Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread

Go down 
+22
Big Rich
nevermore
Lari
Troublezone
Lurideath
mikeinfla
Thrasher73
Gilbert
Witchfinder
James B.
the sentinel
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
corplhicks
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Wurthless
Boris2008
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Yes
Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Vote_lcap11%Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
No
Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Vote_lcap15%Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Vote_rcap
 15% [ 4 ]
Kinda - Maybe in 1988
Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Vote_lcap67%Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Vote_rcap
 67% [ 18 ]
I am with Unc. F them and Uncle Ted
Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Vote_lcap7%Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 27

AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Empty
PostSubject: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 2:49 pm

Let's make this official. I realize I am in the minority, but let it be.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 2:57 pm

I went for Kinda - Maybe in 1988 but what I mean is definitely in 1988, as that was when I saw them take the f%king roof off Rock City Nottingham just as they were blowing up. Still one of the best gigs I've ever seen and I was listening exclusively to thrash and punk at the time but they were so good!

By the time the Illusion albums rolled around, not so much!
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 3:33 pm

i think they've got a couple killer songs (and the live at the ritz performance is good shit), but overall they're a band i never really listen to. & i'd die a happy man if i never had to hear welcome to the jungle, paradise city, sweet child o' mine, or november rain ever again.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 3:46 pm

It pains me to say it, but I'm voting "kinda".

They're currently a shell of a former great band and if they do manage to squeeze out another recording, it'll never compare to the albums of the past.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 4:14 pm

No

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Appetite For Destruction - si.
Everything else - no bueno.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 5:38 pm

Appetite plus a few other songs and that's it. I think they're more famous now for how big an ASS Axl is.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 5:41 pm

In my reality, only four GnR albums exist, and they're masterpieces: Appetite, Lies, Illusion 1, and Illusion 2. That is my definitive definition of this once-great group.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 6:03 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Appetite plus a few other songs and that's it. I think they're more famous now for how big an ASS Axl is.

I second this opinion.

I'll never forget the first time I heard "November Rain" and I had the same reaction I had the first time I heard "Amanda" from Boston's "Third Stage" album..."We waited x years for this?????"

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 6:44 pm

Appetite is a rookie masterpiece. Everything else hit or miss with lots of misses.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 7:14 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Appetite is a rookie masterpiece. Everything else hit or miss with lots of misses.

Ya know, I typically refer to that phenomenon as "Boston Syndrome" but thinking about the vast chasm of quality between Boston's debut and Guns n Roses debut compared to both bands' sophomore releases I think I might need to rebrand the phenomenon as "GnR Syndrome" because in my opinion GnR's second release(s) are much worse than Boston II.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 7:40 pm

They were an awesome band at one time. Everything up to and including both Illusions is all I'll ever need from them.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 8:46 pm

I voted "Kinda - 1988" as by '91 I was done. When they came along in 1987, I was absolutely floored and played Appetite over and over and watched the concert I taped off MTV more times than I can remember. But, to be honest, by the time "Sweet Child" came out the bloom was off the rose. They became too overblown and pompous with the Use Your Illusion albums. The break up and all the drama around Chines Democracy only served to weaken my interest in the band.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 9:47 pm

A time and a place...but both are long gone in my rear view mirror and memories. A breath of fresh air on a once great music scene that quickly became as repugnant as a wet ashtray and stinky pu$$y.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 10:47 pm

James B. wrote:
A time and a place...but both are long gone in my rear view mirror and memories.  A breath of fresh air on a once great music scene that quickly became as repugnant as a wet ashtray and stinky pu$$y.

lol stinky pussy.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 11:26 pm

Appetite is one of the best albums ever released. There's one great album of songs between the two Illusion albums. Chinese Democracy is a joke.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 11:28 pm

Kinda. Appetite is amazing and they have a few other great tracks from the Use your Illusion albums. But that's it. Still would love to see them put out a great record again.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 11:31 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Appetite is one of the best albums ever released. There's one great album of songs between the two Illusion albums. Chinese Democracy is a joke.

Street of dreams is one very good track. Shows that Guns can still write good material if they really want to.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 4:50 am

They were at one time. Sadly not anymore.Appetite and Lies are great, after that it’s sketchy.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 6:38 am

For it was always AFD. Never really cared for Lies or UYI. I think I like "The Spaghetti Incident" better than UYI as there are a still a few songs from that one that I listen to more than anything from UYI.

But I gotta say I also enjoy the deluxe version of Appetite. Disc 2 has some great, raw songs.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 1:49 pm

I'm weird. I like almost every track off the Illusion albums. Great jams. Had to hide those CD's from my mom growing up; maybe that's why I have such a strong connection to them. It was a rare treat to spin those on the ol' Discman.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 2:30 pm

No! If there was another option for "Shittiest band to ever exist ever" that would be my choice! I remember seeing them on MTV the 1st time they ever aired this garbage band's debut video and I wanted to throw up profusely. I hated it and they became super huge. When the Illusion albums came along, I had the same reaction. I still despise this band more than any band in history!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 3:53 pm

Their heyday has definitely passed... but they were great in the beginning.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 5:02 pm

I like hair metal, but GnR never really did it for me. I do own Appetite and find it worth holding on to. Though I'm not sure why, because I haven't played it in years.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2019 5:04 pm

Lari wrote:
I like hair metal, but GnR never really did it for me. I do own Appetite and find it worth holding on to. Though I'm not sure why, because I haven't played it in years.

Though they were lumped in with the MTV pop metal bands of the era, I never thought of them as such. Just raunchy, aggressive hard rock. Tons of bark AND bite.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next