Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer

Go down 
+21
Fat Freddy
spiritoradio
Getizzyback
the sentinel
SAHB Healer
James B.
jstate
Olafsto
Shiney
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
Neuropete
manny
Troublezone
GrandNational
rattpoison
Metallic Blaze
Sutekh
Required Fields
Orion Crystal Ice
Schbopo
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Empty
PostSubject: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:06 pm

The Georgia Satellites thread reminded me of this. There are so many great bands dubbed "one hit wonders", and a good load of them had a lot more great songs and should really be remembered further. Few off the top of my head:

Iron Butterfly (everything, and I mean EVERYTHING they did was an acid rock masterpiece IMO)
Devo (they've done everything from alternative punk to new wave to straight up rock n' roll)
Wild Cherry
Crash Test Dummies

got any more?
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:49 pm

yeah, it's too bad people know Devo for the couple of singles, they were about something way wackier and cooler.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 10:54 pm

I live in Canada, and the aforementioned Crash Test Dummies actually had a handful of hits in Canada.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 12:41 am

On another board, I was surprised to see that Madness were considered 'one hit wonders' in the US, as they had a number of hits in their UK homeland and at least five big hits here in Australia.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 1:06 am

When in Rome

A-Ha
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am

Free........
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 3:35 am

Jimi Hendrix was actually a one hit wonder. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 8:19 am

Men Without Hats
A-Ha
Linday Buckingham (solo)
Men at Work
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 8:53 am

TZ I think Men at Work had a few hit singles, 'Who Can it Be Now' 'Down Under' and 'Its a Mistake', I am sure I have the song titles all wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 8:56 am

manny wrote:
TZ I think Men at Work had a few hit singles, 'Who Can it Be Now' 'Down Under' and 'Its a Mistake', I am sure I have the song titles all wrong.

Don't forget my favorite...."Overkill"....one of the most beautiful songs ever...

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 am

manny wrote:

I guess you're right... i forgot those.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 9:01 am

BTW when we are talking about One Hit Wonders are talking about singles or albums? If we are talking singles you could add hundreds of platinum acts (such as Hendrix as someone pointed out)?
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 11:45 am

Boy, I am agreeing with alot of stuff here. Definitely Devo and Madness are both bands that had alot of of great songs. I would add to the list Crowded House. They were one hit wonders here, but were revered in Australia and New Zealand. I actually have all their albums, and everyone is top notch. Modern English is another band that is know for one hit, but "After the Snow" is one of my favorite albums of the 80's. The same is true of "Big Country". The entire album is a classic.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 11:49 am

Tesla and WASP. Allow me to explain.

To the pop radio mainstream, both band are pretty much known for 1 hit. Tesla's cover of 'Signs' and WASP's 'Animal', which was more steeped in controvery than being a hit. Sure, we the all-knowing music geeks, know both of these bands have so much more to offer, but to the regular folks out there, these guys are one-hit wonders.

I'd add Great White to that list too. Sadly for them, they are known now for the night club tragedy moreso than their one radio hit, 'Once Bitten...', but we know better.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 11:51 am

How about April Wine?

A lot of people only know about "Just Between You And Me" but they have a ton of great songs.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 11:51 am

Donnie Iris. He's about a lot more than Ah Leah.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 12:03 pm

WALL OF VOODOO.....more than "Mexican Radio" both the band and Stan RIdgeway have alot of cool tunes to offer.

THE CHURCH..."Under The Milky Way" is their main well known ditty...great band.."Starfish" is a killer album.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 12:06 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Are you sure that was a hit? Never heard of him or the song. 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer 685534 Can you hum a few notes for me?

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 12:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Are you sure that was a hit? Never heard of him or the song. 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer 685534 Can you hum a few notes for me?

You never heard this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH5Arbm47IQ

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 12:33 pm

tohostudios wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

You never heard this?

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH5Arbm47IQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH5Arbm47IQ[/quote[/url]]

Nope, can't say that I have. The video looks like an early MTV staple though. Is that Donnie Iris in the Buddy Holly get-up?

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Good call on Donnie Iris.
Anyone remember The Kings? Switchin to Glide was their one hit but I actually liked some other songs and they were similar to Donnie Iris.
Big Country is pretty much known for the song, In A Big Country.
Simple Minds
The Knack-and they deserve it.
Lou Gramm's solo outings.
Honeymoon Suite
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 1:08 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Good call on Donnie Iris.
Anyone remember The Kings? Switchin to Glide was their one hit but I actually liked some other songs and they were similar to Donnie Iris.
Big Country is pretty much known for the song, In A Big Country.
Simple Minds
The Knack-and they deserve it.
Lou Gramm's solo outings.
Honeymoon Suite

Switchin' To Glide was an FM rock radio staple when I lived in TN. They played it every Tuesday at 5pm because of the line "Nothin' matters but the weekend from a Tuesday point of view."

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 1:09 pm

[quote="MetalGuy71"]
tohostudios wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

You never heard this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH5Arbm47IQ[/quote]

Nope, can't say that I have. The video looks like an early MTV staple though. Is that Donnie Iris in the Buddy Holly get-up?

Yeah, that's Donnie. Those glasses were part of his schtick. He was in Wild Cherry briefly before going solo.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 3:03 pm

The Grateful Dead were essentially a one hit wonder as well. Most people have heard about them, but would probably only be able to hum "Touch of Gray".
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 4:05 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Simple Minds

Really? They had a number of hits in Australia. Neuropete also mentioned Crowded House, who I think only had the one US hit (Don't Dream it's Over), but were absolutely huge (every track off their best of was a single, and virtually all of them went top 10), and were amazing songwriters and players.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer   'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'One Hit Wonders' who had more to offer
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next