Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8

Go down 
+15
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Gilbert
Troublezone
Boris2008
Thrasher73
manny
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Dark Horseman
Wrecked Neck
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 9:36 pm

corplhicks wrote:
^^Chiming in with the above, yeah I have a thousand reason not to like this band, and it was only recently (like, a year ago?) that I gave up on 'em. I've never been able to stomach Belladonna's whining (I truly think that dude did the whole thrash thing simply because he failed so hard in the AOR market), and Scott (cool guy) and Dan were pretty awful at their instruments. Spreading the Disease? Cool album, the only one worth listening to. Among the Living? Boring, overpraised, and recklessly messy (although I LOVE I am the Law). Euphoria? Has its moments and is stronger than Among but a dud mix and too much monotony. Persistence of Time? That's the one that kind of pisses me off because it's held high by so many--to me it's lifeless. There isn't anything dynamic about that album. It plods while begging the listener to buy into RAHHHH DARK RIFFAGE SO FAST THREAT as if they were trying to show more maturity. And don't get me started on nails on chalkboard I'm the Man.

Don't get me wrong, I have respect for their place in history (like I would Venom, another band that I'm on the fence about), Charlie is a great drummer, and they do have a kickass tune here and there, but I tried fellas, this is one of the few thrash wonders that feel out of place. Big four? Ha, yeah sure.

I can't help but note how much recognition for them recently (~10 years) has exploded, and I wonder if that has anything to do with VH1 Classic/That Metal Show.

I wouldn't disagree with much of that and I'll add that the only album that I like more now than I did back in the day is Fistful
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 10:46 pm

Fistful is a true classic and my favourite by them.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2019 2:37 am

Gilbert wrote:
Fistful is a true classic and my favourite by them.

Mine too. After reading through this thread last night I re-visited Fistful and still love it. It doesn't really sound like them at all, so maybe that's why it's my favorite if theirs. I do like the next couple albums by them, but n it as much as I used to.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2019 12:06 pm

I've never really been a huge fan of Anthrax aside from a few songs. I especially love "Medusa" from Spreading the Disease. I definitely agree that their spot among the Big Four is mostly due to their importance to the genre rather than strictly their quality - Testament, Overkill, or maybe Sepultura would be better fits for the 4th band in the lineup.

I saw them live a few years back (I was more interested in the supporting acts, Municipal Waste, Holy Grail, and Exodus), and I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb because they played all of Among the Living and I didn't know every single riff, lyric, and transition like the rest of everyone in the crowd. That album just never hooked me, really.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: