Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM

Go down 
+13
martinsane
Boris2008
Thelemech
Eyesore
tohostudios
scottmitchell74
exact33
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Stender
Lari
corplhicks
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 12:47 pm

Well, fellas, times are a changing and it looks like I'm gonna have to sell off my CD collection. I'd rather not indulge as to why, but I can say I feel comfortable going forward with it. Thanks to Spotify, Google Play, YouTube Red, Amazon Dot, etc (yeah yeah, preach to me all you want), I haven't spun a CD in MONTHS. The only time I approach my bookshelf they're loaded on is to dust. It's a very modest collection of 600 albums--a far cry from what most everyone around here has--and I'll be hanging onto the more noteworthy titles that I suspect may go out of print at some point or are just rare (Metal Church, Fear Not).

That said, what's my best way of getting this done quickly? I've noticed a couple of bulk buying websites where you scan the individual barcodes in and they give you a quote--sounds laborious--anyone know if that's legit? I could list them all off here as individual copies like DB did a while back. Does eBay have any promise? And how much does FYE take them for these days?

Any help is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6305

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Do what you will, but first post your collection here listening to music
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 pm

Lari wrote:
Do what you will, but first post your collection here listening to music

Even my Richard Marx? \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39186

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 1:30 pm

Yeah I'm sure you could get rid of a lot of your collection through here. I think what was remaining I'd try ebay. I'm not sure how FYE works but I just sold off a couple of old country cds that were my mother-inlaws to the CD Warehouse and only got like $9.00 in store credit (or if I chose ,$6.00 cash).
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 2:05 pm

I sold my collection off mainly on ebay and it worked out fine, If you list items the same time every week it's pretty likely that you will build a following from previous buyers/watchers. I listed each CD individually for a starting price usually a dollar or two less then any buy it now listings already on the site. Some stuff I got top dollar for, other stuff didn't go for as much as I had hoped, changing times and what not I guess. However, I did sell everything. The only tips I have are make items end in a general evening time, most folks are home and able to bid then. Also week ends are better then week days. Ship CD's as media because its much cheaper and more enticing for potential bidders.

I saw someone recently on ebay sell their whole collection by listing all the titles in one post with a buy it now option for any 10 cds at a set price. Maybe that is an option for you if you want to get rid of everything quick.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7606

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Got any stuff I want? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Stender wrote:
I sold my collection off mainly on ebay and it worked out fine, If you list items the same time every week it's pretty likely that you will build a following from previous buyers/watchers. I listed each CD individually for a starting price usually a dollar or two less then any buy it now listings already on the site. Some stuff I got top dollar for, other stuff didn't go for as much as I had hoped, changing times and what not I guess. However, I did sell everything. The only tips I have are make items end in a general evening time, most folks are home and able to bid then. Also week ends are better then week days. Ship CD's as media because its much cheaper and more enticing for potential bidders.

I saw someone recently on ebay sell their whole collection by listing all the titles in one post with a buy it now option for any 10 cds at a set price. Maybe that is an option for you if you want to get rid of everything quick.

That's pretty good advice, if you're gonna go the ebay route. Yea, it can be allot of work, but in the end, you'll probably do better $$$-wise then selling it off in one big chunk. I've been thinning out my collection quite a bit that way and I've been pretty happy with the return I've gotten. Start 'em low and let bidders fight it out. Some you'll win, some you'll lose.

If you want to get rid of things in one lump sum, you can also try Craigslist. It doesn't cost anything to list, but you might have to haggle a bit on the final cost or deal with creepy people. What I've found mostly though in my dealings with both selling and buying on Craigslist is that the "quoted" price is rarely the "sold" price. People on there are looking for bargains. Then again, there is no middle man taking a piece of your action (ie. ebay and Paypal). When I sold things on Craigslist, I always listed a higher price, knowing that I'd probably go lower. And I never had a problem asking a seller "You want $50? I'll give you $40 right now".

I don't know of any brick-and-mortar stores that will take whole collections anymore. Maybe pawn shops, but they'll give you pennies on the dollar. And f**k FYE on principal.

And last but not least, don't forget your metal brethren here at the HoM. We can be quite generous. Sometimes. Cool

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 4:31 pm

i have been pondering selling off my cds as well but not sure i would really get what i would want.

scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 5:03 pm

Show us what you got!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 5:59 pm

its not quite up to date but http://exact3.tripod.com/pmcdlist.html

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 8:34 pm

Y'all have given me a good amount to chew on, thank you. Most likely I'll list them off here and grapple with ebay thereafter. Next question is how much to list them for. eBay seems more viable with the bidding deal, but I definitely don't want to overprice them here (btw HoM members will get a slight discount Wink )

And Witchie, there's a good chance you pretty much own everything I'm selling Laughing
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 8:55 pm

I've also been thinking about selling a bunch of my CDs.

