Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the infamous classic album-dud album combo

Go down 
+15
krokus
MetalGuy71
Selvmord
stepcousin
mc666
XYZ
the sentinel
skullkrusher
powermacho
rattpoison
Lurideath
Fat Freddy
stormspell
Tall Tyrion
tohostudios
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

the infamous classic album-dud album combo Empty
PostSubject: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 5:43 pm

We all know what I'm talking about. So many artists have released classics, or a number of classics, followed by a relatively crappy album, or a number of.......you get my drift.

What would you say is the most drastic classic-to-dud shift? And keep in mind: it doesn't mean you don't have to like the album. Is it an album that is commonly referred to as a dud?

My choice:

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti to Presence

Although Graffiti is my fav Zeppelin album by a long-shot, I also love Presence. However, a lot of people don't. It seems to me that my parents' generation (who grew up listening to Zeppelin) consider this album to be the cut-off. I've heard people even say Zepp IV was the last great album.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 5:48 pm

Black Crowes - Shake Your Moneymaker to Southern Harmony and Musical Companion

Boston - S/T to Don't Look Back

Bloodbound - Nosferatu to Book Of The Dead

Epica - Consign To Oblivion to The Divine Conspiracy

...and the most personally painful one...

Therion - Lemuria/Sirius B to The Gothic Turd

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 5:54 pm

Metallica - And Justice For All ---> Black album OR Black Album ---> Load depending on who you talk to.

Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith ----> Turbo

Savatage - Power of The Night ----> Fight For The Rock
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 6:06 pm

First that comes to mind

Iron Maiden "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" followed by the hideous "No Prayer for the Dying."
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:25 pm

CORONER - Mental Vortex / Grin

FORBIDDEN - Twisted Into Form / Distortion (and Green too)

CRIMSON GLORY - Transcendence / Strange and Dreadful

IRON MAIDEN and JUDAS PRIEST when they were with alternate vocalists

P.S. almost forgot

NIGHTWISH - Once / Dark Passive Play
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 7:44 pm

Dokken - DYSFUNCTIONAL to SHADOWLIFE

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 8:34 pm

decapitate wrote:
First that comes to mind

Iron Maiden "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" followed by the hideous "No Prayer for the Dying."

I agree!!
Also...

Black Sabbath from Cross Purposes to Forbidden.
Slayer from South of Heaven to Seasons in the Abyss
Testament from Low to Demonic

Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 8:55 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Black Crowes - Shake Your Moneymaker to Southern Harmony and Musical Companion

You are joking right!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 8:57 pm

Nope. I loved Moneymaker then that weed-inspired retro crap on SHMC came out and I went, "WTF"?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 9:02 pm

Weed inspired! Everythings weed inspired when it comes to 'Rotten Twins'.

But really retro crap! Moneymaker as good as it was, was basically a Faces tribute. Almost as much as A Bit Of What You Fancy.

But they really came into their own with Southern Harmony, diverse, historically reverant and broke the mold of the simple Faces/Stones derivative. Theres more soul as well which is a big plus.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 9:05 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Weed inspired! Everythings weed inspired when it comes to 'Rotten Twins'.

But really retro crap! Moneymaker as good as it was, was basically a Faces tribute. Almost as much as A Bit Of What You Fancy.

But they really came into their own with Southern Harmony, diverse, historically reverant and broke the mold of the simple Faces/Stones derivative. Theres more soul as well which is a big plus.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Southern Harmony drove me waaaaaay far away from this band until I took a chance on "By Your Side" which I considered somewhat of a return to form. So I took a chance on "Lions". Ooops, back to the retro crap. I give up on this band.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 9:13 pm

I just thought it was strange, most people love their first 3 records and then usually dump on them when they went in that bare foot Deadhead hippy jam band period.

But you are an exception which is cool, i still think you need to revisit it when it has songs like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GTRqG62Q_E on it.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 9:15 pm

Manowar - Battle Hymns (TO)
Manowar - Into the Glory Ride

Accept - Russian Roulette (TO) Accept - Eat the Heat

Last edited by powermacho on Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 9:17 pm

I got one for ya's

The Cult - Electric to Sonic Temple
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 9:19 pm

That song just typifies what drove me away. The keys are way too prominent in the mix and the overall melody just isn't memorable enough. To me, it sounds like Grateful Dead with more guitars. And that ain't good...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 9:21 pm

rattpoison wrote:
I got one for ya's

Hmmm, that one almost qualifies. Sonic Temple was a big letdown after electric.

However, if we're going to pick on The Cult, I think the dropoff from Beyond Good And Evil to Born Into This is worse.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 10:08 pm

That's whats great about it the keys. Grateful Dead? I don't think so. Sounds like a great hard rock n' soul song.

I think the drop off is between the S/T (1994) great album almost their best to Beyond Good And Evil although their was what like 7 years between that one.
Beyond Good And Evil is too cold, industrial toned and has too much heavy metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 10:09 pm

tohostudios wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
I got one for ya's

Hmmm, that one almost qualifies. Sonic Temple was a big letdown after electric.

However, if we're going to pick on The Cult, I think the dropoff from Beyond Good And Evil to Born Into This is worse.

Oh, come on guys! The new album is cool.

If we're gonna go after the Cult, I'd go with Temple to Ceremony, or Ceremony to the Cult (which is horrible).
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 10:13 pm

Oh no you didn't Firehouse.

The Cult S/T (1994) is one of their top 3 records after Love and Electric.

Temple was bad and Ceremony was worse. Which would be Dud to Dudder. But this is classic to dud. And Temple ain't no classic.

The new album is a shadow of the Cult. A pale tribute to themselves.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Waitaminnit, waitaminnit... Sonic Temple is BAD? Are y'all on crack??

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 10:30 pm

It is FF, Sonic Temple is a big fat drunken bloated pile of rubbish. With only 3 songs that are any good.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 10:32 pm

rattpoison wrote:
It is FF, Sonic Temple is a big fat drunken bloated pile of rubbish. With only 3 songs that are any good.

Y'all on crack. Sorry. SONIC is a top three Cult album for me (the other two being ELECTRIC and BEYOND GOOD & EVIL, but I see you don't like BEYOND...either).

Oh, and I agree, the new Cult album bites the big weenie in the sky. Bad, bad, bad!!!

Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 10:41 pm

1. Electric
2. Love
3. The Cult

That's all that really needs to be said. The post-punk/goth stuff before hand is good but apart from that the rest below is terrible. Which makes me wonder if this band's genius was accidental considering the stinkers they've produced.

Sonic Temple was the clash of Astbury's drunken delusions and Duffy's Hollyrock c*ck rock guitar wank fantasies.

Ceremony is Astbury's artiste delusions of granduer. Leave the thinking to Warrior Soul boys.

Beyond Good And Evil is just cold, industrial toned and too heavy metal.

Born Into This is a pale tribute to themselves.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 10:43 pm

Lurideath wrote:
decapitate wrote:
First that comes to mind

I agree!!
Also...

Slayer from South of Heaven to Seasons in the Abyss

Shocked fainting -=> on both accounts
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
skullkrusher
Metal student
Metal student
skullkrusher

Number of posts : 115

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 10:47 pm

Nuclear Assault

They followed-up the excellent Handle With Care with the godawful Out Of Order.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the infamous classic album-dud album combo   the infamous classic album-dud album combo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the infamous classic album-dud album combo
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next