Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019

Go down 
+25
akeldama
Wurthless
Wargod
mikeinfla
Addy
glassprison
ZombieHavoc
Boris2008
the sentinel
Witchfinder
SideShowDisaSter
Thelemech
corplhicks
martinsane
Wrecked Neck
MetalGuy71
nevermore
Required Fields
manny
Leatherface
James B.
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28 ... 44  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2019 6:02 am

The Goldbergs
Schooled
Modern Family
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Just watched a kewl documentary on Randy Castillo.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2019 4:43 am

Good Day to Die Hard
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2019 5:37 am

Supernatural
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2019 9:40 am

Finished up Break Bad and moved on to Better Call Saul. It's great as well! Have watched the first 2 episodes. Tuco!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2019 8:30 pm

Scoping out some more episodes of "The Expanse", and late last night I tried out "The Originals".

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2019 8:38 am

"Death By Metal" (2016)

A cool documentary examining the life and career of extreme metal pioneer Chuck Schuldiner of Death fame, whose early records put death metal on the map while his later work pushed the boundaries of the genre's often-rigid "rules." Sadly, his battle with an aggressive cancer took his life just as he was poised to make a new breakthrough with his Control Denied project. Commentary by former band mates and associates incl. Gene Hoglan, Rick Rozz, Chris Reifert, Jim Morris and many others is surrounded by lots of vintage live clips and photos. A cool trip down memory lane for Death fans and metal trivia nerds in general.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2019 11:22 am

Black Hawk Down and Widows
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2019 3:11 pm

The Enemy Within
Blacklist
Blindspot
Seal Team

Wargod60
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2019 2:54 pm

Austin City Limits with Norah Jones and Angel Olson
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2019 9:32 pm

I watched the new episodes of The Simpsons and Family Guy tonight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2019 9:51 pm

Required Fields wrote:
I watched the new episodes of The Simpsons and Family Guy tonight.

Same here.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 6:28 am

The Walking Dead
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 7:45 am

James B. wrote:
Just watched a kewl documentary on Randy Castillo.

Where? I would like to see this! I met him on the "No More Tours" tour and he was the nicest of the bunch. Such a down to earth guy he signed my CD.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 10:04 am

Finished up Disc 3 of "The Vietnam War".  What a lying sack of sh*t LBJ was.  They talk to a former Green Beret who was there and he says that's what pisses him off most.  It's one thing to make policy mistakes like LBJ's predecessors did but to try to cover it up and lie about it is what makes him angry.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 11:04 am

Cool doc on Netflix last night. The Miami Showband Massacre.

It gets a little muddled towards the end as I couldn't determine who was the good guys or the bad guys. Still interesting.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 11:09 am

Spider-Man:Into The Spider-Verse (2018)

Origin story for Mile Morales , the Spider-Man of his reality. He ends up teaming up with 5 counter parts from other realities to stop a threat to all realities. Surprisingly good animated film with plenty of easter eggs for comic book fan boys.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 11:26 am

tohostudios wrote:
Finished up Disc 3 of "The Vietnam War".  What a lying sack of sh*t LBJ was.  They talk to a former Green Beret who was there and he says that's what pisses him off most.  It's one thing to make policy mistakes like LBJ's predecessors did but to try to cover it up and lie about it is what makes him angry.

You should talk to Manny about some of this stuff. He really knows his shit when it comes to 60's politics and LBJ/JFK in general. Gave me some fresh perspective on LBJ, whom I'm still not a fan of but can see him in a more human light at least.

There's an acclaimed doc on Nam, Hearts and Minds (1974) that I lost sleep over when I first saw it. It left me with a sense of rage and fear.

I do love Burns' material. Just wish I had more time for it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 8:50 pm

Started Disc 4 of "The Vietnam War" today.  It opened with a pre-credit interview from Army adviser Sam Wilson.

Quote :
“We are prisoners of our own experience. And many of the things that we learned in WWII were not applicable to the war in Vietnam. We simply thought that we would go in with a sledgehammer, knock things down, clean them up and it would be all over. And it’s very, very difficult to dispel ignorance if you retain arrogance.”

