Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...

Go down 
+19
Thrasher73
manny
Boris2008
nevermore
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Eyesore
Glower
martinsane
Hadley
glassprison
mikeinfla
Dark Horseman
John Madden
tohostudios
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Wrecked Neck
Big Rich
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Empty
PostSubject: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 11:38 am

I know we all have albums like that.

Mine would be Vinnie Vincent Invasion's All Systems Go. 90 percent of that record is dog shit. But I used to listen to it all the time.

You?
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 1:18 pm

Quiet Riot Metal Health is pretty much one great song, one great cover, a couple almost good songs, and a bunch of shit in between. Used to listen to it every day for months, and now can't get passed the first couple songs without getting bored.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 1:20 pm

^^ Quiet Riot's Metal Health was the first band/album I thought of too. Loved it when it was current, but I rarely (if ever) listen to it now.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 2:36 pm

I've never listened to that whole album in my life, believe or not.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 6:06 pm

Count me in for Metal Health. Got a lotta spins in my youth, now it's merely serviceable BG music.

Here are some others; first rating is for how I felt as a kid and second rating is now:

Skid Row - Subhuman Race (A-/B-)
Winger - Heart of the Young (B+/C)
Pink Floyd - The Wall (A+/A- I think)
Accept - Metal Heart (A-/B)
Death Angel - Act III (B+/C-)
Firehouse - s/t (B/F)
VH - OU812 (B+/C-)
Megadeth - Youthanasia (A/B)
Pride & Glory - s/t (A+/B+)
Slash's Snakepit - 5 o'clock Somewhere or whatever (A/C+)
Testament - New Order (A/B+)

Plus all the junk during my (thankfully) brief affair with emo (A/F).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 6:44 pm

^^ oooh yeah, now that you mention it, I revisited Youthanasia recently for the first time in quite a while and DAMN that one hasn't aged well at all.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth

At one time I thought this was one of the best albums I'd ever heard.  Now I find the whole thing way too ponderous and pretentious.  I don't think the album has aged badly; it's more like my musical tastes have changed drastically from those days.

Dis-honorable mention - all things Nightwish.  Same thing as BG.

BTW, I know those aren't albums I listened to as a teenager but they're albums I used to like but don't like now. I wasn't allowed to listen to rock music until I was about 15 so I don't really have a proper frame of reference to strictly adhere to the title of the thread so I did the next best thing.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 10:11 pm

I still love the music I listened to as a teen. But as far as more recent stuff, I was into Black water park but I dont like their music much anymore.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2019 10:18 am

About the only rating I disagree on Corpl is Testament, that album is still great. '
I love BG's NIME but I skip all the non music tracks.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2019 11:29 am

Think I'll agree with Metal Health. Loved the cover art, loved the first few tracks. These days the title track is all I need. Bought Condition Critical based only on the artwork of that album. Played the heck out of it when it was new but today it only has one or two worthy songs. Had that one on vinyl.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2019 1:54 pm

The only ones that really come to mind are female-fronted prog/power bands like Epica, Nightwish and Within Temptation. I was really into them during my late teens. I tried to listen to all three of those at some point in the past year and just couldn't get into them anymore.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2019 2:25 pm

Showing my age, but Motley Crue-Generation Swine. Loved it as a teen, but looking back, it's mediocre at best, and some songs (Find Myself, Let us Prey, Shout 97) are just plain unlistenable.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2019 2:42 pm

Loved is a strong word but 2 records leap to mind that I tolerated, spun and sang along with liberally back when they came out and utterly despise them and most of the bands catalog today.

Kiss-Lick It up

&

Aerosmith-Permanent Vacation

As mentioned I really dislike both bands today and not exclusively to these 2 records.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 6:28 am

KISS = Destroyer.
I loved the artwork - stared at it -
Listened to the album as if was mysterious and groundbreaking !
Was amazed my neighbor could play the riff in Detroit Rock City !

I look at that record like a bad comic book now.
NO WAY will I buy that on CD - unless it's 2 bucks......
Flaming Youth ? W.T.H ? Great Expectations ? Please.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
^^ oooh yeah, now that you mention it, I revisited Youthanasia recently for the first time in quite a while and DAMN that one hasn't aged well at all.

