Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Goth" Metal Band Recommendations

Go down 
+3
exact33
candlemass
nevermore
7 posters
AuthorMessage

"Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Empty
PostSubject: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 11:16 pm

Been giving these Charon discs a good spin the past few days and I really dig them. They play that To/Die/For style. Or HIM, I guess, for those not familiar with this style. Many call the style goth rock or goth metal, but as with most genres, it's a bit inaccurate, as it's not very gothic. Basically that mid-paced poppy doom. Yeah, poppy doom. That covers it. Haha.

Anyway, I don't have a lot of bands in this style, so I'll list what I do have:

Beseech
Charon
Entwine
For My Pain
HIM
Poisonblack
Sinisthra
The Eternal
To/Die/For

That's about it, I think. Any other bands like this that I'm missing out on?
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 2:57 pm

Check out Flowing Tears. I think you'd like them.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 3:07 pm

Saviour Machine
Wedding Party
The Awakening
I-Dragon-I
Undish
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 3:35 pm

nevermore wrote:
Check out Flowing Tears. I think you'd like them.
Huh...I meant to add them. Great band!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 3:36 pm

candlemass wrote:
Saviour Machine
Wedding Party
The Awakening
I-Dragon-I
Undish
Cool. I'll check them out. I've heard Saviour Machine and they didn't strike me as being like this style.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Theatre of Tragedy
My Dying Bride
My Silent Wake (maybe)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 3:54 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Theatre of Tragedy
My Dying Bride
My Silent Wake (maybe)
I left out bands like Theatre of Tragedy, Tristania, Battlelore, etc. They're more like doom-death bands. I'll check out My Silent Wake, never heard them. My Dying Bride, to me, is boredoom.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 5:00 pm

Sentenced!! For my the best by far!!

Alex

Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2007 6:01 pm

I should check out some of these bands. I need to branch out from Type O Negative and HIM for this genre.

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 12:53 am

Smindas wrote:
I should check out some of these bands. I need to branch out from Type O Negative and HIM for this genre.
Yeah, because Type O is poopy. I also wouldn't classify Sentenced as this style. They're a bit too fast and heavy, I think; even the latter stuff.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 2:08 am

If I'm reading you right, I'd recommend Cemetary...but if you were thinking along those lines you would have mentioned Nightingale's Breathing Shadow part one, So I guess I'm not sure what yer' talkin' about.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 2:26 am

Oh, and I really hate to mention them after the lack of response I got the other day...but Decoryah (slow, tastful use of heavyness, female back-up singers, gloomy). Another band like that was The Yearning.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 3:49 am

Eyesore wrote:
Smindas wrote:
Yeah, because Type O is poopy. I also wouldn't classify Sentenced as this style. They're a bit too fast and heavy, I think; even the latter stuff.
Poopy? :O How dare you. But seriously, it's allll subjective - they're one of my very favourite bands.

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 2:09 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
If I'm reading you right, I'd recommend Cemetary...but if you were thinking along those lines you would have mentioned Nightingale's Breathing Shadow part one, So I guess I'm not sure what yer' talkin' about.
Cemetary? Are they bordeling death metal with male and female vocals? Or is that Crematory I'm thinking of? As for The Breathing Shadow, no way. That's a great album, and Nightingale is a favorite of mine, but The Breathing Shadow is definitely more of a traditional gothic album, whereas the bands I'm talking about really aren't gothic at all, they're just labeled that.

HIM is probably the closest example of this style that everyone knows, or likely has heard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 2:11 pm

Smindas wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Smindas wrote:
Poopy? :O How dare you. But seriously, it's allll subjective - they're one of my very favourite bands.
Like many people, I first heard them on Bloody Kisses. I had both versions of that album and liked it, though I thought there were some turds on it. Then I bought the two before it. Holy crapfest! Haha. I hated those albums. Then I bought the next album (October Rust?) and was totally unimpressed. I didn't like any of it. So eventually I sold the albums I had. Nothing they've done since has impressed me at all.

