Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Theatre of Tragedy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Theatre of Tragedy Empty
PostSubject: Theatre of Tragedy   Theatre of Tragedy Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 5:16 pm

I just got the first four Theatre of Tragedy albums from a friend (thanks Toho!) ... and have been wanting to check this band out for many years.

Another one from Norway (I like a lot of stuff from this country is seems), this is the band that Liv Kristine from Leaves' Eyes got her start.

Anyway ... I was expecting this to sound akin to Leaves' Eyes, but it's much different. Granted I've only heard their first one so far, but this just seems VERY heavy ... much heavier than Leaves' Eyes.

This is like a doom/death hybrid, with touches of goth.

Anyone else like this band? I know Dallas does!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Theatre of Tragedy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatre of Tragedy   Theatre of Tragedy Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 6:35 pm

It is death/doom that would later be called goth. Theatre along with My Dying Bride, and Paradise Lost took doom/death and developed the sound we now call goth metal. Although goth metal and goth have melded together over the years making them almost inseparable, they have separate roots. In other words, goth metal is an offeset from death/doom while goth is an offset of punk.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Theatre of Tragedy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatre of Tragedy   Theatre of Tragedy Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 1:16 am

the first 3 (self titled thru Aégis) are must haves for any gothic doom fan. after that, it was electronic/goth rock crap that i just couldn't enjoy.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Theatre of Tragedy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatre of Tragedy   Theatre of Tragedy Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 1:40 pm

mc666 wrote:
the first 3 (self titled thru Aégis) are must haves for any gothic doom fan. after that, it was electronic/goth rock crap that i just couldn't enjoy.

I've got those three, so I'll be looking forward to checking them out in the days ahead.

As far as the electronic/goth direction - I like a lot of that kind of thing too, so it may very well be to my liking.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

Theatre of Tragedy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatre of Tragedy   Theatre of Tragedy Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 9:06 am

I have Velvet Darkness and I love that one. I really need to pick up their earlier stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Theatre of Tragedy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Theatre of Tragedy   Theatre of Tragedy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Theatre of Tragedy
Page 1 of 1