Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sisters Of Mercy

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 2:24 am

I've just been digging the uber cool sounds of 80's UK bat cave scene so Bauhaus, Flesh For Lulu, Balaam And The Angel, Southern Death Cult, Love And Rockets have been getting big playtime and of course Sister's Of Mercy.

There's something about this band and their 3 different albums. Eldritch is no doubt one of rock n' rolls greatest enigmas. The bad guy to Ian Astbury's good guy persona of mid 80's UK death rock.

So the first record The First And Last Always is damn near impenetrable at times, and to me is the slow grower of their 3 records. Still it's a classic. Sister's Of Murky indeed.

The second album Floodlands is the bone fide classic. Cool, dark, slithering and hypnotic.

The third and amazingly last album Vision Thing is the big rock record. You could see Eldritch smelt hard rock dollars after seeing The Cult's successful transformation to heavy metal road warriors. Of course Eldritch didn't know how to make a sleazy heavy metal album so he enlisted 80's flash punk hero Tony James who was fresh from his work with the best musical joke ever played with Sigue Sigue Sputnik. The album is my fav obviously, cool with slashing sleaze metal guitars throughout.

And then that was it, a couple of singles in the early 90's but no new album. Sister's Of Mercy is still going or more accurately Andrew Eldritch and whoever he has in the band. I wonder if Eldritch will ever release a new record.

This Corrosion promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boinZ5BIlkw

Last edited by rattpoison on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 5:47 am

I love The Sisters. I discovered them with the single edit of This Corrosion. Years later I picked up A Slight Case Of Overbombing which led me to buy everything they've released. BTW, are you aware that the song "More" is a Jim "Bat Out Of Hell" Steinman composition?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 6:25 am

Jim Steinman produced Floodlands.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 8:26 am

This is the band that started me into the whole goth music thing. From Sisters I went to Rosetta Stone then Type O Negative then To/Die/For then HIM, etc. etc.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 5:09 pm

Love SISTERS....and loads of other "goth"

CORPUS DELECTI
ADVENT SLEEP
BIG ELECTRIC CAT

I could go on for days......

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 7:32 pm

I've always felt they were THE prototype for gothic metal; starting with their influence on Paradise Lost's development through the 90's.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 1:22 am

Any other resident's of the Reptile House?

Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:14 pm

Manny....i know your out there.

Throw a word the way of the Sisters.

Last edited by rattpoison on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:21 pm

Sisters of Mercy.

Sister's (apostrophe s) would be used if the Mercy were possessed by someone referred to as "sister".

Kinda like Twisted Sister's Dee Snider. But 2 crazy sisters may be referred to as "twisted sisters".

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Ah thanks for the help.

I don't know where i got that habit from.

Remedied.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:28 pm

Sisters of Mercy unsung influence on goth/industrial/ and metal. Sister of Mercy were dark as midnight but also knew their way around a killer melody. ' Vision Thing" where Eldritch blasts the first Bush administation, what other alternative rock band would have the balls to have Jim Steiman produce one of their albums?

If Sisters of Mercy had their debut album released in 1990, they would have been a huge band on the scale of Nine Inch Nails who owe alot to the Sisters.

Great tunes "This Corrosion" "Lucretia My Reflection" and I could go on, Andrew Eldritch is what Iggy Pop would be if he had come blown back as a goth.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 9:54 am

The Maryslim disc I got this week ends with a cover of This Corrosion featuring Jyrki69 of 69 Eyes on vox. Pretty cool.

Speaking of which, The 69 Eyes sound a LOT like Sisters but their lyrics are more humorous.

Sisters Of Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy   Sisters Of Mercy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sisters Of Mercy
Page 1 of 1