Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town

Go down 
+13
Lari
Shawn Of Fire
anthrax_fan
Addy
Big Rich
Boris2008
Thrasher73
Gilbert
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
Stender
Wrecked Neck
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 9:26 am

If they are unknown, how would I know about them?
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 11:00 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Raleigh NC - WALPYRGUS

Wilmington NC - WIDOW

Both of these bands are great!! But I was thinking Widow was from Raleigh too. And pimp your band Shawn!!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 5:16 am

Widow is great Nevermore! Love their stuff.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 8:18 am

Elkin NC - FINAL SIGN

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 11:05 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Elkin NC - FINAL SIGN

headbanger
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 1:54 pm

I remember seeing these guys when I was going to be a junior in high school at the battle of the bands in the summer of 87' or perhaps it was when I moved away and came back to Indy in October of that same year. These guys were pretty good and my favorite band from the Indianapolis area. These are the two demos that I'm familiar with.

Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 3:44 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
I remember seeing these guys when I was going to be a junior in high school at the battle of the bands in the summer of 87' or perhaps it was when I moved away and came back to Indy in October of that same year. These guys were pretty good and my favorite band from the Indianapolis area. These are the two demos that I'm familiar with.

The second one is way better. Love that sound, though. Brings me back to the good ol' tape-trading days!!! Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 4:58 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

The second one is way better.  Love that sound, though.  Brings me back to the good ol' tape-trading days!!!  Good stuff.

Yeah, the musicianship got marginally better AND it's just a better sounding demo. When I moved to Illinois, I had buddies that would tape a metal show on the radio that emanated from the south side of Indy, probably like 87 or 88. something. This was a show that would be on some random night for like three hours, coming out of the local college or high school??? Drop Dead would get some play, along with the main thrash artists. This station was how I discovered Slayer in 1986. My buddies and I heard "Jesus Saves" and couldn't f*cking believe our ears. By that time, I was already into Metallica and Megadeth (just barely), but we couldn't believe there was something even faster! It's weird to think, but this was how we discovered this shit! It was either getting lucky, by hearing it on some radio station, which probably had a radius of 20 miles in either direction or just taking a chance on something at the record store. My funds seemed to be more limited back then (compared to some of my friends), so I was the one usually trying to convince them to take a chance on it ( ha ha...). I usually got pretty lucky, when I picked something up blind, but I probably badgered the guy in the record store about what each band sounded like.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 5:12 pm

So, here's three more demos from Drop Dead. I know the lineup never changed, but man, Jason Smith (I think that was the vocalist name), sounds different here.

They had another demo, called "March of Empire" (1990), which doesn't seem to be on YouTube

...and by the way, me and my white friends, thought it was so cool that Drop Dead had a black member in the band, who just happened to be the guitarist. In 1987, I had only been listening to metal for maybe three years, and had never heard of Katon De Pena, so as far as I was concerned, he was the first (ha ha..)
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 5:12 pm

Neato. love these threads. I see some Portland, Oregon being represented. Here are a few others from the Pacific NW (Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, et al).

Seattle' WA's Invader:

Tacoma, Washington's Mister Grinch:

Auburn, Washington's Near Infinity:

Tacoma, WA's Villan:

Seattle, WA's Mistrust with a familiar singer...

Kirkland, WA's Upper Echelon:

Bellevue, WA's Strike:

Seattle's Gypsy Rose:

Tacoma's Re-Activate:

Everett's Requiem:

Seattle's Deviant:

Seattle's Teacher's Pett:

Seattle's Discovery who morphed into Held Under. Stormspell released a killer package for these guys:

Olympia's Cyperus:

And a McMillion more. the PNW area was a hotbed for killer bands!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 9:45 pm

This band...

Turned into this band...

And then this band, which I imagine most of you wouldn't like...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 am

Anvil B*tch

These guys were from Philly, although their time came and went before I was old enough or metal enough to attend shows. I have some older buddies that saw them in the clubs back in the day though.

MAGGOT INFESTATION!!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 am

Revenant was from my neck o' the woods ... they put out an album on Nuclear Blast back in the day.
They were the local "go-to" opener for pretty much every thrash/death metal show in our area Very Happy

On the more extreme side of things we had O.L.D., aka Old Lady Drivers (previously known as Regurgitation). The drummer on their first album went to my high school, he and my brother were buddies.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town   Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cool unknown traditional [or other] metal from your town
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2