Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands that need to be heard live?

Go down 
+11
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
metalinmyveins
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
martinsane
Troublezone
nevermore
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
Dark Horseman
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Bands that need to be heard live? Empty
PostSubject: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 7:59 pm

I like The Winery Dogs ok but listening to them live is such a different experience. I can think of a couple other bands like this but will wait to see what others post.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 10:46 pm

Here's one out of leftfield.  Little River Band.

I saw them in college and while I liked them well enough on vinyl back then ("Lonesome Loser","Cool Change", "Help Is On The Way", "Reminiscing", etc) I was totally unprepared for how great they sounded live. 

Collective Soul was another one.  I saw them in CT after the release of their second album and holy crap were they a LOT heavier live! 

Elton John is another one.  I've always enjoyed his music but I've seen him live 5 times and every show was different and every show was great.  You need to actually see Elton pounding away on the piano and even playing it with his feet to appreciate how talented the man is.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 6:13 am

Bride was always the answer to this for me.

Dale and Co. just brought it live.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 11:17 am

LRB has been noted for their talent even if they go shoved into that soft rock format. I enjoy some Collective Souls so that would be interesting to hear.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 12:05 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Here's one out of leftfield.  Little River Band.

I saw them in college and while I liked them well enough on vinyl back then ("Lonesome Loser","Cool Change", "Help Is On The Way", "Reminiscing", etc) I was totally unprepared for how great they sounded live. 

Collective Soul was another one.  I saw them in CT after the release of their second album and holy crap were they a LOT heavier live! 

Elton John is another one.  I've always enjoyed his music but I've seen him live 5 times and every show was different and every show was great.  You need to actually see Elton pounding away on the piano and even playing it with his feet to appreciate how talented the man is.

A buddy of mine told me the same thing about Collective Soul.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 11:24 pm

LRB have great harmony vocals and catchy choruses. The only downside sometimes is their lyrics can get a little too sensitive and cheesy (hence their soft rock tag).

I think of them as “Kansas-lite”.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 1:39 am

Kings X

The most seen band live by me and I will see them again and again. Just brilliant!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 2:50 am

Van Halen, obviously.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 11:16 am

King's X, yes! V.H. in the old days maybe.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 11:28 am

Lizzy Borden.  
I was never big on them back in the day -- I believe I used to call them "W.A.S.P. Lite" (haha) -- but when I was in college I had a buddy who was a big fan. He practically dragged me to see them at L'amour in Brooklyn cuz he couldn't find anyone else to go with him.  I expected to be "that guy" standing at the back of the room with my arms crossed all night long but a few songs in, I had to admit, Lizzy threw down onstage.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 12:03 pm

Interesting. I don't mind Lizzy but they are one of those ok bands so maybe live would change my mind on them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Interesting. I don't mind Lizzy but they are one of those ok bands so maybe live would change my mind on them.

I didn't become an overnight fanboy or anything, but I did buy his "Visual Lies" album after that show, and I stopped giving my buddy so much crap about listening to them, haha. So I guess that counts for something.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 1:46 pm

I couldn't believe how heavy Alice Cooper was live, when I saw him open for Maiden in 2012.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 5:37 pm

martinsane wrote:
Kings X

The most seen band live by me and I will see them again and again. Just brilliant!

Preach it brother T!!!!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Eric Sardinas. His album are "ok". His live show will rival anything you have ever seen!

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 5:45 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
I couldn't believe how heavy Alice Cooper was live, when I saw him open for Maiden in 2012.

I saw Alice on the "Operation Rock N Roll" tour in summer of '91, which was a package that also featured Judas Priest, Metal Church, Motorhead, and Dangerous Toys. I knew some of Coop's radio "hits" at the time, but that was about all, I was there mainly to see M.C. and Motorhead. However, Alice completely wiped the floor with every other band on that bill.

Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 6:04 pm

This information about Alice Cooper is interesting.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 6:33 pm

Just about every band all of us love are meant to be experienced live. But I will name two, that have all already been mentioned.

Alice Cooper is a big one, I have seen him several times and this man is not afraid to open for anybody or follow anyone. He is a showman and great songwriter.

Collective Soul, I liked their album enough but live, holy shit, freaking amazing.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 7:21 pm

Troublezone wrote:
LRB have great harmony vocals and catchy choruses. The only downside sometimes is their lyrics can get a little too sensitive and cheesy (hence their soft rock tag).

I think of them as “Kansas-lite”.

The harmony vocals were what made that concert great.  They were spot on and unless they were lip-synching to a soundtrack they were the tightest vocals I've ever heard live.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 7:23 pm

manny wrote:
Just about every band all of us love are meant to be experienced live. But I will name two, that have all already been mentioned.

Alice Cooper is a big one, I have seen him several times and this man is not afraid to open for anybody or follow anyone. He is a showman and great songwriter.

Collective Soul, I liked their album enough but live, holy shit, freaking amazing.

Another Collective Soul vote!  So it wasn't just the show I saw.  I only went to that show because my girlfriend wanted to go and good grief was I glad I went!

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 9:37 pm

Good call on Lizzy Borden. Now mind you I have always been a fan boy ever since getting the Give 'Em The Ax EP waay back in the day. Never got to see him live til about 8 years ago I guess and like the Murderous Metal Roadshow VHS I played religiously Lizzy did a club sized version of that show with fake blood and half naked chix and costume changes. It was amazing and he and the band sound better than ever. I kid you not, he even had a tv with like a black saran wrap screen he sang Visual Lies behind it and kept smashing his mug into it. Looked CAF.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2019 11:37 am

Kings X. I flew 1200 miles to see them last year! Prong is awesome live. Helmet is also great live.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2019 11:52 am

Quote :
Prong is awesome live.

They are indeed. I saw them open for Overkill about five years ago, it was the first time I'd seen them since the early 90s, and they whooped ass. Tommy Victor hadn't aged a day, he still looked the same! Haha

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2019 12:45 pm

Folk metal in general can be a bit tough to get into on CD, but it really works well live.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Manny wrote:

True. I meant more you were casually into them but live you liked them better. I really liked Queensryche so seeing them live didn't change that. I'm a casual Eagles fan but live they are a different entity.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands that need to be heard live?   Bands that need to be heard live? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands that need to be heard live?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next