Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Empty
PostSubject: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 2:03 pm

Ten or so years ago I came across a CD with a hot naked chick on the cover, took a chance and bought it. The alubm was called Velvet Darkness They Fear and I had never heard anything like it (or anything ever since). It was death/doom metal with a female vocalist and dark yet beautiful string music. Theatre Of Tragedy, I later found out, was a pioneer in what we now sometimes call gothic metal. They took the sound started by My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, and Anathema and added something extra.

The death vocals were pretty generic but were good nontheless but the star of the band was Liv Kristine whose beautiful and enchanting voice coupled with the dark yet heavy music made it a regular in my player. That was soon to be followed by their self-titled debut which was more of the same.

I never got the later ones and I'm glad I didn't. They went into a more electronica direction which practically eliminated the heaviness, the death vocals were replaced by annoying talking and many of the members disowned metal (the male vocalist pretty much bad mouthed metal music altogether). At least they had the lovely Kritine, but that soon changed when she wanted to do a side project, Leaves' Eyes which went back to a more metal sound, TOT decided to fire her over e-mail.

Leaves' Eyes are a fantastic band as are many of the beauty and the beast gothic metal bands but none can measure up to the first two TOT albums. I've yet to hear anything with the same combination of heaviness, beauty, and darkness. Interestingly enough, after the succss of Leaves' Eyes, TOT released a more metal oriented album (wankers!!).

Anybody else familiar with this great album?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26485

PostSubject: Re: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 2:09 pm

One of the best goth metal albums ever! And it's easily Theater Of Tragedy's best album.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 4:21 pm

this was the last album i liked by these guys. after this, they lost the death aspect in their music & started to sound dull to me.

yeah the first two ToT albums are fantastic.

PostSubject: Re: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 4:54 pm

I still like them. Very good band, both eras—I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2007 7:20 pm

I'm a huge Leaves' Eyes fan, but I've never heard Theatre of Tragedy. Sounds like something I need to look into.

I've picked up everything Leaves' Eyes has put out though.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 11:34 am

Great stuff, and one of the very few albums of that style I like.

PostSubject: Re: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 12:23 pm

blackieboy wrote:
I'm pissed that there's two exclusive bonus tracks on the US version of Vinland Saga. I bought the damn import! Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:
blackieboy wrote:
I'm pissed that there's two exclusive bonus tracks on the US version of Vinland Saga. I bought the damn import! Laughing

lol!

I got the US version - and they are good bonus tracks. I would have thought the import would have had it's own bonus tracks though.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 7:57 pm

I love TOT as well as Leave Eyes!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 10:45 pm

blackieboy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

lol!

I got the US version - and they are good bonus tracks. I would have thought the import would have had it's own bonus tracks though.
It doesn't. That's why I'm pissed! Haha. I bought the import because that was release way before the US version. Then the US version gets all kinds of bonus stuff. Pffft!

"Senses Capture" is my favorite by them. Love that tune!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 12:02 pm

Speaking of Leaves' Eyes - I sure hope they release a new full length soon. They've been touring with their EP for long enough.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 1:25 pm

blackieboy wrote:
Speaking of Leaves' Eyes - I sure hope they release a new full length soon. They've been touring with their EP for long enough.
Next up is a DVD after the new year, then they'll start on a new album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear   Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear
Page 1 of 1