Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What bands are next to retire?

Go down 
+13
MetalGuy71
candlemass
Shawn Of Fire
Olafsto
Lari
glassprison
Gilbert
Wrecked Neck
the sentinel
manny
Fat Freddy
Boris2008
Troublezone
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 11:50 am

manny wrote:
I know Deep Purple will call it a day once the tour ends, this year marking the 50th anniversary of their debut's release.

If Van Halen do return, I am sure they will call it a day. Alex Van Halen's health problems making that the main reason why. I am sure sooner than later, Queen will retire the name.

I don't see Queen stopping anytime soon. Brian seems to be rejuvenated with the new singer and from most reports, he's doing a fine job. Even if Roger Taylor decided to call it quits, I could see Brian and Adam Lambert soldiering on.

Aerosmith keeps hinting around that they might be calling it quits as well, but who knows. They're closing in on 50 years together. Joe Perry and Brad Whitford don't have a problem keeping on from what I've read.

KISS? I've been saying that the KISS brand will live on forever. They can slap the make-up on anyone and carry-on until the end of days. As for Gene & Paul, I could see them doing more shows without the make-up and theatrics. Scaling everything back, playing smaller venues and deeper cuts. Seems like they've been doing that more already on the KISS cruises and expos, so why stop now.

Really, as long there are to physical limitations, no musician really retires. They're artists. They make music and will continue to do so as long as they're able. It might not be of the same caliber as their younger days, but why should they stop. Look at the old old blues guys that played into their 70's and 80's. It's what they do.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 11:54 am

candlemass wrote:
Ozzy should...

He keeps saying that he will, but Sharon's not ready to let that happen. They need to film him more so they have plenty of footage to use when they're preparing the hologram.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 11:56 am

I keep wondering if Halford will retire and they will try to bring Owens back. Unlikely, but possible I think. I could see Ian Hill backing out at this point though.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
 I could see Ian Hill backing out at this point though.

Would anyone notice?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 7:23 am

candlemass wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Would anyone notice?

His rocking horse stage move is legendary!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 10:01 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
candlemass wrote:
Ozzy should...

He keeps saying that he will, but Sharon's not ready to let that happen. They need to film him more so they have plenty of footage to use when they're preparing the hologram.

this tour he's going to do is a farewell tour i read though it will go for a few years , I love him on Ozzy and Jack hehe
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2018 5:48 pm

candlemass wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Would anyone notice?

I just looked. Ian's 67. Glenn is 70(!) and Rob's only 66. I'd think Glenn would hang up the red leather trousers before the rest of 'em are ready to pack it in.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 pm

Sounds like Lynyrd Skynyrd is calling it quits too...

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/lynyrd-skynyrd-announce-farewell-tour

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 3:11 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I just looked. Ian's 67. Glenn is 70(!) and Rob's only 66. I'd think Glenn would hang up the red leather trousers before the rest of 'em are ready to pack it in.

Interesting. I think metal is much harder on drummers and singers than guitarists though.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 3:36 pm

I think now that Priest have Ritchie Faulkner, he can cover any slack that Glenn may have. He really did help breathe new life in the band.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 4:14 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I think now that Priest have Ritchie Faulkner, he can cover any slack that Glenn may have. He really did help breathe new life in the band.

I don't think so.  His solos don't stand out to me and I would take "Nostradamus" any day over what I heard from Firepower or from RoS.

I don't think anyone thought his playing (besides his technique) or songwriting were noteworthy before. So then he gets a promotion to one of the best metal bands of all-time?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 4:38 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I don't think so.  His solos don't stand out to me and I would take "Nostradamus" any day over what I heard from Firepower or from RoS.

I don't think anyone thought his playing (besides his technique) or songwriting were noteworthy before.  So then he gets a promotion to one of the best metal bands of all-time?

It would not matter as long as he could play the solos live.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 6:13 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I get that, except that his new role that he got promoted to is writing solos and songs for Judas Priest, easily one of the biggest and most influential metal bands ever. Was anyone inspired by his stuff pre-JP? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no.

On the other hand, Scott Travis was an impressive drummer for Racer X and deserved the promotion.

I have to wonder how much of RF's merit to join was based on how similar he looks to young KK.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 6:44 pm

[quote="Temple of Blood"]
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Was anyone inspired by his stuff pre-JP?  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no.

Everyone starts somewhere. Everyone needs that break.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I don't think anyone thought his playing (besides his technique) or songwriting were noteworthy before.  So then he gets a promotion to one of the best metal bands of all-time?

Since they've cut back their touring schedule, Priest seems to be somewhat rejuvenated. I don't think they're quitting anytime soon. I think they'll keep going until they can't anymore or someone (re: Rob or Glenn) dies.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 4:55 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I don't know about his songwriting, but his playing was phenomenal. He reminded me of Zakk Wylde, but with a more versatile and classic approach, when I saw him with Lauren Harris. He stole the show.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 10:52 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Was anyone inspired by his stuff pre-JP?  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no.

Everyone starts somewhere. Everyone needs that break.

I agree! He's still young and was just learning before he joined Priest. Some guys think you need a perfect resume. Rolling Eyes

Just sour grapes...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Ritchie is definitely influenced by Zakk Wylde, but without all the excessive pinch harmonics. Smile
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 4:00 pm

glassprison wrote:
Quote :
I think the obvious choice is Iron Maiden. Bruce has already hinted in the past...

Given their penchant for doing themed tours (the current tour is themed after the Legacy of the Beast comic), I think they will definitely make a big deal out of their "final" tour, probably trying to include songs from as many albums as possible. I imagine they have at least one more album in them before that happens. It would be cool to see Paul Di'Anno and Blaze Bayley involved in that kind of comprehensive tour. If any band was going to take the initiative to involve former members I think Iron Maiden would be the most inclined to do so.

I would think they put out one more album after this touring cycle (2018 - 2019). Looking at 2020 new album, 2020-21 tour and that could be it. I don't see Iron Maiden doing a farewell tour, but rather announce a last set of shows, which I would bet will be in London. If they do keep the cycle they have been on since the reunion, it would be a 2022-23 history tour.

It's probably going to be down to how long Nicko and Bruce can keep going.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Ritchie is definitely influenced by Zakk Wylde, but without all the excessive pinch harmonics.  Smile

The usual influences plus Zakk.... You can head Maiden/Priest/Sabbath/etc in his playing/writing. He is closer to KK in style than to Glenn, which is probably why it works.

When I say the Priest gig where BLS opened, Richie's solo > Zak's solo (lots of comments after the gig similar thoughts).

Richie is a great player. Other bands? He was paying with Lauren Harris so not writing metal epics.... He did have that Zakk look when I saw him with Lauren..... Priest got lucky they found him - the playing and his look fit right in with Priest... they just had to but him a few V's and put his Les Pauls down.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 2:56 pm

I think with the news today, we can add Judas Priest to that list.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 12, 2018 4:28 pm

nevermore wrote:
I think with the news today, we can add Judas Priest to that list.

Or not. Maybe they'll continue with a younger lineup. Tipton can stay another decade as a backstage songwriter, and then this babies can go fly on their own.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What bands are next to retire?   What bands are next to retire? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What bands are next to retire?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2