Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!

Go down 
+19
Fat Freddy
krokus
journeyman
caniplaywithmadness?
DallasBlack
thejokeriv
Invader
Lurideath
Damien Solta
Thrasher73
exact33
iamrockerfun
TheGooch
scottmitchell74
ensiferum2k
rattpoison
candlemass
mc666
fingers
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:
Iron Maiden

A lot of people will disagree with this one - and the smurf up has a name and it is Blaze (of course, the song writing wasn't as strong w/o Adrian Smith)

Yeah, the Blaze era was lack luster. However, it was still metal and as far as I'm concerned, that means they didn't smurf up. I'm sorry no band as far as I can tell hits a home run everytime, after all no one is perfect. To say someone smurfs up should pertain to them changing their sound to please the mainstream (Rob Halford-Two, Metallica-Load and beyond, Savatage-Fight For The Rock, etc.), IMO. As long as a band sticks to their guns and don't compromise for anyone (i.e. staying true to yourself) then they are o.k. in my book.

i liked the blaze years. i love the x factor but virtual xi was a bit 'meh'. i still wouldn't say they 'smurfed' up either

motorhead
dio
overkill
ac/dc
blind guardian
exodus
nevermore
testament (kind of)
dream evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2007 2:50 pm

Let's see, I can think of a few:

Ultimatum
Bloodgood
Stryper (sure "Reborn" isn't great, but it's not bad either)
Queensryche (yeah, I'm in the minority here, but I like every album!)
Virgin Steele
Clan of Xymox (not a metal band, but I love all their releases)
Depeche Mode (same as above)
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2007 9:36 pm

exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:
Iron Maiden

A lot of people will disagree with this one - and the smurf up has a name and it is Blaze (of course, the song writing wasn't as strong w/o Adrian Smith)

Thats what kept them off my list. I thought blaze did a nice try but could never really pull it off... I know though my opinion of blaze is clouded by bruce's stuff though.

Alex

I think the Blaze era is really good. It has a completely different vibe, but non-the-less I like it. Check out The Clansman, Blood on the Worlds Hands and The Unbeliever. I know I'm in the minority in believing that the two Blaze albums were really good. There is some really good guitar playing.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 6:44 am

RUNNING WILD
SAMSON
TANK
FIST(CANADA)
EXCITER
AXEL RUDI PELL
etc....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 7:28 am

Grave Digger
Rage
W.A.S.P.
Overkill
Enslaved
Dark Angel
Toxik
Runemagick
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 9:42 am

black sabbath - never really released a truly aweful album but i suppose their are a few lacklustre albums in their catalogue but overall they never became a bad band
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 9:43 am

TheGooch wrote:
black sabbath - never really released a truly aweful album

You've obviously never heard the "FORBIDDEN" album, with a guest vocal appearance by Ice-T. Smile

But seriously, for "which band has never smurfed up," I think it's in the eye (or ear) of the beholder of course, but just about every band I like has "hit a clam" at least once in their career, I can't think of anyone whose catalog been golden all the way through.

These are just some of my all time favorite bands, yet each of 'em has "smurfed up" at least once...

Maiden had "X Factor" and "Virtual XI"
Metallica had... well, everything post-1988
Raven had "Pack Is Back"
Helloween had "Chameleon" and "Pink Bubbles Go Ape"
Priest had "Demolition"
Savatage had "Fight For The Rock"
Overkill had "I Hear Black"
Warrior Soul had "Chill Pill"
KISS had "Unmasked," "Crazy Nights"
Dio had "Angry Machines"
Twisted Sister had "Come Out and Play"

I'm sure there are some folks out there who like each of those albums, but I don't...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 2:04 pm

megadeth had risk and to a lesser extent cryptic wrtings
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 12:54 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
black sabbath - never really released a truly aweful album

You've obviously never heard the "FORBIDDEN" album, with a guest vocal appearance by Ice-T. Smile
i always respected Ice-T & his love of Sabbath & metal in general was admirable. however, in no way did he belong on a Sabbath album. he did a good job with the Slayer collaboration, but Sabbath are on a whole different level. it was a travesty.

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 3:26 pm

Death never smurfed up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 6:05 pm

Good call on Death!

I'll throw in Pestilence too!

🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 9:19 pm

Yea Pestilence! I need "Consuming Impulse".

While we're on death metal, i'm gonnna say AMON AMARTH. Hail Odin!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 9:20 pm

journeyman wrote:
exact33 wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:
Iron Maiden

Thats what kept them off my list. I thought blaze did a nice try but could never really pull it off... I know though my opinion of blaze is clouded by bruce's stuff though.

Alex

I think the Blaze era is really good. It has a completely different vibe, but non-the-less I like it. Check out The Clansman, Blood on the Worlds Hands and The Unbeliever. I know I'm in the minority in believing that the two Blaze albums were really good. There is some really good guitar playing.

The production was lacking on those two releases also. I do like The CLansman and Sign Of The Cross on Rock In Rio (of course, Bruce is singing) - IMHO just shows that blaze was wrong for Maiden
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 9:28 pm

mc666 wrote:

i always respected Ice-T & his love of Sabbath & metal in general was admirable. however, in no way did he belong on a Sabbath album. he did a good job with the Slayer collaboration, but Sabbath are on a whole different level. it was a travesty.

If memory serves, Ernie C. (Body Count's guitarist) produced Sabbath's FORBIDDEN so that's where the Ice-T connection comes in. It was just a very strange idea all around.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2007 12:05 am

defender_of_the_faith wrote:
Yea Pestilence! I need "Consuming Impulse".

While we're on death metal, i'm gonnna say AMON AMARTH. Hail Odin!

"Consuming Impulse" RULES!!! It was one of my first death metal albums back in the day. I still have memories of being stoned listening to that album. Don't do pot anymore though ...

Anyway - I've not heard Amon Amarth - but I've heard tons of good things of them. Perhaps I'll purchase one of their discs sometime.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 6:40 pm

if i had to say best band in rock that never smurfed up then its AC/DC
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 7:32 pm

Motorhead for sure.

IMO, AC/DC have never released a bad album. I know there are many who would argue that some of their 80s albums are bad, but I don't think so.

I actually like all of Maiden's albums, including the Blaze material.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 7:36 pm

I nominate The Angels. Sure some of their albums own their other albums (Face To Face, Beyond Salvation, Two Minute Warning) but I have all their albums and none suck IMO.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Trial by Fire

Number of posts : 271

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 8:18 pm

For me it's easily Death. Not only did they avoid "smurfing" up, but they managed to make each album even better than the one before it.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 9:46 pm

The only artist I own everything of, and have never been disappointed by, is Joe Satriani. I love everything the man has ever created!!! Very Happy I know he is not Metal, but everything else I thought of ( AC/DC, Aerosmith, Anthrax, Dokken, Dream Theater, KIss, Priest, Maiden, Savatage, Scorpions, WASP) have at least one album or a point in their careers where I have been disappointed after purchasing a new release. The only 3 bands that I could maybe put in this category of never smurfing up in my eyes would be Hurricane,Whitesnake, and Y&T. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 9:59 pm

mc666 wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:
candlemass wrote:
Motorhead released a good LP? lol!

They never released a bad LP. Motörhead is the band.
humble

🤘
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 2:14 am

tohostudios wrote:
I nominate The Angels. Sure some of their albums own their other albums (Face To Face, Beyond Salvation, Two Minute Warning) but I have all their albums and none suck IMO.

True dat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!   Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Metal band that have never have smurfed up!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2