Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8

Go down 
+15
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Gilbert
Troublezone
Boris2008
Thrasher73
manny
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Dark Horseman
Wrecked Neck
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 6:08 pm

Nope....Still sucks.

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 6:59 pm

Haha, I did that myself about six months ago, with the same results. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 7:01 pm

The one Anthrax album I have never heard.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm

I mean, it's not their best but it don't suck and for the time it was great.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 7:09 pm

OK, pile on but that is the one Anthrax album I like.  Since I'm not into thrash very much most of their albums don't appeal to me but with John Bush on vocals this album took on more of a metal/hard rock approach which I enjoyed more than Anthrax' other material.  

I don't dislike other Anthrax albums but Volume 8 is the only one I own.  

Commence the bashing (*ducks*)

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 8:00 pm

Never cared for Bush era Anthrax.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 8:49 pm

Yeah, this one never gets any spins from me. A few weeks back I had remembered my New Year's Resolution to give some time to the albums from fave bands I just don't play. This was pretty much the top of the heap along with the Whitesnake album from '97 and Dio's "Angry Machines" platter. It's not that I hate these albums, but compared to the rest of each band's back catalog, there is always something far better to reach for.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 9:05 pm

I loved the John Bush era, loved it was a bit more melodic, thou I liked Joey Belladonna, it seems the big deal about him was that Anthrax was the only thrash band that had a singer that could actually sing.

John Bush has a killer set of pipes, and if after the Sound of White Noise', if they had not suddenly made line up changes in the lead guitarist dept, they might have continued on an artistic hot streak, but they were able to hold to momentum they had built with the first John Bush album.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 9:59 pm

I’ve come to enjoy the Bush era Anthrax. Sound of White Noise is a great album. Volume 8 is ok, not as bad as I first thought.Belladonna era will always be my favorite though.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 10:16 pm

I like the Bush era Anthrax. Sound Of White Noise and Stomp 442 are both good listens, Sound the better of the 2.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2019 11:39 pm

Inside Out is a great tune but the album was patchy. I love Bush's voice and the Greater of Two Evils album was the best versions of the old songs but mostly the songwriting in that band has been awful since PoT (probably since Among the Living really)
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 12:15 am

I had it, and I tried to like it... but I didn’t care for the direction they went with Bush. It seemed generic compared to their prosperous days with Belladonna.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 12:42 am

I rarely revisit any bad material anymore.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 8:04 am

manny wrote:
I loved the John Bush era, loved it was a bit more melodic, thou I liked Joey Belladonna, it seems the big deal about him was that Anthrax was the only thrash band that had a singer that could actually sing.

John Bush has a killer set of pipes, and if after the Sound of White Noise', if they had not suddenly made line up changes in the lead guitarist dept, they might have continued on an artistic hot streak, but they were able to hold to momentum they had built with the first John Bush album.

I love "White Noise" and play the "WCFYA" disc a lot, but the others not so much. I think it's just a question, for me anyway, that the albums I don't play just aren't very good. Volume 8 just seems very unfocused and thrown together.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 8:51 am

It's a mess. The band was completely lost at this point and bumbling about for direction.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 9:54 am

Loved it them, love it now. It's a great album. You wankers wouldn't know good music if it landed on your face and started to wiggle.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I mean, it's not their best but it don't suck and for the time it was great.

I never understand that kind of opinion. "For the time, it was great." Why does the time period matter? If it was great back then, why not anymore?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 3:58 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Heck, I never cared for Belladonna-era Anthrax. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 8:06 pm

It was great because heavy metal was almost a bad work in the states when it came out.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 9:14 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I feel as though I don't now you two anymore. angry
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 pm

the sentinel wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I feel as though I don't now you two anymore. angry

I've always run hot & cold with this band, though... I was on board from the debut thru Among, but I thought they stumbled on State of Euphoria. Persistence was an improvement but it didnt bring me back into the fold whole hog.

I tried to give em a fair shake when Bush joined, Sound of White Noise was OK, but I was done with em by Stomp 442, which was dull as dishwater.

Even when Joey came back in, Worship Music was decent but again, I thought For All Kings was meh.

So at this point, I think I've got all the Anthrax I'm ever gonna need.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 9:47 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

So at this point, I think I've got all the Anthrax I'm ever gonna need.

Ditto. And the only one I need is Volume 8. Laughing very hard

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2019 10:24 pm

^^Chiming in with the above, yeah I have a thousand reason not to like this band, and it was only recently (like, a year ago?) that I gave up on 'em. I've never been able to stomach Belladonna's whining (I truly think that dude did the whole thrash thing simply because he failed so hard in the AOR market), and Scott (cool guy) and Dan were pretty awful at their instruments. Spreading the Disease? Cool album, the only one worth listening to. Among the Living? Boring, overpraised, and recklessly messy (although I LOVE I am the Law). Euphoria? Has its moments and is stronger than Among but a dud mix and too much monotony. Persistence of Time? That's the one that kind of pisses me off because it's held high by so many--to me it's lifeless. There isn't anything dynamic about that album. It plods while begging the listener to buy into RAHHHH DARK RIFFAGE SO FAST THREAT as if they were trying to show more maturity. And don't get me started on nails on chalkboard I'm the Man.

Don't get me wrong, I have respect for their place in history (like I would Venom, another band that I'm on the fence about), Charlie is a great drummer, and they do have a kickass tune here and there, but I tried fellas, this is one of the few thrash wonders that feel out of place. Big four? Ha, yeah sure.

I can't help but note how much recognition for them recently (~10 years) has exploded, and I wonder if that has anything to do with VH1 Classic/That Metal Show.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 pm

I just got done listening to the tracks that I like on this album and they just pale in comparison to those earlier albums. The only thing that helps "Vol. 8", it follows "Stomp 442", which I still don't like. Talk about uninspired. It's a shame too, as "Sound of White Noise" was/is a great album. Well, at least Anthrax rebounded with "We've Come For You All". Anthrax records with John Bush are definitely a shit sandwich. The bread, which are the bookend albums are good, but the meat between the bread, is one big turd!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 pm

It's not a good album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8   Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re-Visiting Anthrax - Volume 8
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next