That last sentence speaks volumes and is applicable to life in general.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 9:33 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Its a bit more complicated than LBJ being a lying sack of shit, LBJ like JFK, Eisenhower and Truman believed in the dominion theory, also LBJ inherited a deteriorating situation in Vietnam, keep in mind that South Vietnamese president had been assassinated just a few months before JFK. LBJ had no love for what he called that 'bitch of war'.

Anyway this would be discussion best had over a few beers, wish you cats lived closer.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 9:54 pm

Oh yeah, it's obviously very complicated and lots of blame to go around across multiple countries and multiple US presidential administrations.  But so far in this doc they've used phrases like "America must not know" or "...to be kept from the public..." a lot more in conjunction with LBJ than the JFK or Eisenhower administrations.  Granted that could be Ken Burns' bias but it sure comes across as LBJ worrying about covering his ass more than others did.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Oh yeah, it's obviously very complicated and lots of blame to go around across multiple countries and multiple US presidential administrations.  But so far in this doc they've used phrases like "America must not know" or "...to be kept from the public..." a lot more in conjunction with LBJ than the JFK or Eisenhower administrations.  Granted that could be Ken Burns' bias but it sure comes across as LBJ worrying about covering his ass more than others did.

I think there is some truth to it being Ken Burns bias on his part, but if I grow up during that era, I am sure I would share some those same bias but also LBJ looking for political cover. LBJ had just ended segregation with the Civil Rights Act of 1964, passed a Voting Rights Act of 1965, created Headstart, Public Television,  and he was about to put in the first African- American to the Supreme Court, so he purposely down played the cost of the war, because he was afraid the war in South East Asia was about to collide with his domestic agenda.

Last edited by manny on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 10:11 pm

The doc actually brought that point up; that LBJ was afraid the public would focus more on the war in Vietnam than his domestic agenda.

What I'm finding most interesting about watching this series is that I really have no ax to grind in this at all; some of what I'm learning happened before I was even born and almost all of it happened before I was 10 years old so I don't remember very much about the Vietnam war at all.  That's why I wanted to watch this series; it happened during my lifetime but I knew next to nothing at all about it and I feel like I should. 

So basically I'm watching this as a blank slate, a sponge. The only agenda I brought to the whole subject was the shabby treatment Vietnam vets received upon returning home; that's just plain wrong in my book.  Other than that I really had no opinions whatsoever going in because I have no recollection of any of it.

So any counterpoint you can provide is welcome Manny.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 10:14 pm

tohostudios wrote:
The doc actually brought that point up; that LBJ was afraid the public would focus more on the war in Vietnam than his domestic agenda.

What I'm finding most interesting about watching this series is that I really have no ax to grind in this at all; some of what I'm learning happened before I was even born and almost all of it happened before I was 10 years old so I don't remember very much about the Vietnam war at all.  That's why I wanted to watch this series; it happened during my lifetime but I knew next to nothing at all about it and I feel like I should. 

So basically I'm watching this as a blank slate, a sponge. The only agenda I brought to the whole subject was the shabby treatment Vietnam vets received upon returning home; that's just plain wrong in my book.  Other than that I really had no opinions whatsoever going in because I have no recollection of any of it.

So any counterpoint you can provide is welcome Manny.

I did not think you had any axe to grind, and personally I was moved by the documentary, because it gave you a point of view of some of the politics of the time, but also it focused on the solider's stories. I found those stories moving, admired their bravery and made me wonder what the whole point of that damn war was.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2019 10:19 pm

Yeah so far that's my biggest takeaway from this.  The whole way the US got involved was basically a big CF.  Mistakes in foreign policy, Cold War/Communist paranoia, bad intel...each mistake just compounded previous ones until the US was in too deep to get out. But what was the point?  There was none.

And I still blame France.  If they had just given up the idea of global colonization a decade before they did, none of this would have happened.

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019   TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019 - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TODAY I WATCHED... (Movies, TV) 2019
Page 13 of 44Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28 ... 44  Next