Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019

Go down 
+15
corplhicks
Wrecked Neck
Thelemech
Thrasher73
Troublezone
Required Fields
James B.
nevermore
the sentinel
Dark Horseman
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Gilbert
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2019 6:05 pm

^^Are these worth watching? I usually don't dig into promotional docs much because they tend to be skin deep, but I'm wondering if these installments might be a bit more meat.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37647

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2019 9:18 pm

I thought they were a fun watch. I could listen to Blitz and DD talk about the "old days" all day long.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 12:10 pm

corplhicks wrote:
^^Are these worth watching? I usually don't dig into promotional docs much because they tend to be skin deep, but I'm wondering if these installments might be a bit more meat.

Yea, I found them to be pretty entertaining, in a nostalgic sorta way. Blitz reminds me of a guy I work with.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28447

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2019 10:24 pm

I received my shirt for the new album in the mail a few days ago. I was pretty disappointed that the CD didn't arrive by the end of the week, but it should arrive probably on Monday or Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Reviewed "The Wings of War" on my blog this weekend:

New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 14427275_f520

https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Overkill-The-Wings-of-War-Album-Review

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 7:15 am

Great review Keith! I got my copy in the mail earlier today. Unfortunately I will not be able to spin it before a week as i am travelling for work. Will surely pick up a few cds while abroad.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 12:40 pm

^^ Thanx Gil!

The boys put up the final installment of the "Welcome to the Garden State" documentary today. Looks like the longest one yet, at nearly 20 minutes! Will check this out over lunch...

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 2:59 pm

^^Was able to check out those docs last night, really enjoyable! I need to catch this last one. We need more casual-speak documentaries like this one. Watching these guys speak so frankly made me want to meet them face-to-face even more.

Cool things learned so far:
-So the Overkill name was a random group effort? I thought this whole time that they just snagged it from Motorhead.
-Nice mention of Green Manalishi as a benchmark for vocalists back in the day.
-So Dave and Jason hate punk, apparently.
-Loved how they addressed the relationship and networking between East Coast and West Coast thrash. Fascinating. Born a decade too late, dammit...
-The amount of clubs mentioned in NJ is staggering!
-So Blitz hates filming music videos, apparently.
-"Hello from the Gutter" has always been one of my favorite music videos and it was cool to hear them discuss it. Someone show youtube to Derek for god's sake!
-DD mentioned CD "longbooks"! Laughing
-Bobby and DD make the perfect heavy metal superhero team. Glad to see they're still healthy and possibly immortal.

Really cool and made me want to get out that Rat Skates doc again. Glad I listened to you guys.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Quote :

Sadly, just about every one of the venues mentioned is long defunct. (SIGH)

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I figured, sad. I'm guessing the ones that survived turned into rave joints or dives?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 3:44 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I figured, sad. I'm guessing the ones that survived turned into rave joints or dives?

Probably, or they've been torn down altogether. I know the Fastlane in Asbury Park had its date with the wrecking ball five or six years ago.

The land where The Birch Hill (their billboard was shown prominently in at least one of these segments) once stood is now a condo complex. Freakin' progress. Laughing very hard

The building where L'amour in Brooklyn was is still standing, but last I heard it was being used as a factory/warehouse.

The Showplace in Dover, NJ (which was also the site of Metallica's first show w/Kirk Hammett) is still in operation with the same name, but now it's strictly a go-go bar, no live music. I used to work not far from Dover so I always had half a mind to go for a drive past just to get a look at the place, but never did.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 4:30 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

The Galaxy and the Cellblock were in Philly. And both are long gone.

The Galaxy (where Cinderella and Britney Fox got noticed) was taken over by the roller skating rink attached to it but I think even that is now closed. The Cellblock (a former steakhouse restaurant turned rock club) was leveled completely and is now a storage company.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2019 1:26 pm

I've listened to the album four times, and though I like it, I don't think this will ever be an Overkill album which would supplant anything in my Top 10 for them. The band is consistently good, but I'm not feeling it, like I was with "Ironbound" or "The Electric Age". I'm sure it will still grow on me. I can state this with impunity, I don't like "In Ashes". That chorus is one of the worst ever from Overkill.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28447

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 6:33 pm

I bought The Wings of War for Scott's birthday. He opened the parcel in his new video.

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 6:13 am

This album is so, so good. Really, Overkill might be on the best roll of any band I can think of in this decade, starting with Ironbound. To me they haven't written a bad song in a decade! Vocals still have all their power and range and the music is blazing and tight. Love!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019   New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019 - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Overkill "The Wings of War" out Feb. 2019
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4