Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up

Go down 
+7
Required Fields
Wrecked Neck
Troublezone
Sword Of The Heretic
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Temple of Blood
corplhicks
11 posters
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Empty
PostSubject: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 1:22 pm

So I've noticed this phenomenon for years now and never think to bring it up. Have you guys ever heard a super fast thrash song, an awesome one, loud and on the headphones, when suddenly you realize that the drummer is just a nickle behind and has to compensate for a beat here and there? This is especially true with snare work. Two examples would be Tom Hunting (Exodus) in Pleasures of the Flesh (Deranged is a messy affair the more I hear it) and some areas of Dark Angel's TDNH. Now, note, this is not a knock. I honestly could care less if the drummers are behind; if anything it adds to the chaotic studio nature of the genre. But it's a point of interest nonetheless. Let me know if you guys can think of anyone else.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 2:50 pm

The first one that came to mind was Possessed on "Seven Churches".

Lars sounds like he needed a ton of "polish" to play on the latest Metallica.

I've never noticed that on TDNH and heard it a million times. Where?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
The first one that came to mind was Possessed on "Seven Churches".

Lars sounds like he needed a ton of "polish" to play on the latest Metallica.  

I've never noticed that on TDNH and heard it a million times.  Where?

I'll have to go back and check. I believe it first hit me while I was recently trying to learn Psychosexuality. Surprised me a bit as I was thinking, "damn Gene, keep up!" It's ever so slight.

Maaaan Seven Churches is a great "glorious mess" type of record. Good call.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 4:59 pm

At least, Dark Angel has those amazing "287 original riffs" to make up for it. If you've ever seen the original packaging, you'll get that joke.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 9:12 pm

Death - Primitive Ways was the first thing I thought of
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 10:53 pm

I don’t agree with the TDNH comment. The album is super heavy, but not that fast... except for the last song “A Subtle Induction”. I think Gene played what was right for the album.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 12:48 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
At least, Dark Angel has those amazing "287 original riffs" to make up for it.  If you've ever seen the original packaging, you'll get that joke.
Yeah I remember that, and thought it was dumb lol Wonder how many kids tried to count them to see if it was true. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 11:04 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
At least, Dark Angel has those amazing "287 original riffs" to make up for it.  If you've ever seen the original packaging, you'll get that joke.
Yeah I remember that, and thought it was dumb lol Wonder how many kids tried to count them to see if it was true. Laughing very hard

It was 246. However, I remember one review on Metal Archives said, "I counted 247!"
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 12:14 pm

There are rumors about Lars having some editing tricks done on "Dyers Eve". I honestly don't believe them, and think people want it to be true to make him look bad.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 12:24 pm

How about thrash albums with bad drum sound? Testaments Practice album has a horrible ticking sound.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 8:36 pm

Speaking of Testament...

I’m certain that if they didn’t slow down the tempo after The Legacy album, Louie Clemente would’ve definitely struggled to keep up. That guy wasn’t a true thrash drummer. The Ritual was more his pace.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 10:56 pm

I dunno, he was on the first five albums and they all had speedy songs on them until The Ritual.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I dunno, he was on the first five albums and they all had speedy songs on them until The Ritual.

Of coarse some other albums with Louie had some uptempo songs, but in general you can tell he really attacked the drums on The Legacy. After that, he gradually had less energy on each consecutive album until the great but basic style on The Ritual. Don’t get me wrong, I liked his playing, but I think Eric was held back by his limitations. He was more a traditional metal player as opposed to guys like Lombardo or Bostaph.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 12:45 pm

The story is that Lars had someone hold his cymbal to do the fast chokes on Dyer's Eve. I believe it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 12:55 pm

I've seen Lars many times live and he's always struggling to keep up. He's beet-red with veins popping out in his neck and forehead. And they never seem to play many fast-tempo songs in a row. It's always a few fast ones, then something from ReLoad so Lars can catch his breath. Razz

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 1:34 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
The story is that Lars had someone hold his cymbal to do the fast chokes on Dyer's Eve.  I believe it.

Has it ever been confirmed that some studio trickery was used on the drums during the recording of ...And Justice for All? I've heard all the rumors (and pretty much believe them) that takes were spliced and stuff, but has anyone substantiated it in a book or interview since then?

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 1:59 pm

All kinds of modifications were used on AJFA. If they messed with Jason’s bass, I believe Lars also used studio tricks on his drums.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2019 2:52 pm

My guess is that he played it all on AJFA except those cymbal chokes.

I bet his newest album is the fakest drum-wise, because it is easier to cut/paste in the digital world these days than it was back then with analog tape.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 6:20 pm

Witchhunter is the king of drummers who can't quite keep up

Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 11:30 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Witchhunter is the king of drummers who can't quite keep up

I think that album has all players holding on and then failing to keep up in turns Very Happy It kinda evens all up!

Listening to those guitar solos, especially on Witching Metal, always makes me feel good because they sound exactly what I would be capable of playing and makes me feel like if they were able to make a record I would too!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Troublezone wrote:
All kinds of modifications were used on AJFA. If they messed with Jason’s bass, I believe Lars also used studio tricks on his drums.

Now that you mention it, I remember hearing Decrepit Birth did something like this on their debut album, ...And Time Begins, several years ago. I am not sure how much truth there is to that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up   Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thrash drummers that can't quite keep up
Page 1 of 1