Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.



 
HomeRegisterLog in

 

 What was the first "White Metal" band ?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

Number of posts : 442
Age : 45

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2020 9:15 am

I'd vote for Barnabas ...
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8583
Age : 47

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2020 5:49 pm

I’d say Rez Band.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7056
Age : 40

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2020 4:07 am

Complicated question about a non-existent genre IMO. The term "Christian Metal" is just fine, really.

But...Stryper. OK so someone close this thread and let's move on after lunch K?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
Troublezone

Number of posts : 13736
Age : 44

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2020 5:16 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
I’d say Rez Band.

I thought they were bluesy hard rock?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
Troublezone

Number of posts : 13736
Age : 44

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2020 5:33 am

The first notable and semi mainstream Christian Metal band was Stryper. There was a few others in the early 80s, but they were very obscure in comparison.

Regarding the term “White Metal”, I found this on Wikipedia:

Chicago doom metal group Trouble was known to be the first band that was publicly marketed as "white metal" since their early albums Psalm 9 and The Skull feature Biblical references.[30] The origin of the "white metal" term remains unclear; it is merely known that the non-Christian label Metal Blade Records used "white metal" as a marketing term, in contrast to black metal.
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

Number of posts : 442
Age : 45

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2020 11:31 am

Yep . But that Nickname ("White Metal") really is used here in Brazil since the 80's or 90's as a synonymous with Christian Metal , for many reasons , maybe because it's even way easier to pronounce .

I voted for Barnabas because they where way heavier than the Christian Blues Rock of some bands that appeared on the 70's , yet still belong to the "pre Stryper" era .
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8583
Age : 47

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Christian Metal, white metal, Jesus metal, whatever you call it. Rez and Petra started out in the 70’s. Stryper brought it to the mainstream in the 80’s.

Now the genre nazis will say Petra and Rez weren’t metal but hard rock.
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

Number of posts : 442
Age : 45

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 7:33 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Christian Metal, white metal, Jesus metal, whatever you call it. Rez and Petra started out in the 70’s. Stryper brought it to the mainstream in the 80’s.

Now the genre nazis will say Petra and Rez weren’t metal but hard rock.

Well , that's basically what I think . I think the first White Metal band was really Barnabas because they started back in 1977 . Some people arguing about the actual start of "White Metal" would argue that Messiah Prophet and Messiah (fairly unkown band) where the first ones , but both these started in 1979 . So Barnabas gets my vote . Their first album also was earlier , "Hear the Light" was released in 1980 .
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 8722
Age : 46

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 8:00 am

Troublezone wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:
I’d say Rez Band.

I thought they were bluesy hard rock?

Most of the time, but I'd say their 8-10 heaviest songs are very metal.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7056
Age : 40

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 6:25 pm

anthrax_fan wrote:
Yep . But that Nickname ("White Metal") really is used here in Brazil since the 80's or 90's as a synonymous with Christian Metal , for many reasons , maybe because it's even way easier to pronounce .

Ah this I did not know. Kinda fascinating actually.

And that REZ song posted above? Yeah, I had no idea they were metal. That's almost a Too Fast for Love flavor right there! headbanger

Anyone remember The Daniel Band? Probably not the earliest, but I think their first record was early 80's. I seem to remember them having a metal edge despite the lame name.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
Troublezone

Number of posts : 13736
Age : 44

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 7:01 pm

I don’t know about Petra... they sound like the 80s band Starship.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234
Age : 49

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 8:00 pm

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master


Number of posts : 899
Age : 41

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2020 9:31 pm

Never liked the term. It always made me think of the 70s band Angel (who wore all white clothing), who werent really a metal band anyway.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7056
Age : 40

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 12:56 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I don’t know about Petra... they sound like the 80s band Starship.

True, but one has to admit the power combo of On Fire and Beyond Belief had a cool heavy metal topcoat amidst all the poppiness. Plus those two albums were great at eschewing commercial formulas and employing unique songwriting dynamics while remaining catchy as hell heaven. Just listen to the song Creed. A searing hair metal anthem at the least.

I've begun to notice over time that On Fire is becoming a forgotten album, which is a downright tragedy. Not only was it THE major turning point for the band's sonic direction, but its also some damn whoppin' great arena rock, big drums, power chords et al. It's pretty much a heavy metal album even if it crosses that line by a hair. It's their masterpiece through and through, even IMO above the genius of Beyond Belief. And, yes, we have the Elefante bros to thank for this, but also the fact the Petra was simply a stupidly-talented bunch.

This Means War, though, is simply OK, and way more of that Starship sound is evident there. I have no idea why that album gets so much praise as their power moment. It's like such an audience had never heard the other two albums I mentioned. In the end, Beat the System is headbanging fury compared to the dripping keyboards and synthetic sparkles of This Means War. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Dog Will Hunt!
Troublezone

Number of posts : 13736
Age : 44

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 3:29 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
I don’t know about Petra... they sound like the 80s band Starship.

True, but one has to admit the power combo of On Fire and Beyond Belief had a cool heavy metal topcoat amidst all the poppiness. Plus those two albums were great at eschewing commercial formulas and employing unique songwriting dynamics while remaining catchy as hell heaven. Just listen to the song Creed. A searing hair metal anthem at the least.

I've begun to notice over time that On Fire is becoming a forgotten album, which is a downright tragedy. Not only was it THE major turning point for the band's sonic direction, but its also some damn whoppin' great arena rock, big drums, power chords et al. It's pretty much a heavy metal album even if it crosses that line by a hair. It's their masterpiece through and through, even IMO above the genius of Beyond Belief. And, yes, we have the Elefante bros to thank for this, but also the fact the Petra was simply a stupidly-talented bunch.

This Means War, though, is simply OK, and way more of that Starship sound is evident there. I have no idea why that album gets so much praise as their power moment. It's like such an audience had never heard the other two albums I mentioned. In the end, Beat the System is headbanging fury compared to the dripping keyboards and synthetic sparkles of This Means War. Laughing

I checked out those two albums you mentioned Beyond Belief and On Fire, and they did have a few songs that border on heavy metal. I actually prefer the sound of Beyond Belief. It’s a more modern production and less dated imo.

Funny thing is that they kind of have that Dream Theater keyboard and vocals vibe on some of the mellow songs. I previously only knew of their 70s mellow rock like Yahweh Love and stuff like that (which is far away from metal) and the Starship “AOR” rock. I guess they changed with the times like so many others when more guitar oriented heavy music was popular.
Back to top Go down
anthrax_fan
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
anthrax_fan

Number of posts : 442
Age : 45

What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 17, 2020 9:45 pm

I like some Petra music , basically only the "AOR" albums that where released between 1986 and 1991 , these where all great . These and Jekyll and Hyde is the only music they made that I can actually enjoy .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




What was the first "White Metal" band ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What was the first "White Metal" band ?   What was the first "White Metal" band ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
What was the first "White Metal" band ?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: