Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modern Production

Go down 
+10
MetalGuy71
Glower
Shawn Of Fire
mikeinfla
glassprison
Gilbert
Troublezone
Lari
Temple of Blood
Highway Star
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Modern Production - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 4:12 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Lari wrote:
What's even worse is trying to artificially make your band sound poor, ie. St.Anger.

I still can't believe the band listened to the final masters and said "Yup, sounds good. We're done here".

For some reason, Lars gets off by sabotaging his own band's albums. Starting with turning the bass guitar down to nearly nonexistent, to the horrible "garage drums" on St Anger and signing off on the brickwalling for Death Magnetic. James is the cowardly lion that lets him have his way!

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 4:13 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Well, that's not the same because guitar players still have to play the part and a programmed part doesn't need to be played at all.

Samples to me are not bad at all, just overused perhaps.  Same with re-amping.  But it's fine, really IMHO.

Yeah, they still have to play the part. Recording clean then dialing in an amp tone is re-amping. That's what I am talking about.

But the kind of drums I am talking about happen all the time and I bet people don't even notice. So many albums don't have actual drummers playing on them, but they totally sound like they do. Even more than that record on a midi-kit (with the drummer playing), edit the notes to be in time with the click, then apply the live-drum samples later.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Fear Factory are another band that are notorious for utilizing fake drums. At one time, they had Gene Hoglan playing for them and they actually fired him to just use a drum machine!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 4:22 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
SO many albums (I'm talking Rock/Metal albums) have been made in the last 10 years using computer-programmed drums that utilize live drum sounds via samples. It's the same as guitarists recording direct with a clean signal, then dialing in an amp tone from a box or piece of software during mix. It happens all day, every day.

I can't remember which album it was, but Devin Townsend said that every snare hit on this album is the one from Metallica's "Sad But True." Haha.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Fear Factory are another band that are notorious for utilizing fake drums. At one time, they had Gene Hoglan playing for them and they actually fired him to just use a drum machine!

I'm sure they were broken and couldn't afford him, then tried to justify it as a creative decision.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 10:35 pm

I can deal with the "clean, sterile" production ( I am not saying I like it, but I can listen to it) but I can't stand the brick walling or the audible "clicking" which I think is from compression. I make a lot of mix cd's and they all have a them or genre and it's funny when something from the early '80's is so soft and then something from the mid 2000's is just blaring and static sounding.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 11:47 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I'm sure they were broken and couldn't afford him, then tried to justify it as a creative decision.

I don't think they (Burt & Dino) didn't have the money... I think they just simply wanted to split the money 2 ways. The bass player probably gets peanuts.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
You know this for fact or are you saying you can tell by listening? And what's your definition of fake drums? Sampled effects? Electric drum beats? Inverted coffee cans? I'm not trying to bust balls or anything here. I'm genuinely curious how one can tell when it's not obvious.

Yeah, it's a fact.  Both artists have said they used drum machines on a few albums.

Do you think you would have known just by listening to them though? Is it that obvious?

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Do you think you would have known just by listening to them though? Is it that obvious?

Crimson Glory sounds suspicious.  "The Eye" was obvious. Especially obvious that it is not at all Snowy Shaw's style of drumming. His style is very distinct.
Back to top Go down
Highway Star
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Highway Star

Number of posts : 480

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Here is a pretty good link that shows dynamic range of many albums. To search by artist click on the drop down box in the upper right corner. 

http://dr.loudness-war.info/
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2018 10:51 pm

I do love the production on Iron Savior's albums.
Back to top Go down
Highway Star
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Highway Star

Number of posts : 480

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 am

the sentinel wrote:
I can deal with the "clean, sterile" production ( I am not saying I like it, but I can listen to it) but I can't stand the brick walling or the audible "clicking" which I think is from compression. I make a lot of mix cd's and they all have a them or genre and it's funny when something from the early '80's is so soft and then something from the mid 2000's is just blaring and static sounding.

Exactly, most CDs now are blaring and loud to the point of hurting your ears even when played at low volume. The early disc from the 80s can be played at high volume and still sound great
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2018 6:09 pm

This one goes deep into modern pop music production.

It partially applies to heavy metal as well. Metal listenership in general is too fragmented and there's maybe not enough money in it to make this apply to most bands, and usually great bands emerge to create something new. But then that first band is quickly followed by a horde of bands pushed by labels using these pop music methods. It was glam metal first, then grunge (and post-grunge), then nu-metal, then metalcore.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2018 11:45 pm

I've got a couple of black metal albums that I'm pretty sure were made completely with a computer and it genuinely doesn't bother me, I like them

The problem for me is when everyone is using the same techniques to achieve the same sound but that happened in the 80's too (that godawful pop metal/AOR drum sound! sick )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modern Production
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2