Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Selling CDs

Go down 
+11
nevermore
thejokeriv
Gilbert
ZombieHavoc
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Witchfinder
Thelemech
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 7:29 pm

I just sold my In Flames collection, 5 albums strong. I was wondering if any of you sell stuff that is great theoretically but that you yourself have not been able to appreciate their supposed greatness?? I tried and tried to get into In Flames but only one album really connected and that was a supposedly sell out album (Sounds Of A Playground Fading).

I guess I am asking if you trim the fat on your collections or do you keep everything that is supposedly fantastic?? Just to keep it so to speak.

Laughing very hard Edit - I sure like the word supposed

Last edited by Thelemech on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 7:47 pm

I used to sell things either for financial reasons (I was broke and needed coin) or because I thought the album was terrible. Nowadays, I keep everything. I am much less likely to buy an album I don't like these days because I can preview everything on Spotify, Youtube, etc... before I buy.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 7:48 pm

I don't keep stuff just for the sake of keeping stuff.

I do however now check what the stuff I want to get rid of is going for on Amazon/Ebay before I unload them.

Several years back I stupidly offered up some Running Wild CDs for sale because I'd been sitting on them for years and never played them. I think I charged $8 a CD only to later find out the things were going for about three times that or more on Amazon. I sold them to someone on this board (I forget who) and I honored my stupid original price but I learned my lesson. Check the going rate for CDs you want to sell before you actually offer them up.

So the answer to your actual question is no, I don't keep anything just because critics/fans/whoever think it's great. If I think it sucks and it's going for a reasonable price elsewhere (meaning it's not "investement-worthy"), I try to sell it off.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 7:55 pm

I don't sell my CDs but I do cull the herd occasionally via trading.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 9:15 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I do however now check what the stuff I want to get rid of is going for on Amazon/Ebay before I unload them.  

Several years back I stupidly offered up some Running Wild CDs for sale because I'd been sitting on them for years and never played them.  I think I charged $8 a CD only to later find out the things were going for about three times that or more on Amazon.  I sold them to someone on this board (I forget who) and I honored my stupid original price but I learned my lesson.  Check the going rate for CDs you want to sell before you actually offer them up.

So the answer to your actual question is no, I don't keep anything just because critics/fans/whoever think it's great.  If I think it sucks and it's going for a reasonable price elsewhere (meaning it's not "investement-worthy"), I try to sell it off.

I can see what you mean about asking the real value for the CD and doing your best to get said worth.
I am pretty sure that the 40 or so CDs I have trimmed were not worth that much as I tend to be very particular in my purchases and only sell that which is pretty common fare.

I guess I was feeling a little guilty about selling the In flames collection since they are supposedly so great, OCD I guess Razz but no point in them just sitting there when I could use the cash.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I don't sell my CDs but I do cull the herd occasionally via trading.

I should keep trading in mind, but I usually only break down and sell something when I am low on disposable cash. I am sure I had a few disks someone would have wanted.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Thelemech wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Several years back I stupidly offered up some Running Wild CDs for sale because I'd been sitting on them for years and never played them.  I think I charged $8 a CD only to later find out the things were going for about three times that or more on Amazon.  I sold them to someone on this board (I forget who) and I honored my stupid original price but I learned my lesson.  Check the going rate for CDs you want to sell before you actually offer them up.

So the answer to your actual question is no, I don't keep anything just because critics/fans/whoever think it's great.  If I think it sucks and it's going for a reasonable price elsewhere (meaning it's not "investement-worthy"), I try to sell it off.

I can see what you mean about asking the real value for the CD and doing your best to get said worth.
I am pretty sure that the 40 or so CDs I have trimmed were not worth that much as I tend to be very particular in my purchases and only sell that which is pretty common fare.

I guess I was feeling a little guilty about selling the In flames collection since they are supposedly so great, OCD I guess Razz  but no point in them just sitting there when I could use the cash.

Look at it like you're giving the CDs a better home. You sent them to a place where they will be more appreciated. Laughing

And made a few bucks in the process...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 9:19 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I used to sell things either for financial reasons (I was broke and needed coin) or because I thought the album was terrible.  Nowadays, I keep everything.  I am much less likely to buy an album I don't like these days because I can preview everything on Spotify, Youtube, etc... before I buy.    

Yeah i basically sold the In Flames disks and about 40 or so other disks over the last couple of months for the extra cash. Mostly common stuff though nothing really rare.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 10:09 pm

I don't usually sell anything cuz I don't have the time for an auction site and the few chain stores around my area don't give you more than a buck or two. I hang onto a lot of stuff. I really should make a trade list or a sell list and post it here with a set price regardless of CD.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39467

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 10:21 pm

I pretty much keep everything nowadays. I used to sell from time to time (mainly from upgrades or space eaters) but that has't happened in quite a while. I've been a little more conscientious on my collection buying.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 8:23 am

the sentinel wrote:
I don't usually sell anything cuz I don't have the time for an auction site and the few chain stores around my area don't give you more than a buck or two. I hang onto a lot of stuff. I really should make a trade list or a sell list and post it here with a set price regardless of CD.

