Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?

Go down 
+21
metalinmyveins
nevermore
mikeinfla
Hadley
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
Eyesore
Thrasher73
Troublezone
Gilbert
Thelemech
Wrecked Neck
akeldama
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
martinsane
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
glassprison
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 11:36 am

That Corabi album is the bee's knees, yo!

Our local radio station KRZR 103.7 (THE WILD HAAAAARE, it's gone now) used to play full albums on Sunday nights--that's how I was first introduced to Van Halen II, fond memories--and they premiered Crue '94 when it dropped. I had low expectations but fired up my boombox anyway to tape the thing in case I enjoyed it. Hell, I didn't even plan on listening to it that night, just let it record and try it out some other day.

I WAS HOOKED. I couldn't stop listening to it. Yes, Corabi's voice was a big draw ("Gary Cherone?" What the hell man??) but he and Mick's guitar tones are so insanely heavy and hooky on that album that it kept me wondering what the next track would be like, and the next, and the next. Uncle Jack is my favorite song, as ugly and creepy as it is.

Some minor gripes I have about the album: a bit too long, Mick's guitar leads still suffer when he doesn't employ melodic structuring, and Corabi's voice does wear a little after the halfway mark. But those are quibbles--Motley Crue is one of the greatest 90's albums for hard rock and heavy metal. ***1/2 out of ****.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Speak of coincidence. I was watching an old video by Rene Holspa (aka Krokus on this board) on his YouTube channel earlier today. He picked up this album among his ten favourite ever!

I've changed my tune regarding this album (pun intended), but top 10 ever??? Well, good for Rene, that's a brave choice and he might be the only metal head to ever state this. In my 47 years, I've never heard this album mentioned regarding any list, unless it was a bad list. That's cool though...
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 3:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:
So I listened to Theatre of Pain on the way home from work tonight, and I have determined that...y'alls is craaaaaaazy!

Seriously, maybe not the best production, but it's a GREAT album. The only bad song is "Smokin' in the Boy's Room," which I'm sure many would disagree with. "Raise Your Hands to Rock" is weak, but not bad. The rest kick ass.

I think the production or lack there of is the draw. There are many who can't stand "Fly on the Wall" (funny enough same year), but I love the gritty sound on that album. I'm all about under production, especially when it concerns an era which was all about over production. Mick's guitar tone was different and it's appreciated in the end. There aren't too many albums that I change my mind about. I hated this album for years, but I like it now and it's fresh to the years, which is cool.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 7:57 pm

Quote :
So I listened to Theatre of Pain on the way home from work tonight, and I have determined that...y'alls is craaaaaaazy!

Seriously, maybe not the best production, but it's a GREAT album. The only bad song is "Smokin' in the Boy's Room," which I'm sure many would disagree with. "Raise Your Hands to Rock" is weak, but not bad. The rest kick ass.

Glad I'm not alone on this view! Revisiting it myself, "Use It or Lose It" stuck out to me as a very cool fast-paced song that almost never gets mentioned.
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2019 12:15 pm

I like it more than when it first came out, but that could just be nostalgia....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3