Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread

Go down 
+22
Big Rich
nevermore
Lari
Troublezone
Lurideath
mikeinfla
Thrasher73
Gilbert
Witchfinder
James B.
the sentinel
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
corplhicks
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Wurthless
Boris2008
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Yes
Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
No
Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 4 ]
Kinda - Maybe in 1988
Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Vote_lcap67%Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 67% [ 18 ]
I am with Unc. F them and Uncle Ted
Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 27

AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 5:15 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Lari wrote:
I like hair metal, but GnR never really did it for me. I do own Appetite and find it worth holding on to. Though I'm not sure why, because I haven't played it in years.

Though they were lumped in with the MTV pop metal bands of the era, I never thought of them as such. Just raunchy, aggressive hard rock. Tons of bark AND bite.

I agree.  Especially AFD; if I had to put a label on that album it would be sleaze rock/metal as opposed to hair metal.  Maybe UYI drifts a little closer to hair territory but AFD is simply balls out sleaze.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 5:20 pm

tohostudios wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Lari wrote:
I like hair metal, but GnR never really did it for me. I do own Appetite and find it worth holding on to. Though I'm not sure why, because I haven't played it in years.

Though they were lumped in with the MTV pop metal bands of the era, I never thought of them as such. Just raunchy, aggressive hard rock. Tons of bark AND bite.

I agree.  Especially AFD; if I had to put a label on that album it would be sleaze rock/metal as opposed to hair metal.  Maybe UYI drifts a little closer to hair territory but AFD is simply balls out sleaze.

Good point. The Illusion albums had a slicker polish, didn't they? That plus all their bloated promotional affairs (I'm looking at you, failed Estranged music video) during those two albums aligned them more with the pop metal scene. Still a wide berth musically, but closer.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17077

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 6:57 pm

Lurideath wrote:
No! If there was another option for "Shittiest band to ever exist ever" that would be my choice! I remember seeing them on MTV the 1st time they ever aired this garbage band's debut video and I wanted to throw up profusely. I hated it and they became super huge. When the Illusion albums came along, I had the same reaction. I still despise this band more than any band in history!

Pretty harsh. It’s hard to believe you think they’re worse than something like Poison or Nelson.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9890

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 7:05 pm

GNR are a very good band, but they are also too overrated compared to other groups who have had a much better and more successful career, such as L.A Guns for ex.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39708

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 7:07 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Lari wrote:

Agreed. They had much more bite than your Poisons, White Lions and such.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Lurideath wrote:
No! If there was another option for "Shittiest band to ever exist ever" that would be my choice! I remember seeing them on MTV the 1st time they ever aired this garbage band's debut video and I wanted to throw up profusely. I hated it and they became super huge. When the Illusion albums came along, I had the same reaction. I still despise this band more than any band in history!

Pretty harsh. It’s hard to believe you think they’re worse than something like Poison or Nelson.

Hey!  Don't start in on Poison!  They're one of my favorite hair bands!  Seriously.  Those guys could write a hook.  Laughing

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39708

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 7:33 pm

People like to trash hair metal bands but they all had a load of talent.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 7:44 pm

I think Poison would be better received by people like myself and TZ if they had had a) better production values, b) a better guitarist, and c) a better lead singer. They came across as strikingly talent-less.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 7:46 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

Hey!  Don't start in on Poison!  They're one of my favorite hair bands!  Seriously.  Those guys could write a hook.  Laughing

Actually I have to admit they had some catchy songs (in a cheesy way).  Smile
They were one of the biggest bubble gum bands of the 80s, along with Bon Jovi, Nelson and Firehouse... but more sleazy.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25943

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 7:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
It pains me to say it, but I'm voting "kinda".

They're currently a shell of a former great band and if they do manage to squeeze out another recording, it'll never compare to the albums of the past.

This is my vote and thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 7:54 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I think Poison would be better received by people like myself and TZ if they had had a) better production values, b) a better guitarist, and c) a better lead singer. They came across as strikingly talent-less.

I actually think CC Deville was pretty good. He had that sloppy Jimmy Page approach to glam, but his riffs were surprisingly memorable. The only problem I had with them is their image.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

Actually I have to admit they had some catchy songs (in a cheesy way).  Smile
They were one of the biggest bubble gum bands of the 80s, along with Bon Jovi, Nelson and Firehouse.

Yep!  Most of the "hair metal" bands get slagged but dammit, most of them could write a hook.  At least once.  Even a band like Trixter came up with "Give It To Me Good" which is catchy as hell IMO.  Nevermind it's the only decent track I've ever heard by the band.  I bought the debut and a subsequent release and "Give It To Me Good" is STILL the only song I remember from them.  But it is damn sure a good song.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

Not to speak on the man's behalf, but I don't think he means he feels they are worse than Poison, Nelson, or some other hair metal band; Lurideath, like all of us, has that one band/ artist (or two) that you just loathe and can't stomach when the press and their fans gush about them.

Guns, like Crue, and Kiss had their time and place in Rock/ Metal history; and I respect that, but I step back years later when the fandom subsides and I see how over rated they are/ or were and I no longer buy in. I know I have said this before, but there are a few bands I have lost interest in cuz of musical direction (Def Leppard, Bon Jovi); some due to lackluster releases (Kiss, Scorpions,TNT, Skid Row); and some I no longer can tolerate the main man like Guns for example.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 8:11 pm

Troublezone wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I actually think CC Deville was pretty good. He had that sloppy Jimmy Page approach to glam, but his riffs were surprisingly memorable. The only problem I had with them is their image.

