Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"I Want Candy"

Go down 
+2
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2020 7:06 pm

Without looking it up, who else here thought the song "I Want Candy" was first recorded by Bow Wow Wow?

Well I found out tonight it wasn't.  It was some band called "The Strangeloves" in 1965. 

Here's the version I've always known:

Recorded some 20 years later during the heyday of Adam Ant I always figured Bow Wow Wow was mimicking that sound, I had no idea it was a cover until tonight.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2020 9:26 pm

Great. Now that damn song is gonna be stuck in my head all friggin' night. Thanks a lot, Toho!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2020 9:58 pm

Bo Diddley.. He said he wrote every rock song ever..

Last edited by assault_attack on Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2020 10:00 pm

Laughing very hard

And of course I got that tidbit from one of those clickbait articles.  This one was called "The 50 Most Annoying Songs of All Time". 

lol!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2020 10:02 pm

assault_attack wrote:
Bo Diddley.. He said he wrote every rock song ever..

It does sound like a Bo Diddley song because as George Thorogood wrote it's "...good time music with that Bo Diddley beat".  But after finding this tidbit I dug around a little bit and it looks like that Strangelove band wrote this one.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2020 6:28 am

When my son was a little kid he thought it was "I Want Pringles".

I used to say "I Want Candy" when the commercial came on and he would always correct me "No dad it's Pringles!". I would always say "No, it's candy!" without ever mentioning it was a real song.

A few years later he heard the real song and then said "Dad, you were right, it IS I Want Candy!". I said "Yep. Always listen to your dad!"
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2020 8:17 am

I knew it was a cover but never looked into who did it originally I like Bow Wow Wow's version and their other manufactured punk tunes.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2020 8:17 am

I knew it was a cover but never looked into who did it originally I like Bow Wow Wow's version and their other manufactured punk tunes.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2020 10:13 am

Knew it was from the 60's when Bark Ruff Ruff covered it. Then like now, didn't know who it was.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2020 10:25 am

Bow Wow Wow was another one of Malcolm (Sex Pistols) McLaren's pre-packaged bands, if memory serves.

I remember reading somewhere that they caused a bit of controversy back in the day cuz the girl singer was nude (or at least semi-nude) on an album/single cover, despite being only 14 at the time Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2020 10:31 am

By the way, my favorite version of "I Want Candy" is part of this medley:

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2020 6:31 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Bow Wow Wow was another one of Malcolm (Sex Pistols) McLaren's pre-packaged bands, if memory serves.

I remember reading somewhere that they caused a bit of controversy back in the day cuz the girl singer was nude (or at least semi-nude) on an album/single cover, despite being only 14 at the time Laughing very hard

Yep!  That's what I remember too.  I used to have that album on vinyl (no, not because of the cover you pervs!) because I liked the sound of that song just like I had multiple Adam Ant albums at the time.  To me the sound was the same except one band had a guy singer and one had a girl. 

If I remember right the cover of the BWW album was just the girl lolling around in sand.  I didn't find it particularly "titillating" (no pun intended) but I did like the "tribal" sound of that song and some of Adam Ant's stuff.  Unfortunately as I remember it I hated the rest of that BWW album and I recently spun some Adam Ant on Youtube and I thought "Geez, that crap sucks."

EDIT:  OK, either I'm confusing the album cover I remember or I had a different one than the only one I can find on the internet.

"I Want Candy" I-Want-Candy

Either way, in 2020 does that cover even cause anyone to bat an eye?

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2020 7:03 pm

I didn't know this bit until I went looking for the album cover I thought I remembered. 

Quote :
Bow Wow Wow are an English new wave band, created by manager Malcolm McLaren in 1980. McLaren recruited members of Adam and the Ants to form the band behind 13-year-old Annabella Lwin on vocals.
No wonder I thought they sounded like Adam and the Ants!

"I Want Candy" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "I Want Candy"   "I Want Candy" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"I Want Candy"
Page 1 of 1