Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"

Go down 
+15
Wrecked Neck
manny
Thrasher73
Witchfinder
mikeinfla
Gilbert
nevermore
mc666
Troublezone
exact33
glassprison
Glower
James B.
Fat Freddy
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17147

New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2020 4:57 pm

This is the best AC/DC album in decades! If this were to be the last one, it’s a great way to end it.

Of coarse I do hope they continue.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2020 5:06 pm

No luck. No one has physical copies but Walmart had one LP. He did say check back tomorrow. 4 stores and no dice for me.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 6:06 am

So last night I went back to Walmart #1 (since it is closest to my home) and i decided I would try once more. Still no difference - the only CD's they had were an end-cap of Christmas CD's, nothing else. Not even $5 hit CD's like they used to have. they actually have more LP records than they do CD's now and most of those were Christmas records. So I saw a guy working and asked him. he went to the back and he found a copy! So i got it for 9.99 on CD. If I had been out of luck I was going to go home and buy it from iTunes. One walmart had a vinyl copy and I found it by mistake - it wasn't on the shelves, it was on a cart in an LP mailer that was opened. So I took a peek and saw it but it was 36 bucks. I don't buy as much vinyl as I used to (running out of room) so I passed on it (no cd copies at that Walmart either and the only CD's were again Christmas CD's).

Last edited by mikeinfla on Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 6:31 am

Maybe 5 years ago, places like Walmart and Target would have popular bands like AC/DC stocked and displayed nicely. I remember Walmart actually had that big collaboration setup for the Black Ice album (although that was several years back). They should realize that there are still CD people out there and at least have them available for the first 2 weeks of release.

mikeinfla likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9938

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 7:19 am

Troublezone wrote:
Maybe 5 years ago, places like Walmart and Target would have popular bands like AC/DC stocked and displayed nicely. I remember Walmart actually had that big collaboration setup for the Black Ice album (although that was several years back). They should realize that there are still CD people out there and at least have them available for the first 2 weeks of release.

That's really sad. I miss the days back when we used to hit a record store and pick up our favourite band's album on release date.

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 7:39 am

Gilbert wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

That's really sad. I miss the days back when we used to hit a record store and pick up our favourite band's album on release date.

I just saw something about Tower records making a comeback. Not sure if you are familiar with them, but they were pretty big here in California. I assume it will be an online operation.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 7:42 am

Yep, Tower records is back online! But of coarse it’s mostly vinyl.

https://towerrecords.com/

I still miss the physical stores...
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 8:27 am

Never been to the US but i am familiar with Tower Records. When my brother went to Japan, he got me lots of cds from there. Lots of great japanese pressings.

My dream is to go shop there.

With the Covid-19 pandemic, online shopping helps. I now totally rely on it in staying up to date with the latest releases.

And yes, i miss physical stores. It is going to be a while before I go back to Europe and shop there.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 12:11 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Yeah, I remember that. they had tons and TONS of copies of Black Ice with the different covers and the one that was like a book. Plus tons of AC/DC t-shirts on display, it was quite impressive for Walmart (they did something similar for Kiss Sonic Boom with the displays and Kiss shirts). This time tho - nothing. I was actually surprised they only had Christmas CD's. What's gonna happen after Christmas?? Probably will have nothing. My Target didn't have PWR UP either. Same there, mostly Christmas CD's and even less records than Walmart. Our mall is gone so FYE isn't even an option anymore. They are supposed to tear down the mall but leave the anchors - JC Penney, Dillard's and maybe the empty Sears. Rumor has been Amazon wants that Sears space for a warehouse but I bet they end of tearing it down because I have driven by and it still has Hurricane damage and it is probably in pretty bad shape. Anyway, they want to leave the anchors there and build apartments around them and I think that is just dumb. At least build some other stores so (hopefully) some of the mall stores can come back.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 3:32 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Yeah, I remember that. they had tons and TONS of copies of Black Ice with the different covers and the one that was like a book. Plus tons of AC/DC t-shirts on display, it was quite impressive for Walmart (they did something similar for Kiss Sonic Boom with the displays and Kiss shirts). This time tho - nothing. I was actually surprised they only had Christmas CD's. What's gonna happen after Christmas?? Probably will have nothing. My Target didn't have PWR UP either. Same there, mostly Christmas CD's and even less records than Walmart. Our mall is gone so FYE isn't even an option anymore. They are supposed to tear down the mall but leave the anchors - JC Penney, Dillard's and maybe the empty Sears. Rumor has been Amazon wants that Sears space for a warehouse but I bet they end of tearing it down because I have driven by and it still has Hurricane damage and it is probably in pretty bad shape. Anyway, they want to leave the anchors there and build apartments around them and I think that is just dumb. At least build some other stores so (hopefully) some of the mall stores can come back.

