Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?

Go down 
+8
Lari
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Troublezone
joer6571
metalinmyveins
James B.
12 posters
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Empty
PostSubject: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 11:44 am

Mine was "Toys In The Attic" by Aerosmith.

I found the receipt in the jacket the other day, dated June 23rd, 1975.

All my albums up to then had been gifts or kick downs from siblings and/or the people they were screwing at the time.

What was yours?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39652

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 11:49 am

First album was I believe the '78 Ace Frehley solo album.

First CD was KISS' (Music From) The Elder. Didn't even have a player at the time, was waiting to get it out of layaway (and I still have that stereo).
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 11:53 am

007 wrote:
(and I still have that stereo).

awesome

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 11:56 am

007 wrote:
First album was I believe the '78 Ace Frehley solo album..

That was the only one I bought new at release time.
A buddy had Paul's and we would do that come over with an album and a doobie thing, and kick back.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 1:36 pm

Maybe KISS Alive! in 1984. I had a few gifted albums the prior year as an 12-year-old. Def Leppard "Pyromania", Motley Crue "Shout at the Devil" and Ozzy Osbourne "Bark at the Moon." Even though I had an afternoon paper route at 13, I just didn't have the funds for much of anything. I think I remember my mother starting a savings account for me back then, where I had to put half of my money from the route in savings, but I couldn't tell you what the hell I did with the other bit of cash? I really didn't start buying albums at a quicker rate until I was 16 in 1987.
Back to top Go down
joer6571
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 3:10 pm

I'm pretty sure it was Twisted Sister "Stay Hungry" and I haven't looked back since Smile

Joe
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 4:43 pm

Almost impossible to remember…

I’m certain I didn’t start buying my own cassette tapes until I started high school. My guess would be either Metallica’s …And Justice for All, or something from Iron Maiden like Live After Death. I could be wrong, but I did have those early on when I visited the Music-Plus store almost every day walking home from school.

And when you say “my own money”, it was probably some kind of allowance or saved up lunch money.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 4:48 pm

It’s amazing your receipt was still intact in your jacket pocket. You must have rarely washed it for that to happen.

That receipt is older than I am. Razz
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 5:29 pm

Def Leppard - Hysteria
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 5:51 pm

Pretty sure it was Motley Crue's Shout At The Devil, on cassette.

If memory serves, I bought it at K-Mart. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed May 17, 2023 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 7:04 pm

Three CD's, Christmas money 1994.

Megadeth - Youthanasia
Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark
Metallica - Metallica
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeWed May 17, 2023 10:28 pm

Troublezone wrote:
It’s amazing your receipt was still intact in your jacket pocket. You must have rarely washed it for that to happen.

Laughing very hard

The "jacket" is actually the cardboard square. Usually with artwork on one side and song titles on the other. Then there was a round piece of vinyl. Usually in a paper sleeve that slid into an opening on the side of the "jacket".

Sorry TZ, no pocket Laughing very hard

The receipt was from Groove Time Records on Baseline in Berdoo. Paid $5.75 for it.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeThu May 18, 2023 2:41 am

James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Laughing very hard

The "jacket" is actually the cardboard square. Usually with artwork on one side and song titles on the other. Then there was a round piece of vinyl. Usually in a paper sleeve that slid into an opening on the side of the "jacket".

Sorry TZ, no pocket Laughing very hard

The receipt was from Groove Time Records on Baseline in Berdoo. Paid $5.75 for it.

Yeah, but you do realize some words have more than one meaning. It could have been a “clothing” jacket (I guess I assumed you bought a 8-track). Smile

I never bought vinyl, so I’m not too familiar with the lingo.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu May 18, 2023 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeThu May 18, 2023 2:50 am

Technically, the jacket or sleeve is a paper “pocket”. Razz
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeSat May 20, 2023 10:55 am

KISS Love Gun . I had used birthday money to get it.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeSun May 21, 2023 9:42 am

Ratt: Ratt N Roll 8191
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeTue May 23, 2023 12:22 pm

I remember being driven to the store….maybe by my older sister.
I bought “ No Sleep Till Hammersmith “
Saw the album cover. Saw it was a concert. Figured it was wild.
Saw the song titles. Took the chance. Lol.
I just couldn’t stomach KISS anymore….whatever years it was.
KISS sucked !
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2023 11:16 am

The first hard rock album I bought was a Ratt Invasion of your Privacy off of some kid in high school my freshman year. At a regular store it probably was Loudness Thunder in the East, both on cassette. I still have that tape, 38 years later.  What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? 1f60a
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?   What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What was the first "hard rock/metal" album bought with your own $?
Page 1 of 1