Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?

Go down 
+12
James B.
Witchfinder
glassprison
mc666
Glower
Fat Freddy
akeldama
nevermore
tohostudios
manny
Mac & Cheese
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Mac & Cheese
Metal novice
Metal novice
Mac & Cheese

Number of posts : 83

Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 6:53 pm

The lone Crue album with John Corabi on vocals. To me it didn't feel like a Motley record but I thought the record was amazing. In 1994 it was always in my CD player. To me I thought Corabi was a better singer than Vince. He brought a fresh approach to the band and I was disappointed that it didn't continue.

What's your guys thoughts?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 7:23 pm

IMO the best album Motley Crue ever did, thou nostalgia clouds my judgement, since the first two remain sentimental favorites.

That being said this was the first Motley Crue album that had songs beyond the usual t & a, the songs looked to be more mature not just in lyrical content but composition wise. Of course Motley Crue had read the rock tealeaves and knew doing another 'Girls! Girls! Girls!' or 'Dr. Feelgood' in the era of Soundgarden and Jane's Addiction would be commercial suicide, so the change of musical styles and getting Corabi, the antithesis of Vince Neil made perfect sense.

The problem was old Motley Crue fans couldn't give a rat's ass about Nirvana or Soundgarden, and in term Soundgarden fans saw them as everything that was wrong with rock in the 80's
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 7:29 pm

I like it.  And while I agree that Corabi is a better singer than Vince (I'm a Corabi fanboy) I thought the overall "catchiness" of the songwriting was missing.  It's a good album but I don't find many of the tunes as memorable as other Crue albums.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 7:41 pm

manny wrote:
IMO the best album Motley Crue ever did, thou nostalgia clouds my judgement, since the first two remain sentimental favorites.

This.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 7:50 pm

I'm a Corabi fanboy but when it first came out MC was my favorite band so I didn't give it a chance until a year later and I really liked it but still didn't give it the credit it deserves until 'Generation Swine' came out. I think it's their best album, their most cohesive and everybody shines on that album. It's my fave MC album and one of my all-time fave albums in general. I really like the Corabi era a lot and I own MC94 in the green, red (Crucial Crue) version and a Japanese version boxset with extra goodies & "Hypnotized" as the bonus 13th track. I also own various versions of the singles and two versions of the Quaternary EP.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 8:06 pm

I own it, haven't listened to it in awhile but "Hooligan's Holiday" is a decent track.

I seem to remember it getting kinda samey by the midway point, so the last half becomes a bit of a slog. Even more so with the "Crucial Crue" reissue I own,which has a couple of bonus tracks tacked on to the end that drag it out even longer.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 8:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I own it, haven't listened to it in awhile but "Hooligan's Holiday" is a decent track.

I seem to remember it getting kinda samey by the midway point, so the last half becomes a bit of a slog. Even more so with the "Crucial Crue" reissue I own,which has a couple of bonus tracks tacked on to the end that drag it out even longer.

Yeah that's how I remember it as well.  I enjoy Corabi's Union project more than his MC years.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Mac & Cheese

Number of posts : 83

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 8:25 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Yeah that's how I remember it as well.  I enjoy Corabi's Union project more than his MC years.

Union was pretty decent. I thought it was awesome that he teamed up with Bruce Kulick.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Never bought it - or listened to it.
The Crue book 'Dirt' talked about the ordeal.
Corabi talked about bringing a gal on the tour bus....
And he was gone less than 90 seconds to get drinks...
Tommy Lee was banging her when he returned with the drinks...
Corabi couldn't believe how fast Tommy had done it.
But the book mentioned how the arena was empty...tour cancelled.
They mentioned maybe how they should of changed up the band name to something else...etc
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 8:58 pm

I like it. Corabi is a great singer and there ate some really good tunes on it. However, without Vince Neil, it's hard to call it a Crue album.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 8:59 pm

It was ok, but nothing stuck. Forgettable immediately after I hear it.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 9:08 pm

I love Corabi's vocals and I hear now he's fronting Dead Daisies.  I have the two DD discs before he came on board and they're decent hard rock so I guess I need to check them out with Corabi on vox.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 9:19 pm

The first five songs on the S/T Crüe album are golden. I've only listened to the second half of the album a handful of times, and find it starts to get a bit boring. I wish I could have seen his solo tour a couple of years ago when he was playing the entire album straight through, including a bonus track or outtake as the encore.

I like Corabi's voice, but I haven't been able to get into the Dead Daisies. I found their recent album with him to be mediocre at best.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 9:50 pm

I hated it when it came out and now it's one of my favorites from their discography. It's aged incredibly well compared to much of their rest of their catalog.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 11:03 pm

I've never heard the entire album or had the desire to do so. Life is still wonderful.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 1:47 am

It's not a bad album. I didn't like it back when it was released because I was a big ol Crue fanboy. It still doesn't touch the greatness of the first few albums though.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 10:49 am

tohostudios wrote:
love Corabi's vocals and I hear now he's fronting Dead Daisies. I have the two DD discs before he came on board and they're decent hard rock so I guess I need to check them out with Corabi on vox.
Only the first one is without Corabi. The next two he is on and are great albums.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 10:55 am

This was the first crue album i had picked up in 1994. Haven't heard it in over a decade. Will give it a fresh spin.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Twenty years later....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
love Corabi's vocals and I hear now he's fronting Dead Daisies.  I have the two DD discs before he came on board and they're decent hard rock so I guess I need to check them out with Corabi on vox.
Only the first one is without Corabi. The next two he is on and are great albums.

There's an EP before the first proper album.  I have that and the first full CD and he's not on either one.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 7:37 pm

I don't count Eps but you are correct.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2017 10:18 am

I don't recall thinking much of it at the time of release, but it's certainly aged well. It still gets fairly regular spins from me, despite not really sounding like a traditional Crue album.

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?   Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts On The Self Titled Motley Crue CD?
Page 1 of 1