CC is my #1 most hated rock guitarist. The guy is just gross. Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 288219

I also always thought their hooks were more derivative than memorable. None of their music has any staying power for me; I have to hear the songs fresh in order to remember them. Can't even bring up I Want Action Tonight in my head. They're those kind of tunes that are written to be catchy but I always feel like I've heard them before a thousand times by a thousand artists.

I do get their popularity, but it's always been hard for me to appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 pm

I think Trixter's latter day material is better than their early stuff. I like both eras of the band as you all know by now I use the term "hair metal" affectionately, but I prefer the recent output as it's a bit more mature and intelligent.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Poison was good. I like them well enough. I am one of those cats (and there are many here) who was at the counter of the record shop with a Poison cassette and a Testament one in hand and couldn't wait until my parents left for the evening to run around and air guitar like I was onstage at Donnington! Smile
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 8:21 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

Not to speak on the man's behalf, but I don't think he means he feels they are worse than Poison, Nelson, or some other hair metal band; Lurideath, like all of us, has that one band/ artist (or two) that you just loathe and can't stomach when the press and their fans gush about them.

Guns, like Crue, and Kiss had their time and place in Rock/ Metal history; and I respect that, but I step back years later when the fandom subsides and I see how over rated they are/ or were and I no longer buy in. I know I have said this before, but there are a few bands I have lost interest in cuz of musical direction (Def Leppard, Bon Jovi); some due to lackluster releases (Kiss, Scorpions,TNT, Skid Row); and some I no longer can tolerate the main man like Guns for example.

Well said. You could be right, they may just rub him the wrong way. It happens...
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Troublezone wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

Well said. You could be right, they may just rub him the wrong way. It happens...

Oh...now I understand.

Guns N Roses:Lurideath = Dave Mattews Band/Journey/Phil Collins:tohostudios

Laughing very hard

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 8:30 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

CC is my #1 most hated rock guitarist. The guy is just gross. Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 288219

I also always thought their hooks were more derivative than memorable. None of their music has any staying power for me; I have to hear the songs fresh in order to remember them. Can't even bring up I Want Action Tonight in my head. They're those kind of tunes that are written to be catchy but I always feel like I've heard them before a thousand times by a thousand artists.

I do get their popularity, but it's always been hard for me to appreciate it.

It’s the opposite for me. I can immediately recall the songs: I Want Action, Talk Dirty and Nothin’ But A Good Time very easily. CC used very simple Chuck Berry type riffs like “Johnny B Goode”. The kind you can hum to yourself.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6340

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 2:14 am

Gilbert wrote:
GNR are a very good band, but they are also too overrated compared to other groups who have had a much better and more successful career, such as L.A Guns for ex.

Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 82702
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9890

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 2:54 am

Lari wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

I stand by what i said. When was the last time GNR gave us a good album? 1991.

L.A Guns on the other hand are still coming out with one great album after the other. Consistency headbanger.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6340

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 4:08 am

Gilbert wrote:
Lari wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

I stand by what i said. When was the last time GNR gave us a good album? 1991.

L.A Guns on the other hand are still coming out with one great album after the other. Consistency headbanger.
Well, that's one way of measuring success. Size and number of mansions owned is another.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 4:11 am

the sentinel wrote:
Poison was good. I like them well enough. I am one of those cats (and there are many here) who was at the counter of the record shop with a Poison cassette and a Testament one in hand and couldn't wait until my parents left for the evening to run around and air guitar like I was onstage at Donnington! Smile

Absolutely! I was one of those guys. Metal was Metal, everything from Britny Fox to Kreator and anything in between.

Anyway, speaking of writing great songs. Out of all the hair bands I think Warrant was one of the best.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 675

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 10:18 am

They had one amazing record that I still spin now and then.

However, Axl Rose is an asshole that will never get a cent of my money ever again.

Here's my Axl story.

I saw them on the GnR - Metallica tour in New Orleans, which was one of the shows James only sang after his accident.

Metallica was great. They even played Shortest Straw which wasn't on the setlist.

Then they left and we waited on GnR. And we waited some more. Then after 3 hours this prick finally hit the stage. At this point, it was obvious nobody cared.  The Superdome crowd was half asleep after waiting on Axl. And he knew it. He spent the majority of his time between songs yelling at the crowd. One time in the middle of a song he screamed "wake up motherfuckers!!"

Laughing very hard Laughing very hard

Yeah, no more of that prick for me.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 4:11 pm

HAHAHAHA! Dude I actually like all those bubble gum bands more than GnR! I just never got the appeal to that band and listening to them did nothing for me. The singer is wretched and I always hear people either online or people like Eddie Trunk talk about how amazing he is. LOL. If a pissed off cat is a good singer, ok... LOL The guitarists are nothing special and although are good rhythm players, they are just so bland in my opinion. The drums suck and I never cared about the bass because you cant really hear it anyway. Their image was as big of a joke as their music to me.

But yeah I would much rather listen to Poison, Bon Jovi, Trixter, Bulletboys, Firehouse, etc than them. I will go as far as to even say WHAM! are better!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next