For real? Besides "A Tour le Monde," which is their worst song ever, Youthanasia is a fantastic album.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 6:50 am

corplhicks wrote:
Count me in for Metal Health. Got a lotta spins in my youth, now it's merely serviceable BG music.

Here are some others; first rating is for how I felt as a kid and second rating is now:

Firehouse - s/t (B/F)
VH - OU812 (B+/C-)

Interesting you mention Firehouse and 0U812. I loved those when they were new and now OU812 suffers from being dated. I still like several of the songs but Mine All Mine sounds dated as do a few others (or just silly like Sucker In a 3-Piece). I found that VH album on vinyl a couple of years ago and when I played it I thought "Hmmmm this isn't as good as I remember". Last time I had it on cassette when it was new and never upgraded to CD. So I was gonna make a vinyl rip and instead only ripped about 3 songs I wanted.

As for Firehouse I also loved it when it came out. Still like Lover's Lane and All She Wrote and I don't think I would give it an "F", maybe a C- with those 2 songs making it worthwhile. Agree with the C- on OU812.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 10:05 am

Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King. WTF was I thinking???
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 10:12 am

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

For real? Besides "A Tour le Monde," which is their worst song ever, Youthanasia is a fantastic album.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised too. I've had it since it was a new release, I played the livin' hell out of that album back in the day, but listening to it now... meh. (shrugs)

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 11:16 am

I remember liking the first Slaughter album Stick It To Ya. Now I cringe every time I hear something from them.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 3:55 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King.  WTF was I thinking???

Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... 47715
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 1:11 pm

mikeinfla wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Firehouse - s/t (B/F)
VH - OU812 (B+/C-)

Interesting you mention Firehouse and 0U812. I loved those when they were new and now OU812 suffers from being dated. I still like several of the songs but Mine All Mine sounds dated as do a few others (or just silly like Sucker In a 3-Piece).  I found that VH album on vinyl a couple of years ago and when I played it I thought "Hmmmm this isn't as good as I remember". Last time I had it on cassette when it was new and never upgraded to CD. So I was gonna make a vinyl rip and instead only ripped about 3 songs I wanted.

As for Firehouse I also loved it when it came out. Still like Lover's Lane and All She Wrote and I don't think I would give it an "F", maybe a C- with those 2 songs making it worthwhile. Agree with the C- on OU812.

OU812 still gets play in my home on occasion but the lack of bass is way too noticeable for me to really enjoy it. On top of that, Eddie just got too weird with his compositions. Most of the tracks just simply meander and go to weird places with weird rhythms and awkward transitions. But I do love certain songs as much as anything on 5150--When it's Love, Cabo Wabo, Feels so Good, and Finish What Ya Started are fun jams. Although So Good sounds like it was written purely for Baseball games with that bizarre (yet catchy!) organ.

Side note: Firehouse was boy band pop metal garbage. 'nuff said.

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Yeah, I was kinda surprised too. I've had it since it was a new release, I played the livin' hell out of that album back in the day, but listening to it now... meh. (shrugs)

I get surprised every time I pull it out. It's not a bad album by any means (notice my grade is only as low as a B for now) and it does show Dave at his apex of radio-ready songcrafting--seriously, the dude does have a natural knack for that--but it feels so mellow in comparison to anything that came before it. Remember how terrifying and unsettling Countdown was? All that seemed to dissipate on Youthanasia. The songs, despite some catchy riffing and phenomenal drum work by Menza, lack power and aggression.

But in its day--and yes, it is one of the most 90's-sounding heavy metal albums ever--I thought it was a fun ride. Maybe over time I've yearned for less 'fun' in my Deth and for more 'unstable maniac.' Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Anthrax-Fistful of Metal I don't hate it but I don't like it as much as when it came out. Just hasn't held up well imo.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 9:18 pm

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Not even a particularly good live album and Bruce singing Dianno makes my teeth itch.

Last edited by Boris2008 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 9:59 pm

I can't really think of any, if I liked it as a teen, than I probably still like it, including 'Metal Health'
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 2:08 am

Kiss- Animalize

I loved that album back in the day. I can’t remember the last time I listened to it but the only song I would care to hear again would be Heavens on Fire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...   Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wankers, name an album you loved as a teenager but now don't like at all...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next