the young ought to learn,
it's pay no deposit and get no return.......
Back to top Go down

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 7:53 pm

So yeah...these guys changed a bit, eh? I'm listening to the debut now and it's pretty thrashy. The latter stuff is almost cute in comparison. I definitely liked what I've heard of the latter stuff so far (History Lessens and Oui Avant-Garde A Chance), but I can see how this band could have pissed some people off. Haha. Great stuff, though.

At least they didn't pull a Pyogenesis! And if no one knows, Pyogenesis was a killer doom death band that went pop-punk. No joke!
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 12:53 am

Im liking their cover of Thin Lizzy's Emerald! 🤘
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 1:33 am

Eyesore wrote:
So yeah...these guys changed a bit, eh? I'm listening to the debut now and it's pretty thrashy. The latter stuff is almost cute in comparison. I definitely liked what I've heard of the latter stuff so far (History Lessens and Oui Avant-Garde A Chance), but I can see how this band could have pissed some people off. Haha. Great stuff, though.

At least they didn't pull a Pyogenesis! And if no one knows, Pyogenesis was a killer doom death band that went pop-punk. No joke!

I wouldnt compare Skyclad to Pyogenesis. Pyogenesis are crap, Skyclad has progressed and aged very nicely through the years and are one of the very few bands I've been following from the very beginning (since Sabbat actually) and still buy their new albums on a whim. Very few bands get my cash in this manner.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 1:51 am

stormspell wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I wouldnt compare Skyclad to Pyogenesis. Pyogenesis are crap, Skyclad has progressed and aged very nicely through the years and are one of the very few bands I've been following from the very beginning (since Sabbat actually) and still buy their new albums on a whim. Very few bands get my cash in this manner.
No, nothing like Pyogenesis. Skyclad clearly have progressed naturally. The first few Pyogenesis albums are killer, then...Fall Out Boy! Shocked
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:01 am

Eyesore wrote:
No, nothing like Pyogenesis. Skyclad clearly have progressed naturally. The first few Pyogenesis albums are killer, then...Fall Out Boy! Shocked

I remember watching Headbanger's Ball in 1991-1992 and amonghst all anathema/Paradise Lost/Entombed mania there were several Pyo clips, and yes, later they did make some disco albums, but so did Paradise Lost, and Anathema, so I guess it was a common plague on that genre Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 2:53 am

stormspell wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I remember watching Headbanger's Ball in 1991-1992 and amonghst all anathema/Paradise Lost/Entombed mania there were several Pyo clips, and yes, later they did make some disco albums, but so did Paradise Lost, and Anathema, so I guess it was a common plague on that genre Wink
No way, man. Pyogenesis did nothing like the other bands did. Those bands evolved into something different, but really no stretch of the imagination. With Twinaleblood they sort of went toward that experimental heavy goth metal sound like Paradise Lost (in a poppier manner), but after that they just took a left turn and floored it...

surprised

Check that out! Haha. Unbelievable.
Back to top Go down
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 3:39 am

k...what Pyogenesis albums are worth getting. I'm liking their sound on the first few songs of that video.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 6:05 am

Yeah, I think Skyclad's 'evolved' rather than 'changed'. They tend to flitter back and forth a bit at points. I think Jonah's Ark and Prince of the Poverty Line were pretty much the most transitional albums, and as a result, get that balance between folk and metal perfectly.

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 6:54 am

Eyesore wrote:
The latter stuff is almost cute in comparison.

I love that line. So yeah, become a writer. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skyclad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyclad   Skyclad Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skyclad
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next