Only a buck or two?? That seems incredibly cheap of them, here if it is a good CD you might get 5 to 10 dollars. It probably equals out though as CD are very expensive in my city from 16.99 to 29.99 for a single album.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 8:27 am

007 wrote:
I pretty much keep everything nowadays. I used to sell from time to time (mainly from upgrades or space eaters) but that has't happened in quite a while. I've been a little more conscientious on my collection buying.

I did do some upgrades and unfortunately found out that the remaster did not always really sound better - just louder. I also just recently gave all my doubles and unwanted unsaleable extras to a friend just to trim some fat and make room for more Metal classics \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 10:14 am

Thelemech wrote:
I was wondering if any of you sell stuff that is great theoretically but that you yourself have not been able to appreciate their supposed greatness??

I have this very same debate every time I look at my Savatage collection. I have all of their studio albums (except Handful of Rain) and I listen to like, maybe 3 of them. They just never clicked with me in any meaningful way, but every time I think of selling them off, I just can't bring myself to do it. "Maybe I just need to be in the right mood for Poets & Madmen?".

As for my collection, I have no problem trimming the fat every now & then. Especially since I rip most of 'em to the computer now, just in case I want to revisit something. And since I usually put the proceeds to buy more cds, I don't feel guilty about the spending.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 9:06 pm

Thelemech wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Only a buck or two?? That seems incredibly cheap of them, here if it is a good CD you might get 5 to 10 dollars. It probably equals out though as CD are very expensive in my city from 16.99 to 29.99 for a single album.

Yeah. The Newbury comics chain and FYE are most frequent haunts and they advertise "paying cash" for used stuff. The last time I sold to them was 2009. I brought in a few discs that I was upgrading (AC/DC, Aerosmith, Metallica) and they literally gave $17 for about a dozen discs. My best mate sold off about 50 or so and they gave him like $60. But, like you said, it's all relative as I have picked up 2 and 3 disc sets in good shape for under $10.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 9:07 am

If I don't like something, there is no way I'm keeping it. I just don't see the point. I don't care if it's supposed to be the best metal album in existence, if I don't like it, it's not worth the space, the clutter, the possession.

I try to limit what I own as best I can. I never buy CDs that cost a dollar just because they have a good song on it or are okay and "worth a buck". I've got to love an album to make it worthy of owning, regardless of price. I'd rather pay $30 for an album I love and will spin frequently than spend $30 for 10 or 15 cheapie albums that I'm only getting because they are okay and dirt cheap. Of course, finding a CD you love the hell out of for a dollar or two is a great thing.

Yes, 10 years from now you might hear some In Flames song and think, damn, that is actually clicking with me now, i wish I still had Whoracle. And if that ever happens, just buy a used copy of Whoracle. Don't give it a second thought until then.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2016 10:32 am

I think that's one of the other reasons I hang onto stuff, is the hope it clicks someday and I don't hve to chase it down and rebuy it. Also, there be collector's blood runnin' through Sentinel's veins! AArrggh!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 11:12 am

I never sell and prefer to keep everything.

Eventually every cd will go out of print or become hard to acquire. So it is better to keep all.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 7:31 pm

I never sell either, just can't do it. You can never have too many CD's!!!!!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2016 10:33 pm

I do trim the fat in my collection from time to time. If I feel that the cd may be collecting too much dust I'll sell it or trade it.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 12:38 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

What he said. Smile

I do have a fairly large trade list that is need of an update and have traded with a grip of kids here in the past.

Here in Washington State the "state" of used cd shops is depressing. No one buys used cd's and if they if they do/did it would be for pennies on the dollar. And as stated online auctions and the like are a pain and there are to many con artists to make it worth the effort. If I did have something I needed to sell I would try privately through the handful of sites I troll.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2016 10:11 pm

I just sold the complete Amon Amarth discography all in Deluxe Editions. Only got 55$ for them, but I was so tired of listening to the same album over and over again. The only one I will miss is The Twilight Of The Thundergod, but I made sure to put that one on the computer.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 12:19 am

At this point, I would sell my entire collection if it were easy to do so.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:
At this point, I would sell my entire collection if it were easy to do so.

You've said this before but lets be honest, no-one is going to buy 56 squillion CD's from you in one pop and give you a decent price for them. Razz
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 2:41 pm

martinsane wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

What he said. Smile

I do have a fairly large trade list that is need of an update and have traded with a grip of kids here in the past.

Here in Washington State the "state" of used cd shops is depressing. No one buys used cd's and if they if they do/did it would be for pennies on the dollar. And as stated online auctions and the like are a pain and there are to  many con artists to make it worth the effort. If I did have something I needed to sell I would try privately through the handful of sites I troll.

I haven't sold many records or CD's on eBay but I have sold a lot of stuff and most people have been cool (I got conned on a gold coin but that was it)
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 1:21 pm

I've been selling off bits and pieces of my collection recently on ebay and while the market is certainly not what it used to be, I'm still making decent money overall. Especially considering some of the crap treasures I'm trying to unload. Razz

Selling CDs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Selling CDs   Selling CDs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Selling CDs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next