Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal - One Hit Wonders

Go down 
+4
Lari
Troublezone
Wrecked Neck
scottmitchell74
8 posters
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Metal - One Hit Wonders Empty
PostSubject: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2021 10:38 pm

Pop music is full of one-hit-wonders. I wanted to make a list of my one (or two) hit wonders, Metal Edition. Bands that for whatever reason didn't really speak to me, except for this one (or two) songs where they achieved magick.

Winterlong - Nosferatu - An absolute power metal masterpiece. It romps along so fast and melodically, and the vocalist really brings a vampyre-like growl to the vocals. One of my oldest daughter's favorites as well.

Balance of Power - Shelter Me - A great, emotional, soulful metal ballad.

Children of Bodom - Bodom After Midnight - Now I might not have heard enough from them, but what I have heard doesn't hit nearly like this one song does.

Degreed - Better Safe Than Sorry - They are...good songwriters. But on this one they just hit a home run. It's so catchy I can't stop listening to it.

The Poodles - Seven Seas
- Somehow I think @Tohostudios turned me on to this song. This one song is incredible. So catchy. Great vocals. The rest of their music, so-so.

Insomnium - While We Sleep - I LOVE this one song, but the rest of their stuff, while very good, just doesn't do "it" for me. That's left to the unbeatable Shylmagoghnar, who can do no wrong. But they nailed this one, at least.

Orphaned Land - All Is One - Me and my daughter saw them open for Tyr, and they were great in concert. Great! And this one song sums them up in one great tune. The rest of their discography is too progressive, experimental or middle-eastern. I like middle-eastern IN MY metal, not the main focus.

Revis - Caught In The Rain - Holy post-grunge, batman. This song gets stuck in my head and stays there for days. I love, love, love this one tune from them.

Astral Doors - Bride of Christ/Cloudbreaker - Two-hit wonder! Cloudbreaker got me into this band with its Dio Worship power metal romp. And Bride of Christ is its sister song on the second album. On the strength of these two songs I kept buying album after album until I finally realized I didn't like the rest of their slower tunes. Nils Patrik Johansson is incredible in one of my all-time favorite bands: Wuthering Heights, who can't seem to write a bad song.

Axel Rudi Pell - Nasty Reputation - I've tried and tried to get into ARP, who is great at playing, but it took Rob Rock to make it click, and really only this one time.

Default - Wasting My Time - I know I'm not alone here. This song is...incredible. To be honest, I don't know much about the rest of their stuff, but if it was this good I imagine it would have also hit the airwaves.

Savatage - Morning Sun - Now I know I'm in trouble here, as this is some people's all-time favorite. i don't get it. I hear the talent, but this is really the only song of theirs I ADORE, although I do like Hall of the Mountain King. Savatage is almost like 2-3 different bands over time.

Ethereal Scourge - Death to Hades - I owned this whole album once from Australian Christian Death Metalers, and I wanted to like the whole thing but it was...meh. But this song? Beautiful. It's the only way I can describe it. Every time I hear it. It's the bass-line with the vocals and those symbols behind it all. Beautiful.

Breaking Benjamin - Polyamorous - My daughter has broader taste than I do and says I'm missing a whole bunch from them, but this insanely catchy tune is the only one I like.

Ra - Do You Call My Name - Lightening in a bottle! I can't even think of another song. Do they have any more? But this one was enough.

B.O.C. - Godzilla - I know, more blasphemy. The entire rest of their catalogue does very little or nothing for me.

Down - Stone the Crow - Maybe they have more like this that I'm not aware of? The problem is, I'm not aware of it. This one is so dirty-good, though. Wish they had more.

Drowning Pool - Bodies - Total guilty pleasure. Such a mindless song, but it gets me every time 20 years later. They are coming to Abilene with Hed P.E. in September and my daughters are going. Not sure if I care to.

There might be a few others, but those are the ones I could think of right now.

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 12:39 am

Only one I can think of for me would be a band called Jesters of Destiny. They have a song on one of the metal massacre albums, I think number five. I have it in a box, can't remember for sure lol Anyways, it's one of my favorite songs on the album, but I never got around to finding their album it's off of, called Fun at the Funeral. The song they put on metal massacre is called End of Time, and I still think it's a kick ass tune. About five years ago, I hunted down a copy of their album on discogs. Thank god I got it cheap, because it's by far one of the worse albums I own. My wife couldn't even believe how bad it was. I plan on listening to it again one day, to see if it's as bad as I remember, but I probably won't make it all the way thru. That album was a major letdown. I had it built up in my head that it was going to be one of those hidden gems. It should remain hidden for eternity, but a gem it will never be.

Anyways, this us the one good song they recorded...

scottmitchell74 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 1:59 am

Hair Metal count?

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 6:33 am

Savatage?! Really? I am going to have to ask you to hand in your Metal Warrior badge.

That's a strange choice of song, too. There are better ones on Magellan, like The Hourglass or Anymore.

And I thought the "hit" song on Bodom's Follow the Reaper was Everytime I Die. Alexi Laiho called it their ballad LOL

Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 7:33 am

Lari wrote:
Savatage?! Really? I am going to have to ask you to hand in your Metal Warrior badge.

That's a strange choice of song, too. There are better ones on Magellan, like The Hourglass or Anymore.

And I thought the "hit" song on Bodom's Follow the Reaper was Everytime I Die. Alexi Laiho called it their ballad LOL

Yeah, I knew the Savatage one would ruffle feathers.  I find them...boring. 😬

Decent COB song, but not killing it for me.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 7:42 am

Troublezone wrote:
Hair Metal count?

You sure it's not the Daisy Dukes talking? 😁

Heck yeah Hair Metal counts! And that is a pretty darn good song. Good call!

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 9:54 am

Speaking for myself, I bought a lot of metal….as a teen……for one song.
I think of Balls to The Wall…….Rock You Like a Hurricane….Rock You Helix.
I still have bought many CDs for one major electrical song. Lol. For sure.
Of course the great thing for me is listening for that 2nd song I’ll like.
Some of these bands only have 2-3 songs.
I was listening to Spiders Lullaby by KD last night……. Liked 7 out of 10.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 10:01 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Lari wrote:

I guess I like boring music because Savatage is my favourite band.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 12:20 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Lari wrote:

Decent COB song,  but not killing it for me.

This is one of my favourite COB songs headbanger headbanger.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 12:58 pm

How about this one ?

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 9:14 pm

Oh Scotty, that Ethereal Scourge album is pure, brilliant death metal glory. Warcry is a monster song.

scottmitchell74 and Louder like this post

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 11:24 pm

I think Quiet Riot falls into that category. They had two big hits, but one was a cover tune, so technically they are a one hit wonder in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 11:51 pm

007 wrote:
How about this one ?

It's one of those bands that i am not familiar with. Need to sample some of their songs.

This one is quite enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 9:47 pm

Lari wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:
Lari wrote:

I guess I like boring music because Savatage is my favourite band.

I know dude. I've tried getting into them 4-5 times over the years, but they never click.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal - One Hit Wonders   Metal - One Hit Wonders Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal - One Hit Wonders
Page 1 of 1