Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Schaffer/Barlow Project

Go down 
+8
nevermore
Eyesore
Lari
Troublezone
Wrecked Neck
Gilbert
MetalGuy71
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Schaffer/Barlow Project Empty
PostSubject: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 10:28 am

ICED EARTH leader Jon Schaffer will reunite with the band's former singer, Matt Barlow, to celebrate the winter solstice as only they can. Under the SCHAFFER/BARLOW PROJECT banner, they will tackle Christmas classics on a new record called "Winter Nights".

Schaffer and Barlow's first collaborative recording since 2008 will feature the following songs:

01. We Three Kings
02. Silent Night
03. Do You Hear What I Hear?
04. Little Drummer Boy
05. I Died For You (Winter 2020)
06. Watching Over Me (Winter 2020)
07. Silent Night (Traditional)

Barlow said: "This is something that Jon and I had been talking about for many years. It just so happens that it's the right time. These are some Christmas classics that we've decided to do, and also add some re-imaginings of some ICED EARTH songs in there with it. So it's really gonna be pretty damn cool, man."

Schaffer added: "The idea, for whatever reason, popped in my head, and I called Matt. And I was in the middle of another production, so we had this short window of time; we couldn't bring you, really, a full-length album at this moment. But if you guys are into the idea, we definitely would like to do more of this in the future. There's other classic songs that we can rework from our past and from holiday songs and new originals and whatever. So, basically, everything's on the table; we just wanna see if you guys are into where we're going with this. And as weird as this year has been, hopefully it will give you guys some hope. So it's gonna be really awesome.

"We're taking some classic big holiday songs and doing our thing with it, making it very theatrical and epic sounding, and heavy in some parts and spooky in others, beautiful," he continued. "We have two versions of 'Silent Night', one more traditional and one very much something we would do, kind of what you would expect from us."

A Kickstarter page for the project has been launched.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 10:30 am

I've sorta lost interest in more recent Iced Earth/Jon Schaffer projects, but I'd give this a listen for Barlow. Might be kinda cool.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 10:41 am

I am curious to check it out.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 10:48 am

I'll be passing on this one.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 11:45 am

Nope, not gonna listen to one single song from this. Before opening this thread I was wondering, why not just call it an Iced Earth album. Now I'm thankful they didn't.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 11:47 am

I’ll give it a listen... why not? I used to like Iced Earth with Barlow.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 12:27 pm

I'm not crazy about the theme, but it's Schaffer, so it's obvious instant purchase (OIP).
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 2:58 pm

Christmas music is largely horrendous, especially the traditional stuff. Meh.

But those are my thoughts now. You know I'll buy the damn thing. Laughing
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25900

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2020 4:18 pm

Might be interesting. It would be good to hear Barlow singing again.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2020 12:40 am

The more recent Iced Earth stuff that I've heard hasn't interested me all that much, but I might pick this one up. Over the past few years I've got into the habit of buying a Christmas album per year (and then never listening to it again), so this could be 2020's.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2020 11:17 am

I find the Stu Block era Iced Earth albums to be amazing.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2020 11:49 am

Lari wrote:

Agreed. They're all fantastic releases.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2020 1:06 pm

Something Wicked and Horror Show are my two favorite IE albums. I never had any of the ones with Stuber.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2020 4:06 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Something Wicked and Horror Show are my two favorite IE albums. I never had any of the ones with Stuber.
I think Dystopia and Incorruptible have Horror Show beat. I never liked the layered vocals on Horror Show that much. But Jack, Wolf and Dragon's Child are great songs.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2020 5:19 pm

007 wrote:
Lari wrote:

Agreed. They're all fantastic releases.

I was about to post the same thing. Stu is one hell of a vocalist.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2020 6:55 pm

I lost track of I.E. quite a few albums ago but I'd give this a listen. Hey, if Halford can do the Metal Christmas thing (twice), why not Jon/Matt?

Schaffer's already sportin' a white beard anyway. Smile

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2020 10:48 pm

interesting. Last I knew, Shaffer was an atheist, but he picked some blatantly Christian songs here.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2020 2:04 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I lost track of I.E. quite a few albums ago but I'd give this a listen. Hey, if Halford can do the Metal Christmas thing (twice), why not Jon/Matt?

Schaffer's already sportin' a white beard anyway. Smile

The Stu albums are highly recommended:

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 6:11 am

First song released, with a lyric video:

Cover art for the EP:

Schaffer/Barlow Project Picture1-1
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 6:24 am

Wow it's 30 dollars for the Ep:

https://icedearthmerch.com/120688/Schaffer-Barlow-Project-Winter-Nights-CD-DVD-SIGNED-Music

Now I have to reconsider getting this.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 8:06 am

I’m not paying $30 for a EP.

They must be in very limited supply.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 8:10 am

$30 is too much for a full length album , let alone an EP. Good luck with that.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 3:30 pm

On related news, ICED EARTH'S JON SCHAFFER PICKS 5 GREATEST DEBUT METAL ALBUMS

Zero surprises on that list.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2020 3:33 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I’m not paying $30 for a EP.

They must be in very limited supply.
That's what it says:

Only a handful of copies remain from the Schaffer/ Barlow Kickstarter campaign

I think I'll wait for 2nd pressing (and bonus songs).
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2020 11:20 pm

Lari wrote:
I think I'll wait for 2nd pressing (and bonus songs).

Are you guessing here, or is this something they announced?

I was up late one night and ordered this stupid thing through Kickstarter. I don't even drink, but if it's late I order shit online like I'm hammered. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Schaffer/Barlow Project   Schaffer/Barlow Project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Schaffer/Barlow Project
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next