I know a lot of people like them, though.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 5:27 pm

The 69 Eyes and HIM are pretty cool. Not super heavy, but worth checking out.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 7:08 pm

Eyesore wrote:
the bands I'm talking about really aren't gothic at all, they're just labeled that

I'll just have to check out HIM, because you've got my all confused to the point of distraction. scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 7:11 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
the bands I'm talking about really aren't gothic at all, they're just labeled that

I'll just have to check out HIM, because you've got my all confused to the point of distraction. scratch
Haha. There is a fine line between these styles, but it's defined. Have you heard any of the bands I listed in the first post? If you know their style, you'll hear the difference. You know what, how about latter day Paradise Lost? That's a good example of what I'm referring to, even though they play at a slightly faster pace.

And spirit, the 69 Eyes is a band I've been meaning to check out.

Last edited by on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 7:26 pm

Paradise Lost would be the first band I'd have mentioned, but I thought that was so obvious that if that had been what you were talking about you'd have mentioned it.
I listened to some (admittedly short) sample of HIM, and it's pretty good, but what I heard does remind me of Nightingale. But I don't hear much "metal". So I'll stick to the Cemetary recommendation, the Swedish band, who as with Paradise Lost got mellower and more "Gothic" as they aged.
Really though, I think you are just trolling to try and make my mind snap (LOL)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 7:55 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Paradise Lost would be the first band I'd have mentioned, but I thought that was so obvious that if that had been what you were talking about you'd have mentioned it.

I listened to some (admittedly short) sample of HIM, and it's pretty good, but what I heard does remind me of Nightingale. But I don't hear much "metal". So I'll stick to the Cemetary recommendation, the Swedish band, who as with Paradise Lost got mellower and more "Gothic" as they aged.
I'll check out Cemetary, then. I can't believe I didn't mention Paradise Lost. Haha. This would have all been so much easier.

Quote :
Really though, I think you are just trolling to try and make my mind snap (LOL)
lol!
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 8:07 pm

WEDDING PARTY is a good recommendation...

Also may I suggest AGENTS OF OBLIVION

might be more akin to stoner/doom but the gothic vibe is definitely there.

you may even actually dig FOUNTAIN OF TEARS, thatband features former members of BELIEVER and SACRAMENT and SARDONYX....BUT don't let that get your expectations too high....

they really aren't that hevy at all but are more gothic than metal..

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 8:47 pm

I didn't think Wedding Party was all that good, or the style I'm looking for. Agents Of Oblivion are definitely not, but they're damn cool! So good suggestion either way. Haha.

Screw Fountain of Tears! Haha. I paid for their debut with a money order (I was in Korea at the time) and I never received the CD. They were dicks about it, too. Most bands would be like, "No worries. We'll send another." These clowns were like, "Too bad, you're probably lying." Screw that!

They did sound good, though. Too bad they'll never get money from me again.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2007 9:01 pm

SAHB's Monday Night:

1. Gets all confused about what "Goth" means now. scratch
2. Eats 5 mg valium drunken
3. Puts on Abe Lincoln top hat and purple eyeshadow while listening to a couple of old Cure songs.
4. Sits on couch and weeps bitterly about being old and out of touch, while listening to Sisters of Mercy. Gets really cool purple tear streaks down face. Awesome! Sad
5. Reads old Martin Popov review in which he defines "Goth Metal" as "Early Rainbow and Malmsteen" (I can document this). This makes me feel much better for some reason.
6. Takes out Type-O CD. Realizes I never liked them except a couple of songs, so I frisbee the CD into the cornfield.
7. Listen to Paradise Lost, (Icon, Draconian, One Second).
8. Finally am recovered enough to enjoy my Cemetary "Sundown" and Decoryah "Wisdom Floats" CD's. Realize that I know that it IS goth and it IS metal. Decide Eyesore has made up some sort of narrow catagory of Neo-goth or something...he's the crazy one, not me.
9. Petition moderators to put the word Goth on the obscenity filter. silent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations   "Goth" Metal Band Recommendations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Goth" Metal Band Recommendations
Page 1 of 1