Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Machine Head - Catharsis

Go down 
+13
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Thrasher73
Troublezone
nevermore
Boris2008
Heavy Metal Ninja
Gilbert
mc666
Wrecked Neck
Eyesore
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 9:59 am

Machine Head is a just another example of a band that I'm glad I haven't invested much dollar wise or time wise. Can you imagine the reaction of the die hard Machine Head fan who first bought their debut album in 1994, who was an impressionable 16 year old at the time and what their feeling might be regarding this? If I were a die hard fan of this band, I would find it impossible to sell someone on the merits of a song like this. Thank God, I don't have to...
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 5:27 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Machine Head is a just another example of a band that I'm glad I haven't invested much dollar wise or time wise. Can you imagine the reaction of the die hard Machine Head fan who first bought their debut album in 1994, who was an impressionable 16 year old at the time and what their feeling might be regarding this? If I were a die hard fan of this band, I would find it impossible to sell someone on the merits of a song like this. Thank God, I don't have to...

But 1994 was nearly 25 years ago. The band has been playing heavy music ever since, even when they tried to go a bit more mainstream on The Burning Red and Supercharger. This is just one song, after all. In the grand scheme of things, it's insignificant.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 6:28 pm

I've heard they rap on the new album a lot from other people. Is this true?

Besides, even on The Burning Red and Supercharger, it was only on a couple of songs on each album (and one of the songs on the latter was only a bonus track). I may not like those albums, but the vast majority of the songs have no rapping at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Required Fields wrote:

Besides, even on The Burning Red and Supercharger, it was only on a couple of songs on each album (and one of the songs on the latter was only a bonus track). I may not like those albums, but the vast majority of the songs have no rapping at all.

Flynn has always been accused of rapping, even back on Burn My Eyes. Either way, he did say there is some rapping on this album. Fine by me if the songs are good. I love rap-metal.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 6:45 am

Eyesore wrote:
So...uh...

surprised

I love Dropkick Murphys. I love Flogging Molly. I love Machine Head. I don't know if love Machine Head doing Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly. What the hell is going on here?

I'm totally open to bands trying new things...but this is confusing. Haha.

Forgetting the fact that it's Machine Head for a moment. I really, really like that! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
So...uh...

surprised

I love Dropkick Murphys. I love Flogging Molly. I love Machine Head. I don't know if love Machine Head doing Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly. What the hell is going on here?

I'm totally open to bands trying new things...but this is confusing. Haha.

Forgetting the fact that it's Machine Head for a moment. I really, really like that! Very Happy  

That's the only problem with the song: it's Machine Head. I'll get over it, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2018 11:00 am

Eyesore wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

Flynn has always been accused of rapping, even back on Burn My Eyes. Either way, he did say there is some rapping on this album. Fine by me if the songs are good. I love rap-metal.

Yeah, but the songs I was referring to are pretty much the only song he really full throttle raps on.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 9:44 am

One other thing about Robb Flynn; is it just me, or does he not age? He's in his 50s now, but he hardly looks any older than he did when Burn My Eyes was released.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2018 10:26 am

Required Fields wrote:
One other thing about Robb Flynn; is it just me, or does he not age? He's in his 50s now, but he hardly looks any older than he did when Burn My Eyes was released.

Haha, true lol!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 4:15 am

Okay, so I dig this new album. It is different, though. Comparisons to The Burning Red aren't really accurate. Yeah, there are a lot of nu-metal-ish grooves, but it's still different from that one. There are some killer songs, though, and a few not so great.

Very good album overall. Like most of their albums, it stands uniquely on its own, with a distinct sound and style different from the others.

The hate directed toward this one is baffling, though I guess not surprising in this day and age.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 7:01 am

I'm sure the hate toward this album has something to do with them regressing back to the nu-metal style that was not popular with most fans. The Blackening is when they started getting more acclaim and respect. Now he seems inconsistent and trying to hard to "be different".
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 10:00 am

It doesn't sound like nu-metal to me, just like modern "heavy" radio rock.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 11:35 am

Flynn may not age in appearance but he takes selfies in his diapers. Shocked
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 12:15 pm

I like Machine Head but have not followed their career closely. I know fans online bitch everytime they release a new album, compelling that they sold out, why can't they make an album like their debut etc etc, I liked the new song but Temple of Doom is right, this is more modern rock than the heavier metal of yesteryear.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2018 1:17 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Listen to Triple Beam... It's rap rock that would make Fred Durst proud.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 02, 2018 3:24 am

Troublezone wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I love rap-rock, rapcore, whatever you want to call it, and that song is not rap-rock. Yeah, there's a bit of rapping, but it's still not the same.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 1:34 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I love rap-rock, rapcore, whatever you want to call it, and that song is not rap-rock. Yeah, there's a bit of rapping, but it's still not the same.

