Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands that never topped their 1st album

Go down 
+25
brokentulsa
Shawn Of Fire
Witchfinder
JBall_Z
glassprison
Big Rich
BearOnUnicycle
Wrecked Neck
Required Fields
candlemass
manny
mc666
kyleblack
exact33
tohostudios
Dark Horseman
nevermore
Troublezone
Lari
Leatherface
akeldama
Gilbert
Boris2008
FoJ
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 3:34 am

I would add Slayer here. I love Show no Mercy more than any of their latter releases. I know I'm probably in the minority, but to me it was the perfect album.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 5:49 am

Agreed on Dream Theater and Crimson Glory.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 6:01 am

GnR
Motley Crue
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 7:15 am

Ratt
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 7:38 am

Objectively I suppose there are a lot, but these days I honestly don't often listen to albums that I consider "the best" from a given band, usually because I've overplayed said album in the past.

So it's a bit difficult for me to separate a band's best album from the one that I most enjoy listening to at present.

To take the first example offered up--Slaughter--Stick It To Ya is unquestionably their best, but these days I am much more likely to put on Revolution or Fear No Evil as the songs on those just sound more fresh and interesting.

One of the sole exceptions for me would be KISS, where I think their debut was their absolute best album. But still, I listen to literally every single one of their albums as often as I listen to the debut.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 7:42 pm

RATT
Cinderella
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Nearly every NWOBHM band that managed to release an album.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6379

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 8:23 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Well, definitely don't count Saxon in that group.

I was just listening to Battering Ram. They sound better in 2016 than they did in 1979 on their debut.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6379

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 8:33 pm

FoJ wrote:
I totally agree with Dream Theater and Living Sacrifice.

BearOnUnicycle wrote:

People really think that? I never even heard the Dream Theater debut.

And I thought I hang out with a lot of DT fans and they all say either Images & Words or one of the new ones like Black Clouds (the weird DT dude).

No-one ever told me they prefer the debut. In fact, some even dislike it.

Maybe I should check it out. When Dream and Day Unite, right? So there's no confusion? I always felt James LaBrie was the weak link with that band.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Boston
Pearl Jam

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Know what Lari? I always forget DT had an album before Images and Words.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Lari wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Well, definitely don't count Saxon in that group.

I was just listening to Battering Ram. They sound better in 2016 than they did in 1979 on their debut.

I don't because Saxon's debut isn't very good. They are one of those bands that's aged like fine wine.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 7:38 am

Lari wrote:
FoJ wrote:
I totally agree with Dream Theater and Living Sacrifice.

BearOnUnicycle wrote:

People really think that? I never even heard the Dream Theater debut.

And I thought I hang out with a lot of DT fans and they all say either Images & Words or one of the new ones like Black Clouds (the weird DT dude).

No-one ever told me they prefer the debut. In fact, some even dislike it.

Maybe I should check it out. When Dream and Day Unite, right? So there's no confusion? I always felt James LaBrie was the weak link with that band.

People who don't really like progressive metal DT popularized with I&W and onwards, I suppose. When Dream... is different. If you have ever heard Elegy, I think they perfected that sound on thier Supremacy.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 12:28 am

crashdiet
Reckless Love
Keel
Metallica
Fastway
Ted Nugent
Motley Crue
Autograph
Montrose
Moxy
Badlands
Whitecross
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 am

Metal Church !
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 11:30 am

No way, Metal Church with Howe was way better.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40563

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 11:36 am

Metal Church ?

Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 200
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 12:45 pm

RATT - That E.P and "Out of the Cellar" are so much better than anything that came after. I enjoy "Invasion of Your Privacy" and was able to get on board with "Dancing Undercover". After that, not at all!

Since I'm not a huge King Diamond fan, I will say "Fatal Portrait" would be on my list of one that was never topped. It sounds the most like something from Mercyful Fate.

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 5:30 am

Guns n Roses is the first to come to mind.

Spread Eagle
Dangerous Toys
Tora Tora
Living Sacrifice
Firehouse
Slaughter
Badlands
Ugly Kid Joe
Britny Fox
Shotgun Messiah
Extol
Antithesis

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 8:13 pm

If Images and Words was Dream Theater's debut, I'd list them here. I like When Day and Dream Unite, but it's not a complete masterpiece like their second one is.

Boo to everyone who said Pearl Jam. Ten is awesome, but it's nowhere near their best. I think Vs is miles better, and I like their third, Vitalogy, a bit more as well.

I'd say Trouble's first album is better than anything they released after, but that's not to say they didn't release killer stuff afterwards.

An unpopular opinion I hold is that Nevermore's first album is their best. I find myself not able to really get too heavily into any of their other releases.

Ghost's first album is their best, too.

Back to top Go down
FoJ
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 76

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Honestly, I thought Images and Words was Dream Theater’s debut. Oops.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 11:59 pm

Common mistake since nobody heard it until after I and W.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands that never topped their 1st album   Bands that never topped their 1st album - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands that never topped their 1st album
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2