Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)

Go down 
+5
Witchfinder
James B.
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
Lari
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Empty
PostSubject: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2023 2:59 pm

Slayer's debut Show No Mercy was released in December 1983.

Something monumental was happening exactly 40 years ago. Let's talk some early Slayer.

40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) 81YaJ6WcWtL._UF1000,1000_QL80_

I find this a great direct continuation of the sort of NWOBHM style of angry speed metal that in 1983 transitioned into what we now call thrash metal. It didn't have the double kick drums, but it did have big riffs and even some slower heavy riffs. Evil lyrics by Jeff Hanneman, and also the speed and sound the band would later develop further.

A classic recording, it may be 'Slayer in their infancy' but it's a great bridge between the angrier NWOBHM (Venom anyone?) and early thrash metal. Tectonic plates were moving and the underground heavy metal scene was definitely shifting from Europe to US. Heavy speed metal was fading in the UK, but just starting up in the States.

I rank this quite high in their catalogue. Top 3 maybe even? It was a low budget Metal Blade release, but the sound is actually really good and fitting (at least compared to some of the UK NWOBHM bands that were around at the time), and I wouldn't change a thing.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2023 3:17 pm

I love the cover art too. Simple, but effective. A muscular minotaur with a 6 foot sword and a flame helmet, posing menacingly. And the now-classic Slayer sword logo.

I asked AI to recreate the album cover. This is what I got:

40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) 8-r75i10
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2023 3:49 pm

Not as iconic as Kill ‘Em All, but a very good debut.

The studio engineer had a problem recording Dave Lombardo’s drum cymbals, so he had to redo them (one at a time) and edit them back in the old way (no computers).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2023 5:12 pm

Classic album, though honestly I didn't come around to it till years after the fact. I was always aware of Slayer, of course, but for some reason they never quite "clicked" with me till Seasons in the Abyss came out in 1990. After that I back tracked and picked up the albums I'd missed. Nowadays Show No Mercy is one of my go-to's when I'm in a Slayer mood.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2023 5:40 pm

I went straight from late 80’s hair metal to thrash when I was a freshman in high school. For some reason I was afraid of Slayer at first. A kid told me to get the Live Undead cassette and I did (it didn’t do much for me). But when I finally heard Seasons in the Abyss shortly after, wow! Talk about kickass thrash! I haven’t been into everything they’ve done since then… but I still love the Seasons album. It’s in my top 10 favorite metal albums.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12762

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2023 12:07 am

I am probably one of the very few on this board that saw Slayer in the clubs around So. California. (Metallica too) and that first album is cool as hell (IMHDO) Slayer's gimmick got old quick and I looked elsewhere for that. I'll cop to missing out, but it has been fun going back recently and scoping out the tunes that mostly got ignored.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7631

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2023 9:35 am

This is my favorite Slayer album. I love the early "Slaytanic" stuff they were doing.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26445

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2023 11:09 am

This is in my top 3 of Slayer albums. I avoided the band in high school because of the evil imagery at first. Hell Awaits being the first Slayer I heard. I thought it was the heaviest thing ever. I got on board after that. While some of their latter releases didn't do as much for me I'm still a fan.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40544

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2023 11:21 am

I always avoided Slayer for the longest time as well. I didn't get into them until the mid 90s when a co-worker of mine had Seasons In The Abyss, and that really rocked. I slowly started collecting them over the years since. Not quite complete yet. It took me a long time to get Show No Mercy, having picked it up just a few years ago. Really good album, one of their top releases.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2023 4:28 pm

This is my favorite Slayer album and still gets regular spins! The Judas Priest influence really shines on this album. I'll be getting the 40th anniversary reissue on Saturday if its at the Metal Blade store yet. I may just go there today and check.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26445

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2023 7:31 pm

Lurideath wrote:
This is my favorite Slayer album and still gets regular spins! The Judas Priest influence really shines on this album. I'll be getting the 40th anniversary reissue on Saturday if its at the Metal Blade store yet. I may just go there today and check.

Definite Judas Priest influence on this album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2023 9:40 pm

It’s no secret Kerry King’s favorite band has always been Judas Priest.
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2024 6:48 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)   40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

40 years of showing no mercy (Slayer)
Page 1 of 1