I used to like Stuck Mojo, but more for the music and Rich Ward's riffs.
But recently I gotta say, the best rap metal I've heard is probably the new Body Count album.

BTW, what is your definition of "rap rock"? To me, if there is a rock or metal riff with rapping over it, do the math...
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 am

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

But recently I gotta say, the best rap metal I've heard is probably the new Body Count album.

BTW, what is your definition of "rap rock"? To me, if there is a rock or metal riff with rapping over it, do the math...

For me, it's gotta feel like hip hop mixed with metal/rock. Just having a rap-type vocal delivery just doesn't get it there. It's a "whole package" kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2018 5:14 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

For me, it's gotta feel like hip hop mixed with metal/rock. Just having a rap-type vocal delivery just doesn't get it there. It's a "whole package" kind of thing.

Fair enough... Everyone has a different way of looking at things.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 12:27 am

Eyesore wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

I never heard people call his vocals rapping on Burn My Eyes.

I was only nine when it was released, and didn't hear the whole album until my teens (although I heard Davidian already).

But there are no songs with rapping.

Some people may crucify me for this, but this song here is way closer to having rapping on it than any song from that album combined.

I'm not bashing the song at all, it's one of the most awesome metal songs of the 1990s. But anyone who accuses any song from BME of having rapped vocals automatically has to call this song's vocals rapping, too.

Last edited by Required Fields on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 1:02 am

Required Fields wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

I was only nine when it was released, and didn't hear the whole album until my teens (although I heard Davidian already).

Some people may crucify me for this, but this song here is way closer to having rapping on it than any song from that album combined.

I'm not bashing the song at all, it's one of the most awesome metal songs of the 1990s. But anyone who accuses any song from BME of having rapped vocals, then they automatically have to call this song's vocals rapping, too.

Yeah, that isn't rapping at all.

As for Burn My Eyes, many people have claimed that he raps on songs like "Old," "A Thousand Lies," and "Block." Because apparently a quasi-staccato vocal approach equates to rapping when you want to insult a band to justify your superior tastes in music. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 1:17 am

I never heard anyone say they think Burn My Eyes has rapping... I only know that The Burning Red and maybe Supercharger have songs with a strong rap influence. And the new song Tripple Beam.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 9:39 am

I also have never heard a single person say "Burn my Eyes" had rapping. Need proof that this was ever a criticism. Certainly not a popular one.

I just heard it was a Pantera rip-off, which is based on some truth.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 2:28 pm

I've always thought post-BME that Bizarro was a better band doing basically the same style:

https://www.reverbnation.com/bizarro

esp. "Abduction"

Features ex-Testament/Forbidden guitarist Glen Alvelais on vocals and guitars. Drummer is awesome too but I don't know who he is.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 3:26 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

I'm not bashing the song at all, it's one of the most awesome metal songs of the 1990s. But anyone who accuses any song from BME of having rapped vocals, then they automatically have to call this song's vocals rapping, too.

Yeah, that isn't rapping at all.

As for Burn My Eyes, many people have claimed that he raps on songs like "Old," "A Thousand Lies," and "Block." Because apparently a quasi-staccato vocal approach equates to rapping when you want to insult a band to justify your superior tastes in music. Haha.

I wouldn't call ".44 Caliber Brain Surgery" rapping, either, but it's closer to rap than most, if not all, songs on Burn My Eyes. (I was referring to the faster vocal sections of the song, mainly.)

Then again, I remember a couple of magazines had criticisms of KoRn saying, "They're not metal, they're rap." (I would agree they're not metal (yes, I know you disagree, Eyesore, but that's for a different thread), but they're not (and never were) even rap-rock! OK, they have maybe an EP worth of rap-rock songs in their catalog, but they have no predominant rap-rock albums. The first KoRn album, for instance, has not one bit of rapping; the aforementioned Demolition Hammer song comes closer to rap than any song from the first KoRn album. (The criticisms of KoRn that I mentioned were around the Follow the Leader/Issues period, when KoRn was at their peak in popularity, for those wondering.) I will say that I know that KoRn often performed alongside bands who were predominantly rap-rock bands, and that a lot of the rap-rock coming out around the same time KoRn was at their most popular did musically sound like KoRn (similar riffing style, similar guitar tone, etc.) but with rapped vocals, but that's also separate from calling KoRn rap-rock, let alone rap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head - Catharsis   Machine Head - Catharsis - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Machine Head - Catharsis
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next