But take my advice, before you even offer them up here, look around on Ebay and Amazon and see what they're going for because you might be surprised. I've found CD's I'd have sold for about $5 for 5 to 20 times that amount. Several years ago I was burned by promising to sell some Running Wild CDs to an HoM member for cheap before I knew what they were worth. Since I already gave my word on the price I followed thru with the sale but I won't ever make that mistake again.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 9:54 pm

I'd sell my collection if it wouldn't be such a nightmare.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 10:03 pm

It does seem like a major nightmare.

I think I'll just hang on to them until I get to the point where I have to sell them.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7606

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 10:19 pm

corplhicks wrote:

And Witchie, there's a good chance you pretty much own everything I'm selling Laughing

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 10:58 pm

Since my father passed last year I have sold about 200-250 CDs to keep myself in beer and ganja.

I have since stopped selling any but I just needed the crutches at the time.

I sold all of them to a local independent Record and CD store and considering the current market for CDs I got some good coin for them.

corp - I hope you get a good bit of cash for them and don't sell cheap. \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 11:20 pm

exact33 wrote:
its not quite up to date but http://exact3.tripod.com/pmcdlist.html
Not you, silly, corprlhicks!

But I'll look at yours, too. Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM 754598

I hate ebay!! Between ebay and paypal they gouge the "F" out of you, but I also know no other way of having such a wide market to sell things...it just hurts to know that 10%+ is gone right off the bat. Grrr....
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeThu Mar 16, 2017 8:03 pm

Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM 63625746

This guy seems interested!
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Any way you slice it it will be a hassle.

Dependent upon the quantity the best option is to find someone to take the lot. Sure you may not get top dollar for that unknown rarity but you will also be able to offload the ones no one cares about (those Britney Spears discs that you can't give away).

On another board some of us peruse, Heavy Harmonies, we discuss this topic regularly and there are WAAAAYYYY to many Ebay horror stories with fees and paypal scams and just dishonest people to be a huge concern and burden.

As for any used stores, dependent upon your locale you will lose big especially if yo bring in a gaggle. You will be lucky to get pennies for them and then see them on the shelf a week later for real money.

Just my 2cents do with it what you will.

Best of luck, again make a list and a bundle value and go from there would be my advice.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 3:35 pm

martinsane wrote:

As for any used stores, dependent upon your locale you will lose big especially if yo bring in a gaggle. You will be lucky to get pennies for them and then see them on the shelf a week later for real money.

But those CDs might sit on the shelf for like 2-10 years. The actual margin of profit for shops like that isn't that great. You have to pay rent, salary, and some of the stuff they buy might not ever sell.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Lari wrote:
martinsane wrote:

But those CDs might sit on the shelf for like 2-10 years. The actual margin of profit for shops like that isn't that great. You have to pay rent, salary, and some of the stuff they buy might not ever sell.

Meh, if you pay a quarter for a disc and then ask $20 you are asking for inventory.

If you pay a quarter and ask a dollar you will move more product, get more customers in the store and in turn make more $$$. Simple economics.

My buddy and I used to collect VHS tapes WAAAAY back in the late 80's and there was a shop we would go to cause it always had a lot of tapes. However the guy would place ridiculous values on what he considered "rare".

As the story goes the guy had 2 copies of Evil Dead, you know in the big cardboard clam shell, that he had priced at $80 bucks a piece and these 2 videos sat high on a shelf in this store for over 2 years!!!! Every week we would go in the store and my buddy would offer him $50 bucks for a copy and every time the guy would say no. Long story long the store closed with both copies still on the shelf.

Moral of the story is the guy could have sold the tape bought more inventory sold more tapes and came out way ahead. BUy fair sell fair turn more product and make good $$$ doing it.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 4:05 pm

CDs don't move as fast as they used to.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Lari wrote:

I dunno if I agree. They just don't move at the prices they once did. Metal collectors still want CD and vinyl, even cassette.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeMon May 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Stender wrote:
Lari wrote:

I dunno if I agree. They just don't move at the prices they once did. Metal collectors still want CD and vinyl, even cassette.

Agreed. You have have to know WHAT you're selling and WHO your target audience is.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitimeFri May 26, 2017 7:55 am

Ive also considered it as I use mp3s now a days though some stuff id hold on too, like all my Bowie, and other favorite bands. Id just assume rip them all to mp3 and throw them on an external and then make a backup
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM   Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for selling CDs--ALL OF THEM
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next