I also remember the Kiss Sonic Boom displays. They knew those kinds of bands are big sellers with the nostalgia people.

I thought JC Penney was on their way out like Sears? They are one of the perceived dinosaur relics from the past that the developers want to phase out for the hipster shopping centers with restaurants and luxury apartments.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26433

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 4:00 pm

I didn't see AC/DC at Walmart here either. But I did find a copy at Target. It's really good!!
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 4:01 pm

I dunno, we have 2 JCP stores here, one in town (at the old mall) and one on the beach and they seem to do pretty good. I heard they just emerged from bankruptcy but who knows. They will probably end up like Kmart/Sears. Back when I was a kid my go-to place for new music was KMart. Would always get new stuff the day of release cheap. I also remember buying Rush "Grace" at Sears on cassette. Those days are long gone.

Many times when I cant find a new release I just get it from iTunes (Firepower was the last one I could not find locally).
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 7:06 pm

I just discovered the whole album is available for me to listen to free on Amazon Prime Music so I'm listening now before I buy it.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 7:24 pm

I know for sure that I’m getting it when I see it. Can’t go wrong with Angus and the classic lineup! He’s such a tasteful guitarist. He’s mega famous, but I’m not sure people truly realize his worth.

Also, Brian Johnson sounds like a new man! (Thanks to the ear device). His vocals are the best he’s done since The Razors Edge. Malcolm is missed, but Stevie does a great job too.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 8:05 pm

I got about halfway through it before I had to kill it so I could hear PBC on Fox 1  

Sounds good to me but as I've said before I'm a sucker for the AC/DC style of songwriting.  Something about their sound just resonates with me like very few bands do. People always say it's "blues-based hard rock" but I don't hear that. To me it sounds more like a hard rock version of The Ramones; three chords and out but slower so that a song lasts 3 minutes instead of a minute and a half.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 8:08 pm

Easily one of their best in years. I heard it all and it got me instantly hooked. Brian sounds great headbanger.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 5:13 am

if you want it on vinyl, check Walmart. I saw it there and someone told me they got it there for $15 on sale. Not a bad deal for a vinyl copy. I paid 9.99 for a jewel case CD.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37865

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 7:16 pm

Got the CD at Wal-Mart today. Haven't had time to listen to it all the way thru but what I've heard so far sounds solid.

Not gonna lie, I teared up a little when I opened the CD and saw the "THIS ONE IS FOR MAL" dedication on the back cover of the booklet.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 9:20 pm

Got the album yesterday, and thou I yet to spin the entire album, its classic AC/DC
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37865

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 10:01 pm

I've been listening to Power Up all day so naturally I banged out a quick review of it for my blog:

https://hubpages.com/entertainment/ACDC-Power-Up-Again

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Lari and mikeinfla like this post

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2020 11:33 pm

Great review!

Fat Freddy, mikeinfla and Glower like this post

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2020 7:31 am

Classic AC/DC, their best album in years
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6375

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2020 1:12 pm

I listened to "Realize" today.

Didn't make me want to buy the CD.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2020 6:49 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Great review!

Yeah, good review FF! I didn't realize these songs were culled from leftover riffs; it's like a "found footage" album.

I still haven't bought it but I've listened to 2/3 of it and I'm sure I will - probably the download version.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2020 1:03 am

I am definitely ordering this on cd. But since the lockdown has been reinstated, the post office has been very slow in delivering my orders. I have three Amazon orders that haven't reached me yet.

So I will wait a bit until i have receiced those, before submitting any new ones.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"   New AC/DC album -- "Power Up" - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New AC/DC album -- "Power Up"
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next