Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?

Go down 
+6
Lari
manny
Troublezone
Witchfinder
nevermore
Required Fields
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Empty
PostSubject: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 12:04 pm

NWOBHM is generally considered to have started in 1979. After all, one of the most recognized NWOBHM bands, Saxon, began their 1981 song "Denim and Leather" with the line "Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst?" (although Saxon also released their debut album in 1979, so it could be a reference to that).

Some people say it ended as early as 1982, and as late as 1985. Some might even say 1986.

Most bands who are considered NWOBHM formed by 1982, roughly. I went on Metal Archives this afternoon. Seventeen bands formed as late as 1984 have "NWOBHM" listed as their genre, five formed in 1985, and one even formed in 1986.

I once came across someone who considers British Steel by Judas Priest to be an NWOBHM album, even though Judas Priest released their debut long before NWOBHM was considered a movement. He does not consider any Judas Priest album before it or after it to be NWOBHM.

Most people only really define the first two Iron Maiden albums as NWOBHM, even though their other early 1980s era albums are unquestionably metal, as is every Iron Maiden album after that. However, the verdict is that The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, and Powerslave are not NWOBHM albums, yet there are a few NWOBHM bands having sounds not that far off from those albums.

Let's look at Angel Witch - Frontal Assault, Blade Runner - Warriors of Rock, and the self titled Desolation Angels album, all released in 1986. Angel Witch had two albums released prior to Frontal Assault, and Blade Runner released their debut in 1984. Desolation Angels at least had a single and two demos out in the early 1980s, but didn't get around to releasing their full length debut until 1986, when NWOBHM was considered over. By this time, thrash metal had taken over in the heavier/more intense side of things, and glam/hair bands were extremely popular in the more commercial end of the spectrum.

Most bands who were considered to be a part of the NWOBHM that still existed beyond the mid-1980s sounded quite different from their early 1980s era sound afterward. Def Leppard, who are generally only considered NWOBHM on the debut (some may argue the second album), are a perfect example of that.

So when would you say was the last year NWOBHM could be considered an active movement?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 2:21 pm

I would say '84. The American bands like Quiet Riot and Motley Crue were super popular or getting there. Thrash was rearing it's head. Despite bands releasing records as late as '86 the movement had clearly peaked and was over by that time.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 11:16 pm

1984 at the absolute latest. Some would even say as early as 82 but I will say 84. By that point the center of heavy metal innovation had moved to California and the NWOBHM was no longer influential.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2020 11:25 pm

I think the real deal ended in 1983. Basically when Def Leppard went more commercial, and thrash metal began with Metallica. Just my opinion though...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 8:24 am

I would say it ended in 1983
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6327

PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 9:38 am

It lives forever in our hearts and minds.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 9:43 am

Lari wrote:
It lives forever in our hearts and minds.

The best genre ever headbanger headbanger headbanger.

Lari likes this post

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 3:31 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
1984 at the absolute latest. Some would even say as early as 82 but I will say 84. By that point the center of heavy metal innovation had moved to California and the NWOBHM was no longer influential.

This
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39466

PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 5:04 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I think the real deal ended in 1983. Basically when Def Leppard went more commercial, and thrash metal began with Metallica. Just my opinion though...

Sounds about right
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2020 12:09 pm

Going back to Metal Archives today, it now only lists 13 bands with NWOBHM as their genre as having formed in 1984. I guess some of them had their genre name changed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2020 9:08 am

I guess '83 or '84 at the latest. As nevermore said above, the American bands started gaining prominence by that time and stole the Brits' thunder.

I remember reading a review of Grim Reaper's See You In Hell in Circus or Hit Parader mag when it came out, which said they'd "missed the boat on the NWOBHM," which is probably true. If that album had come out two years earlier it would have put them smack in the middle of the NWOBHM. By '83/'84 everybody had moved on either to thrash or to hair metal so poor Grim Reaper sounded like old hat.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6327

PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2020 5:47 pm

I think these two articles/interviews give you an idea of what the scene was like back in 1983/84:

http://www.metalforcesmagazine.com/site/album-review-tokyo-blade-tokyo-blade/

Whatever happened to the NWOBHM? To many people’s ears it’s truly dead and buried. Well, if this is true then Tokyo Blade will certainly be at the forefront of the NWOBHM-revival with this storming debut album.

http://www.metalforcesmagazine.com/site/feature-tokyo-blade-mf4/
In this country though it’s like banging your head against a brick wall. It’s hard to get tours or press attention unless you happen to be in Ratt, W.A.S.P. or Mötley Crüe. It’s only thanks to magazines like yours that we are starting to get the name known and you sell mostly to America! It’s ridiculous, it really is.”

I think the scene peaked between 1979-1982 and already by '83 it was trending down badly. By 1984, it had died. Too bad that "NWOBHM-revival" never came. at least not in the 80's, and not in Britain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?   NWOBHM: When would you say it ended? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NWOBHM: When would you say it ended?
Page 1 of 1