Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?

Go down 
+21
metalinmyveins
nevermore
mikeinfla
Hadley
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
Eyesore
Thrasher73
Troublezone
Gilbert
Thelemech
Wrecked Neck
akeldama
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
martinsane
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
glassprison
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 4:28 pm

It's definitely not their best album, but since I saw them on this tour, on Nikki's 27th birthday, it does bring back some good memories. I hated Home Sweet Home because it didn't sound metal to me. The rest of the album wasn't to bad, but definitely not what I expected to follow Shout At The Devil. We all know the reason Theater sounds the way it did though.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 4:41 pm

I love how a bunch of you got mad that they went from looking like a bunch of ugly chicks in makeup and leather to a bunch of ugly chicks in makeup and spandex. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17160

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 5:40 pm

Tbh, the only two Crue albums I like (all the way through) are Too Fast and Shout. Every album after those are full of filler with an average of maybe 2 to 3 great or solid songs. So basically, all I need is a greatest hits comp and the first two albums.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Tbh, the only two Crue albums I like (all the way through) are Too Fast and Shout. Every album after those are full of filler with an average of maybe 2 to 3 great or solid songs. So basically, all I need is a greatest hits comp and the first two albums.

Totally agree.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 6:11 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Totally agree.

We agree? I can’t believe it! Razz
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 7:44 pm

What he said. lol!
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7633

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 7:46 pm

I only like three Crue albums all the way through - the first two and the Corabi album.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 7:58 pm

Quote :
and the Corabi album

I like how in The Dirt movie they portray Vince's return as being some kind of revival of the band as it once was. It ends on that note with them walking out on stage together, but in reality we all suffered through Generation Swine, ha.

It's cool that Corabi is still doing material from that S/T album live, sometimes even the whole album front to back.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26485

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I only like three Crue albums all the way through - the first two and the Corabi album.

Those are the best ones.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40616

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 9:03 pm

The Corabi album is really good. It and Decade Of Decadence are the only 2 Crue albums I currently own.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 9:45 pm

The only Crüe I need are TFFL, SATD, MC94 & Quaternary (Import).
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Speak of coincidence. I was watching an old video by Rene Holspa (aka Krokus on this board) on his YouTube channel earlier today. He picked up this album among his ten favourite ever!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2019 10:58 pm

So I listened to Theatre of Pain on the way home from work tonight, and I have determined that...y'alls is craaaaaaazy!

Seriously, maybe not the best production, but it's a GREAT album. The only bad song is "Smokin' in the Boy's Room," which I'm sure many would disagree with. "Raise Your Hands to Rock" is weak, but not bad. The rest kick ass.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 1:13 am

I just went to YouTube for a fresh listen to Theater of Pain and I immediately thought the production sounded very familiar... It has the same thin shitty sound as Stay Hungry by Twisted Sister. So I then checked Wikipedia and sure enough, it was produced by the same guy, Tom Werman. No wonder it sounds like shit!

He totally pussified Mick Mars guitar tone.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 2:01 am

I only hate the album cover and photo of band.
Put the record in black - band name printed in blood - yes !
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 2:10 am

Glower wrote:

No way! That’s the best album cover they got. Their other album covers are plain or just band photos, unless you like the crotch shot on Too Fast. Haha!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 8:03 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Glower wrote:

No way! That’s the best album cover they got. Their other album covers are plain or just band photos, unless you like the crotch shot on Too Fast. Haha!

Dr Feelgood is their best album cover imo. Theater’s cover looks as basic as it gets. At least Feelgood is a fairly intricate drawing with a dagger, shrunken head skull, bat wings and a snake... way more going on!

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 8:06 am

I just don't get the appeal of the Corabi album. I've revisited it so many times over the past 10 years, to see if I'm missing something, due to its now cult status. Every time I'm left wondering why.

I like his voice, but the music behind it I just can't get on board.

Maybe another re-re-re-revisit will happen today.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37887

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 8:16 am

I never got the hype about the Corabi-Crue album (or John Corabi in general, to be honest) either. I owned it for a couple of years, but aside from "Hooligan's Holiday" and one or two other songs, it's pretty dull. I ended up trading it away.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 8:24 am

Corabi - lol.
That’s like the Van Halen release, please, with Gary Cherone.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 3:28 pm

Quote :
I never got the hype about the Corabi-Crue album (or John Corabi in general, to be honest) either. I owned it for a couple of years, but aside from "Hooligan's Holiday" and one or two other songs, it's pretty dull. I ended up trading it away.

"Misunderstood" is what makes that album for me. Easily one of my top 3 Crue songs
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Eyesore wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Thelemech wrote:
It is OK and I do enjoy it the odd time I pull it out to listen to. The worst of the classic Crue albums but still better than most Pop Metal of the time.

I agree it's an ok album. But to me Girls,Girls,Girls is the worst album of the classic Crue albums.

Yeah. That one is pretty bad. Two songs (classics, in fact) worth a damn, the rest is all kinds of yaaaaaawn.

Count me in as Third on this comment. The wheels had started to come off at this point.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 9:24 pm

TBH, I don't really listen to anything between Girls, Girls, Girls and Saints of LA.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2019 10:40 pm

We've covered all the bases here but Motley is very much like Pearl Jam to me. Yea I know musically different and all that but follow along.

Motley dropped Too Fast which is front to back a classic. No skippers all killer.

Pearl Jam's 10, same. All the way through a perfect rock n roll album, BUT just like Motley they released disc after disc after disc of 1-3 good if not great songs with to shovels full of wtf???

Both Motley and PJ could easily do a single disc of their after their first release work and both have killer sophomore releases.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 7:45 am

I follow what you are saying, martin, but I don't think Too Fast is a classic all the way through. It's very good musically, but some of the songs are definitely filler to me. If I had to choose between this album and Pearl Jam's Ten...I would choose Pearl Jam. Just regarding the albums, not the bands.

I feel like a lot of the "hate" for Theater is based on the look of the band (and the album cover) at the time. I also think it had to do with those who were already fans (and had been there since the beginning) and had high expectations after the absolute Classic that Shout is. Priest follows up Defenders with Turbo; Maiden follows up Powerslave (and the greatest live album ever) with Somewhere in Time.

As I said on the previous page, my introduction to the Crue was this album, so going backwards only got better. I have dropped/ lost interest in bands based on sound (Bon Jovi. Leppard. Tesla) and in the interest of imagery and themes (Slayer, Mercyful Fate/ King). So I get it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?    Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why the hatred for Theatre of Pain?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next